Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting Learners - After Valuable Road/Riding Tips

Bike
    1986 Honda CMX450 Rebel

Getting Learners - After Valuable Road/Riding Tips

Hey Bikees!

I'm a newbie as I still need to get my learners before going on the road. The dangers of being on the road on a vulnerable motorcycle with other road users is certainly concerning. What is some of the best advice you have or have learned that you'd be kind enough to pass on?

Would be greatly appreciated guys!!

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Welcome to KB. What you must do is this.
    Ask questions, take notes, ask more questions.
    You will quickly get a feel for who knows what and what advice is good or not so good.
    There are many good people here in KB, some hard to understand, some ready and willing to help,some always ready for a laugh or a practical joke, but almost without exception they will all tell you the same thing don't ever ever take anything a particular member tells you as fact.
    I'm picking you will have the name of this person figured out in pretty quick order, enjoy your bike and keep asking questions and doing all you can to make your riding safe and enjoyable, if it's not fun, it's not worth doing.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    c*ssina is a fuckwit.

Bike
    KTM
    I don't know if this is some sort of stupid troll but frankly i've had too much to drink to care

anyway these are my top tips I give to every one who asks about riding.

1: do you have good hand-eye co-ordination / reaction speed? if no, find another method of transport. planning your line and anticipating issues before they occur is one thing, but reaction times are a huge part of the equation.

2: get a bright helmet, don't care what colour but make it super obvious and preferably white, high vis yellow or orange. doesn't matter what colour your gear or bike is when there is a road cone at head height keeping people honest.

3: ride. ride. ride. go on missions early in the morning when there is little traffic. then get used to heading into the city on your normal commute path, just leave a little earlier than normal. it also means you can leave work earlier too

4: practice emergency braking every now and again. empty road? stop sign? pull up as tight as you can and then when the inevitable occurs you will use this and and little of step 1 to not die.

5: everyone is going to want to push the limits a little, just make sure you're the only person around so you can't hurt anyone but yourself if you mess up.

Bike
    1986 Honda CMX450 Rebel
    Thanks so much! The helmet one probably struck me the most as it's easy to choose black simply for the mutual/biker look. I think i'll stick with white!
    Last edited by Cruiser45097; 13th February 2018 at 18:36. Reason: Added points for discussion

Bike
    '08 Wee
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser45097 View Post
    Thanks so much! The helmet one probably struck me the most as it's easy to choose black simply for the mutual/biker look. I think i'll stick with white!
    Try and make sure it fits properly first and then look at the graphics options. Why I purchase helmets in person.

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Do training...

suggest the CBTA path...

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Moi View Post
    Do training...

suggest the CBTA path...
    I concur. PM rastuscat on here and he will sort you out and give you the best start.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    1994 Triumph Trophy 1200
    What is some of the best advice you have or have learned that you'd be kind enough to pass on?

Two things

1) No one else on the road, footpath etc can see you
    2) Never ever listen to or believe what Cassina say's

Quote Jan 2020 Posted by Katman

Life would be so much easier if you addressed questions with a simple answer.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Formal training is absolutely worth while.

Then, ignore all that shit and split lanes, pin it to win it, do skids and wheelies because that shit is cool.

If you live, we'll teach you the special handshake, and the secret wave.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Watch out for dogs

Speed up for Busses

Use CRC to repair a seized engine

(ignore two and three above, then do a riding course)

Bike
    R1200RT LC

Beginners Guide Motorcycle Licensing

Where do I start.

There's two processes in NZ for getting through your licence.

The old system has been around for almost 30 years, and has remained basically the same. 6 months on your 6L, practical test, 18 months on your 6R, practical test, 6F.

The new system, CBTA, has been around for 3 or 4 years. Competency Based Training and Assessment. No minimum time on your 6L. 12 months on your 6R, 6F.

The CBTA Assessments are a little more detailed, and are conducted by a CBTA qualified motorcycle instructor. Thats why you get time discounts. Coz you've proved to someone who knows, that your riding meets a higher standard.

The good news about CBTA Training is it's largely paid for by ACC through their Ride Forever programme. It's cheap, as it's subsidised by ACC. The assessments still cost, but the training is dead cheap.

We believe that CBTA turns out safer riders. Basically because until you work with a professional instructor, you don't know what you don't know.

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Basically because until you work with a professional instructor, you don't know what you don't know.
    This is true.

In the case of motorcycling unconscious ignorance can end very badly, if you don't ride with very competent riders who are willing to give you advice and tell you what you're doing wrong, get some professional instruction.

Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    Then, ignore all that shit and split lanes, pin it to win it, do skids and wheelies because that shit is cool.
    This is also true, but you need to learn to ride it proper first.
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    ... What is some of the best advice you have or have learned that you'd be kind enough to pass on?

Starting off your riding by getting a reliable machine. Things can only get better ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Basically because until you work with a professional instructor, you don't know what you don't know.
    But if you dont know what you dont know how do you know you need to know it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Thread Information