Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Four dead and two hurt today

Bike
    Old Bikes

Four dead and two hurt today

A bad day for bikers today.

Three accidents. Four dead and two seriously hurt.

We need to take a good hard look at ourselves and the way we do business. This is profoundly sad.

Bike
    Yo momma
    Group rides are a recipe for disaster and should be avoided at all costs.

Bike
    KTM
    Thankfully JAG is on maternity leave otherwise she'd probabaly have banned motorcycles by now.

The anti motorcycle movement is spinning up, enjoy your petrol powered monster while you still can, lads

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonu View Post
    Group rides are a recipe for disaster and should be avoided at all costs.
    Group rides are only risky because of the way they are conducted. They can be safe, and enjoyable.

The key is people not getting too close to each other, and not getting fixated on the rider ahead.

Familiarity breeds contempt.

2 second rule minimum following distance folks.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Even riding in the same lane as another motorbike can be dangerous. I'm following someone in the right lane on the motorway, he was in the RH wheel track so I was to his left and should have been clearly visible.

We're coming up to an off ramp, he hits the brakes at the last minute and exits. I was a safe distance behind, but still had to brake to avoid him.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    Even riding in the same lane as another motorbike can be dangerous. I'm following someone in the right lane on the motorway, he was in the RH wheel track so I was to his left and should have been clearly visible.

We're coming up to an off ramp, he hits the brakes at the last minute and exits. I was a safe distance behind, but still had to brake to avoid him.
    You need to be able to stop in the distance you see to be clear in your own lane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    You need to be able to stop in the distance you see to be clear in your own lane.
    Exactly, I was able to brake and avoid him. He was almost beside the offramp and had to brake to exit. No signal of course, just hard on the brakes and a dive to the left.

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    I ride with our local Ulysses branch from time to time. I never go on the rides to auckland because it is on SH1 and too much traffic for group riding IMO. Lucky for me, we are spoilt for choice up here and our branch actively encourages everyone to ride at their own pace which means that the group gets widely spread which I like. The Harley boys I see riding on SH1 in mobs, overtaking en masse are just an accident waiting to happen. I can,t watch!
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    Indian Scout
    Sad news.

fuel for the nanny state to legistrate us off the roads along with e-scooters.

Charity rides do seem to feature too often? The few I've joined were scary though. Too many clowns in close proximity is bad mix. From what I heard on TV the Southland crash was a head on between 2 bikes on a bend by the picture. Always stay on your side of the centreline people. Sadly with head on crashes one party was innocent.

I'm riding the SI in two weeks and these tragedies make me nervous.
    Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination

Bike
    Aprillia RSV1000R 92 KX500
    Blog Entries
    This time of year always seems to be really bad

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post

I had similar on Friday. Was tootling along minding my own business on the flat between Rimutaka Hill and Te Marua, a Harley appears from behind, appearing to materialise out of thin air on my 2 o'clock. He'd done an overtake inside my lane, maybe a meter clearance between us. Part of that might be on me, I have a longterm bad habit of centering in the lane or riding in the left wheel track, but I genuinely had no idea that he was there. If I'd corrected to the right hand wheel track it could have got very ugly.

Bike
    SuperScooter 2010
    Saw an old guy on a Harley blow through a double lane roundabout. Ignored the lane markings, no indication, changed lanes again just after the roundabout with no indication, only form of PPE was a black hard hat of some kind.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MD View Post
    Sad news.
    Charity rides do seem to feature too often? The few I've joined were scary though. Too many clowns in close proximity is bad mix.
    True that.

The risks arise when you ride with people you don't know. If you only ride with people you know to be sensible you should be OK.

Rules for group rides:

Rule 1. Arrive on time with a full tank and an empty bladder.

Rule 2. Go your own speed.

If they can't manage rule 1, and many can't, they can ride with somebody else. I'm probably going elsewhere.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by MD View Post

I'm riding the SI in two weeks and these tragedies make me nervous.
    They should. The SI in summer tourist season is dangerous.
    Last edited by onearmedbandit; 18th November 2018 at 17:52.

Bike
    Valkyrie 1500 ,HD softail, BMW r1150r
    Quote Originally Posted by Zipper2T View Post
    Saw an old guy on a Harley blow through a double lane roundabout. Ignored the lane markings, no indication, changed lanes again just after the roundabout with no indication, only form of PPE was a black hard hat of some kind.
    Did he crash? Was he in a group? Did he cause a near crash?
    Do you have a point?
    Opinions are like arseholes: Everybody has got one, but that doesn't mean you got to air it in public all the time....

Thread Information