Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 100km without getting my arse off the bike

Bike
    Nothing :(
    Blog Entries

100km without getting my arse off the bike

A continuation of my "So I went out for a ride tonight" thread here http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...a-ride-tonight

Riding for 2.1 weeks now (not incl. the couple of lessons i had in a car park). This time last week the thought of going on a main road was unnerving, the motorway? unthinkable! Tackled the motorway Sunday just been, the harbour bridge yesterday and had a longish ride today. Been getting out almost any chance I can when its not been raining and/or I haven't had to work, not all of us get time off, slackers! (kidding!!)

Anyway first ride for 100km without getting my semi fat arse off the bike. Birkenhead to Orewa, tiki tour around, through Silverdale briefly then back on the motorway and all the way to Manukau, didnt get off the whole time, 100km done and dusted (technically it was 98km if you want to be super anal about it) grabbed some sushi, had a drink then back to birkenhead. My wee adventures have tuckered me out and I've only done 160km in total today what a soft touch.....

Had first mentor-ing session with a KB mentor yesterday, went really well, need to work on a few things before seeing him again but all in all was a great confidence booster!

What will tomorrow bring? What milestones next?
    Becoming fearless isn't the point. That's impossible. It's learning how to control your fear, and how to be free from it.

Bike
    R100GSPD
    Quote Originally Posted by bosslady View Post
    A continuation of my "So I went out for a ride tonight" thread here http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...a-ride-tonight

Riding for 2.1 weeks now (not incl. the couple of lessons i had in a car park). This time last week the thought of going on a main road was unnerving, the motorway? unthinkable! Tackled the motorway Sunday just been, the harbour bridge yesterday and had a longish ride today. Been getting out almost any chance I can when its not been raining and/or I haven't had to work, not all of us get time off, slackers! (kidding!!)

Anyway first ride for 100km without getting my semi fat arse off the bike. Birkenhead to Orewa, tiki tour around, through Silverdale briefly then back on the motorway and all the way to Manukau, didnt get off the whole time, 100km done and dusted (technically it was 98km if you want to be super anal about it) grabbed some sushi, had a drink then back to birkenhead. My wee adventures have tuckered me out and I've only done 160km in total today what a soft touch.....

Had first mentor-ing session with a KB mentor yesterday, went really well, need to work on a few things before seeing him again but all in all was a great confidence booster!

well done.Keep the sessions short enough so you can still stay mentally alert too,not just the physical side of it.Also be aware that a ride in adverse consitions can be more taxing than ideal conditions.The wind can have a huge effect on things

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex

What will tomorrow bring?
    Another six threads?

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWST? View Post
    well done.Keep the sessions short enough so you can still stay mentally alert too,not just the physical side of it.Also be aware that a ride in adverse consitions can be more taxing than ideal conditions.The wind can have a huge effect on things
    You're quite right, I knew to pack it in and go home, I'd had enough for the day. It wasn't raining, clearly, there was a little wind which as a newbie definitely keeps you on your toes but adverse conditions wise was pretty mild.

Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    Another six threads?
    Thanks for your kind words, surprisingly the first sarcastic comment I've had so far, so I've done well! I have tried to keep most of my posts to singular threads but nonetheless... There will be other newbies out there that will find it interesting to read, I know I've found it interesting reading about how newbies have progressed. Anyway thanks for feeding my thread.
    Becoming fearless isn't the point. That's impossible. It's learning how to control your fear, and how to be free from it.

Bike
    R100GSPD
    You're quite right, I knew to pack it in and go home, I'd had enough for the day. It wasn't raining, clearly, there was a little wind which as a newbie definitely keeps you on your toes but adverse conditions wise was pretty mild.

Thanks for your kind words, surprisingly the first sarcastic comment I've had so far, so I've done well! I have tried to keep most of my posts to singular threads but nonetheless... There will be other newbies out there that will find it interesting to read, I know I've found it interesting reading about how newbies have progressed. Anyway thanks for feeding my thread.
    dont mind him.He means well but he cant help himself.I dont know what he said cos i have him on ignore but i bet it was very helpful

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    ... then back on the motorway and all the way to Manukau,
    Missed the turn-off to your place .. or forgot where you lived .. ???

By the next mentoring session ... you will have a few more questions ... as you think of them, write them down. (I forget such things if I don't)

That full tank ride still awaits ...

Reserve is optional ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    I dont know what he said cos i have him on ignore but i bet it was very helpful
    Don't lie - I bet you peeked.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Another six threads?
    Give her a break ...

Her post count is rising ... "Senior Member" is 325 posts ... and she'll be able to see who gives (and has given) rep. Probably the (HER) "Next milestone" ...

I reckon that might be before Friday ...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    dont mind him.He means well but he cant help himself.I dont know what he said cos i have him on ignore but i bet it was very helpful
    I don't ignore anybody ... But I don't always do as they say I should ... or believe what they write ... or even read what they write. ( if it suits... me .. !!)

Bike
    Baby Gixxer
    Blog Entries
    Don't be surprised if you get a sore bottom once longer rides are a regular part of your routine. Don't lean on your wrists either, so they don't bear extra unintentional weight (although that becomes more of an issue once you have a bike which doesn't have such an upright riding position).

I find the quickest indicator that I'm getting tired on a ride (and therefore potentially less aware of hazards etc.) is a reduction in my mirror checking/eye movement i.e. eyes moving within a relatively small scanning distance rather than your "bubble".

P.s. just checked your bike, so my comment about leaning on wrists won't apply as you ride a ginny. Something to think about for later perhaps.
    I lahk to moove eet moove eet...

Katman to steveb64
    I'd hate to ever have to admit that my arse had been owned by a Princess.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Missed the turn-off to your place .. or forgot where you lived .. ???
    Shush you! No, I wanted to ride further but wasn't sure where I wanted to go :P

Give her a break ...

Her post count is rising ... "Senior Member" is 325 posts ... and she'll be able to see who gives (and has given) rep. Probably the (HER) "Next milestone" ...

I reckon that might be before Friday ...

Cheeky bugger pretty sure my membership is too green to be considered a senior member, regardless of post count so that's definitely not the motive behind my posting :P Single young lady, no hobbies, no social life, blame it on that!
    Last edited by bosslady; 1st January 2013 at 16:29. Reason: quote

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    Don't be surprised if you get a sore bottom once longer rides are a regular part of your routine.
    Free bottom massages are often often offered to ladies requiring such on some group rides ...

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    Don't be surprised if you get a sore bottom once longer rides are a regular part of your routine. Don't lean on your wrists either, so they don't bear extra unintentional weight (although that becomes more of an issue once you have a bike which doesn't have such an upright riding position).

I find the quickest indicator that I'm getting tired on a ride (and therefore potentially less aware of hazards etc.) is a reduction in my mirror checking/eye movement i.e. eyes moving within a relatively small scanning distance rather than your "bubble".

P.s. just checked your bike, so my comment about leaning on wrists won't apply as you ride a ginny. Something to think about for later perhaps.
    ahhh was about to ask what you meant about leaning on wrists but just seen your edit, lol. I do need to relax though and was told as much by my mentor. Had major "death grip" riding on the mway, apparently when you ride faster-ish you need to hold on for dear life (no, you don't)! I'll keep an eye on those warning signs you mentioned though for sure.

Bike
    Baby Gixxer
    Blog Entries
    Free bottom massages are often often offered to ladies requiring such on some group rides ...
    Shit, I obviously ride with the wrong crowd then...
    I lahk to moove eet moove eet...

Katman to steveb64
    I'd hate to ever have to admit that my arse had been owned by a Princess.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    wow, good to hear, knew I got into biking for all the right reasons

Thread Information