Thread: New old Burt stuff

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure

New old Burt stuff

Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    bandit
    Cool - I'll add that to my 'must read' list ...
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    bandit
    It's a great read. If you'v e ever heard Bert/Burt speak his voice comes through clearly.

The inserted explanations from Birss - such as his explanations of shearing gang slang, of Imperial v US measurements etc) I find a little annoying ... but the book is written for a very wide audience so there's a lot in what Burt says that needs explanation for an audience who does not know what FN means in motorcycle terms .. and once you get into it it's not too distracting.

I'd recommend it as a great book to read. Burt's character comes through strongly .. and his dedication to making the bikes go faster ...
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    less than I used to have
    Quote Originally Posted by Banditbandit View Post
    ...written for a very wide audience so there's a lot in what Burt says that needs explanation for an audience who does not know

...a little like sitting in a movie in a small US town and being only one of about three people roaring with laughter at 'Crocodile Dundee' when it was first released...the Americans were bamboozled by the whole antipodean thing...

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by ellipsis View Post
    ...a little like sitting in a movie in a small US town and being only one of about three people roaring with laughter at 'Crocodile Dundee' when it was first released...the Americans were bamboozled by the whole antipodean thing...
    From what I found there last year they still are. They seem extremely insulated from every other culture. I noticed the well OTT outcry about Steve Adams' comment about "quick little monkeys", they simply couldn't see any way it meant anything other than a nasty racial slur.

I think the Kiwi big OE is a fucking excellent institution, if only for the slightly broader cultural spread it gives a lot of us. Can't remember exactly how many Yanks even hold passports but it's not many.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Thread Information