Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mythbusters: Cars vs. motorcycles

Bike
    03' VTR250

Mythbusters: Cars vs. motorcycles

Although I'm sure there aren't many of us who choose to ride instead of drive purely to reduce our environmental impact, there certainly has (at least in the past) been suggestion that we are less environmentally harming than the cages. Mythbusters season premiere is going to investigate this over bikes from the 80's-00's and in real world conditions. I know what I think the result will be, but will be interesting to see and by what sort of margin

http://news.discovery.com/earth/myth...mkcpgn=fbdsc17
    Be not afraid of greatness; some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon 'em

Bike
    A Japper
    Quote Originally Posted by oracle View Post
    Although I'm sure there aren't many of us who choose to ride instead of drive purely to reduce our environmental impact, there certainly has (at least in the past) been suggestion that we are less environmentally harming than the cages. Mythbusters season premiere is going to investigate this over bikes from the 80's-00's and in real world conditions. I know what I think the result will be, but will be interesting to see and by what sort of margin

http://news.discovery.com/earth/myth...mkcpgn=fbdsc17
    I always enjoy Mythbusters so I'm looking forward to it.

Bike
    a red heap
    you dont get 180+ hp out of 998cc by being nice to trees.

Bike
    Kate
    Be interesting to see their 'real world conditions'. Whilst I enjoy Mythbusters some of their scenarios for testing can be a bit suspect. Don't be surprised if the cars come out on top.

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Watched it last night, interesting, but the crux of the matter comes down to the different pollutants put out by cars and bikes. I think it is very difficult to say which/why some are far worse than others. But it is related to climate change, surely nobody expects an easy (or any) answer by now?
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    SF
    Did all the bikes they tested have cats?

Bike
    Kate
    Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    Watched it last night, interesting, but the crux of the matter comes down to the different pollutants put out by cars and bikes. I think it is very difficult to say which/why some are far worse than others. But it is related to climate change, surely nobody expects and easy (or any) answer by now?
    Busted or Confirmed?

Bike
    SPEED TRIPLE
    I love Mythbusters

No body move... I dropped my brain

Bike
    Bikes!
    Bah, an RGV would damn near break their test machine

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Quote Originally Posted by oneofsix View Post
    Busted or Confirmed?
    Busted! More feul efficient, but more harmful was the verdict. I was happy enough with the testing they did, but the science behind the different pollutant types was missing (which is fair enough tbh, that shit is boring).

I'm curiuos as to why the huge difference between car and bike engine though, as it was still very significant even on the bike with the CAT converter.

The RPG vs bullet was pretty entertaining too
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    83 GPz550
    It was something like 800 % more Carbon monoxide than cars wasn't it?
    I never get lost. I go on adventures

Bike
    Kate
    Busted! More feul efficient, but more harmful was the verdict. I was happy enough with the testing they did, but the science behind the different pollutant types was missing (which is fair enough tbh, that shit is boring).

I'm curiuos as to why the huge difference between car and bike engine though, as it was still very significant even on the bike with the CAT converter.

BTW you have just suggested (I'll avoid saying admitted) to having downloaded copy-written USA media but that's another thread

Not surprised at the result, now wounder how many viewers letters they get and if they will end up having to do a retest.
    Looking forward to this episode.

Bike
    83 GPz550
    BTW you have just suggested (I'll avoid saying admitted) to having downloaded copy-written USA media but that's another thread

Not surprised at the result, now wounder how many viewers letters they get and if they will end up having to do a retest.
    Looking forward to this episode.
    Watching it over the internet ftw
    I never get lost. I go on adventures

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Quote Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
    It was something like 800 % more Carbon monoxide than cars wasn't it?
    I think it was the NOx and hydrocarbons that were the worst, less CO2 (as less feul) and i think the CO was more even with some cars doing worse and some bikes a bit better.

No not at all, I have a CSI type program, and just focused my telescope on the reflective solar panels of a few satelitles to bounce the image from a TV in the US, then enhanced it through my awesome software

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries

Because as I keep prattling on about, a car exhaust system has far more volume into whihc you can shove scrubbers, as well as revving MUCH lower, thereby producing far less harmful pollutants over time and distance. I'm glad they did it. Maybe you fuckers might start to look at the links and shit I post, eh?
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Thread Information