Page 926 of 2629 FirstFirst ... 426826876916924925926927928936976102614261926 ... LastLast
Results 13,876 to 13,890 of 39427

Thread: ESE's works engine tuner

Bike
    YLR150RR and a RD350LC
    Quote Originally Posted by lodgernz View Post
    Thanks Gigglebutton. I'm in Wellington, so has to be mail order. Nalco are assisting me with my enquiries at the mo...
    Another good place is little metals in Chch, they will sell exactly the size you want , only stock ally, brass and zinc

they supply plenty of cnc places
    My neighbours diary says I have boundary issues

Bike
    CBX125F NS50F NS90F NS-1
    Quote Originally Posted by Yow Ling View Post
    Another good place is little metals in Chch, they will sell exactly the size you want , only stock ally, brass and zinc

they supply plenty of cnc places
    Thanks Yow Ling, I'll keep them in mind

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Chris also had an unfortunate habit of testing things, like removing the Gen-ewe-swine Raped Budgie(TM) parts like the Thunder jet etc that they'd just laid out money for & gaining power. Clearly didn't know what he was doing.
    I remember a conversation with Chris about a Thunder Jet on some huge flash carb some dweeb spent loads of cash on. He couldn't get the fuelling right and in desperation in the end disconnected the jet and away it went. We also had a bit of a giggle over one costly hotrod Harley that made 80hp on the dyno. When it was taken off we rolled a ZZR600(stock) on to the dyno and it made more or less the same power.

Bruce Anstey used to eat all the choc biscuits there as well.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    And not talk.

Last time I saw Chris was a rather messy night when he was back in wgtn quite some while back, then a few months before at Philip Island (also rather messy) when he was with Padgetts looking after Jay Vincent or someone like. Wonder where he is now?
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    RG50 and 76 Suzuki GP125 Buckets
    Making some progress with the new fuel injection manifold.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ecotrons EFI injector manifold.JPG 
Views:	88 
Size:	131.5 KB 
ID:	296058

The injectors are angled so they squirt more horizontally across the transfer port.

Name:	Ecotrons Injector 002.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	130.8 KB 
ID:	296068

The small (bottom left) injector from the Ecotrons Small Engine EFI kit for two strokes has had the clips on its top cut back so the fuel barb can be swiveled in different directions.

Name:	Ecotrons EFI Injector Manifold.JPG 
Views:	79 
Size:	133.7 KB 
ID:	296056 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ecotrons Fuel Injectors.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	134.2 KB 
ID:	296057

I will cut back all the injectors like that to make them easier to fit into the tight space behind the cylinder.

Name:	EFI-1 013.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	131.8 KB 
ID:	296103

All of the injectors are in place and I found these neat little clips and hose connectors at the local hose shop for plumbing it all up.

Name:	EFI-1 011.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	128.3 KB 
ID:	296102

Lots of copper of course and in the cardboard box is a new four channel temperature data logger so we will be able to get some hard data on how hot the Beast actually gets.

Hopefully get back to the dyno next week.

Bike
    Several
    I've been pissing about with an AX100.

Yeah, I know they are crap...

Still, I've done some basic stuff:

Smashed a bit of the baffling out of the exhaust, stopped it pinking on long full throttle runs.
    Slightly longer header, mainly for moving the exhaust for better ground clearance, also took out most of the step as it transitions from header to diffuser.
    Cleaned up the terrible porting, still not perfect but far better. Clean up of Exhaust was worth almost 1 hp.
    Pissed around with jetting to get it running better.

So the next thing I did was to take the standard quiescent head and cut it down to a squish head.

It went from around 8:1 to around 12.8:1 in the process.
    0.8mm squish clearance, close to 50% Squish area and a real old school shape, the squish band opens up quite a bit towards the centre and it has a radius into the main combustion chamber.

I've gone this old-school was as I expect it will work better with the standard (Shit) ignition.

So, now it's pinking once it's got some heat into it, generally (as expected) only when heavily loaded.

I'm going to back the timing off until this stops.

So My Question for the experts:

Is this going to loose power over less compression/more advance?
    Testing to find the best balance would be nice but I'm going to have to plug some guesses in to this too.
    EDIT: Is it just that the burn time is reduced requiring less advance?
    Heinz Varieties

Bike
    Several
    Quote Originally Posted by TZ350 View Post
    Hopefully get back to the dyno next week.
    Heinz Varieties

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by koba View Post
    ...the burn time is reduced requiring less advance?
    Sounds very very possible, often on the dyno we found backing off the "track tuned" ignition setting produced more power. Bikes were often presented, over advanced and over rich to compensate. Backing of both gave more power and a wider spread too.

Bike
    TZ400
    Depends entirely on the fuel.
    At 12:1 and detoing means you cant be running AvGas and you should be, in small bores 16:1 is just fine.
    The close squish clearance and 50% area are OK, but having a taper and a radius in effect means the squish is doing Jack Shit, in reality this will cause deto, not suppress it.
    Easy fix is to change the fuel, but keep in mind that unleaded loves advance and hates com - and max power is gained when rich.
    Avgas loves com and doesnt need much advance for max power - but works best run lean, but either way you have a compromised setup that can never make good power.
    Ive got a thing thats unique and new.To prove it I'll have the last laugh on you.Cause instead of one head I got two.And you know two heads are better than one.

Bike
    Several
    Cheers.
    I'll let you know where I end up.

No luck getting the timing backed of as an interim step tonight. Try again tomorrow.
    I suspect I'll end up with lower compression and more aggro squish.
    I currently think that too aggro with a shit simple ignition isn't so good but I'd like to prove/disprove this with some testing If the stars align

Also, should have mentioned that I'm commuting on this pile of poop, that makes AV too much of a mission.
    Heinz Varieties

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    My good motor has the squish area and then a radius into the chamber. I bought a fancy programmable ignition only to find it wanted the same ignition timing at all revs. I understand that an edge between squish and chamber would necessitate backing the timing off at higher revs due to faster flame propagation with the increased turbulence at those higher revs. Since you are running points and can't back timing off with revs the curve would seem to be the way to go. You're building the engine to suit the ignition's limitations.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by koba View Post
    Three F5 50's just queue jumped me for time on the dyno ......

Bike
    Several
    Quote Originally Posted by speedpro View Post
    My good motor has the squish area and then a radius into the chamber. I bought a fancy programmable ignition only to find it wanted the same ignition timing at all revs. I understand that an edge between squish and chamber would necessitate backing the timing off at higher revs due to faster flame propagation with the increased turbulence at those higher revs. Since you are running points and can't back timing off with revs the curve would seem to be the way to go. You're building the engine to suit the ignition's limitations.
    Doesn't seem to be points, think it may have a modern sensor but otherwise the same architecture and certainly the same ignition crapness.
    I've seen this before, I think, with my MB100 - although the pipe design may also play a part.
    I'm considering an old style chamber on that as an interim step before getting the ingitech going on it, I desperately need over rev to give more spread and the latest, very aggressive cut took it away. Currently on an old CR80 Ignition.
    Heinz Varieties

Bike
    Several
    Quote Originally Posted by TZ350 View Post
    Three F5 50's just queue jumped me for time on the dyno ......
    That takes me up to a dozen packs of pop-corn!

Worthy Cause!
    Heinz Varieties

Bike
    RS125, TZ80, RS50, RS50, FXR

Derbi GPR125 EFI

Found this in Bert's links

GRP125 made into a 170 and home built EFI. Made 29hp, not extensively ported/tuned.
    Unfortunately a lot of the earlier image links are dead but I think it was a carb replacement type injection rather than a transfer port injection type.
    Have a look, I haven't trolled the thread much yet but man there are some idiots on that forum.

http://www.125ccsportsbikes.com/foru...c=63480&st=320

Thread Information