Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sunday lams bike hire in Wellington ASAP

Bike
    GS1200SS

eek Sunday lams bike hire in Wellington ASAP

Pushed my luck being on my learners licence for years on end. Owned non lams approved bikes for last couple years and always put sitting my restricted on the to do list. First time I've been pulled over in years, been given compliance to go get my licence within 3 weeks (think it was my luck that it was a motorcycle cop and a nice one). So I can keep my licence demerit free

Here comes the hard part. AA only do testing monday-friday (can't get time off work). CBTA can only do Sundays, and that's when the motorcycle hire shops are shut...

Hoping someone knows of a shop in Wellington open on Sundays that hire LAMs bikes that I've somehow missed!

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lower View Post
    Pushed my luck being on my learners licence for years on end. Owned non lams approved bikes for last couple years and always put sitting my restricted on the to do list. First time I've been pulled over in years, been given compliance to go get my licence within 3 weeks (think it was my luck that it was a motorcycle cop and a nice one). So I can keep my licence demerit free

Here comes the hard part. AA only do testing monday-friday (can't get time off work). CBTA can only do Sundays, and that's when the motorcycle hire shops are shut...

Hoping someone knows of a shop in Wellington open on Sundays that hire LAMs bikes that I've somehow missed!
    Take some sick time ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    TF125
    You might want to consider picking up a bike on the Saturday and dropping it back Monday morning?

Bike
    Kate

you kinda up shit creek then you mean all the CBTA testers in Wellington are not available on a Saturday over the next three weeks, go figure with in springtime, could be why the cops took an interest too. You have no friends with LAMS approved bikes that are willing to lend you? Your canoe is running out of paddles.

Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Take some sick time ...
    Looks like your only option if you can't take annual.
    Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people. --- Unknown sage

Bike
    GS1200SS
    Quote Originally Posted by Madness View Post
    You might want to consider picking up a bike on the Saturday and dropping it back Monday morning?
    Talked to a guy at redbarron and said can't cause its not insured over night? Waiting on a reply from a motorcycle tour rentals but thinking it would be cheaper to buy a gn..

Bike
    GS1200SS
    Quote Originally Posted by oneofsix View Post
    you kinda up shit creek then you mean all the CBTA testers in Wellington are not available on a Saturday over the next three weeks, go figure with in springtime, could be why the cops took an interest too. You have no friends with LAMS approved bikes that are willing to lend you? Your canoe is running out of paddles.

Looks like your only option if you can't take annual.
    Can't take sick leave or annual leave anytime before Xmas...

No biking buddies at all

Only tried 2 CBTA instructor's... Will try others. Both ran courses on Saturdays for learners. Was surprised neither wanted to follow me for 30mins in the afternoon considering they get $160 for it!

Bike
    Kate
    Can't take sick leave or annual leave anytime before Xmas...

No biking buddies at all

Only tried 2 CBTA instructor's... Will try others. Both ran courses on Saturdays for learners. Was surprised neither wanted to follow me for 30mins in the afternoon considering they get $160 for it!
    bugger. Suggest trying the other cbta testers. I know at least one does most of their learner stuff on Sundays but would understand if they were busy Saturday too at this time of year. Presume one of the ones you tried was Roadsafe? they are often very busy. Have you tried the baldies?
    Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people. --- Unknown sage

Bike
    GS1200SS
    Quote Originally Posted by oneofsix View Post
    bugger. Suggest trying the other cbta testers. I know at least one does most of their learner stuff on Sundays but would understand if they were busy Saturday too at this time of year. Presume one of the ones you tried was Roadsafe? they are often very busy. Have you tried the baldies?
    Just emailed all of the guys listed on the nzta/CBTA site. Fingers crossed one will do it.

Really should of sat my licence back when I owned lams bikes.. Could of been on my full by now. Still unsure why I've been given compliance for riding my GS1200SS considering I still won't legally be allowed to ride it on my. Restricted?

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Still unsure why I've been given compliance for riding my GS1200SS considering I still won't legally be allowed to ride it on my. Restricted?
    Well he could have just given you a ticket and forbidden you to ride?

Instead, technically, your riding has never been practically assessed (unless you took a course) since you did BHS. By encouraging you to go through the licence instead, a, one less person sitting on a learners, b, a possible increase in skills and c, by completing your licence you're not going to be pulled up in future for breaching your licence.

Sounds practical to me... but hey, you should have asked for a ticket instead?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    GS1200SS
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Well he could have just given you a ticket and forbidden you to ride?

Instead, technically, your riding has never been practically assessed (unless you took a course) since you did BHS. By encouraging you to go through the licence instead, a, one less person sitting on a learners, b, a possible increase in skills and c, by completing your licence you're not going to be pulled up in future for breaching your licence.

Sounds practical to me... but hey, you should have asked for a ticket instead?
    Understand all that, greatful he was a nice cop and let me ride off. It's the fact that iII have to now apply for compliance, which will get sent to a random to wipe. Might make someone scratch their head. Not complaining at all

Bike
    Kate
    Just emailed all of the guys listed on the nzta/CBTA site. Fingers crossed one will do it.

Really should of sat my licence back when I owned lams bikes.. Could of been on my full by now. Still unsure why I've been given compliance for riding my GS1200SS considering I still won't legally be allowed to ride it on my. Restricted?
    really nice he is giving you a chance to learn, the alternative is he just gets you again and this time there will be no excuses. Guess you can't afford two bikes and don't want to sell the GS but for your wallets sake you might have to consider it, also a reason for the second chance, an incentive to sell the non LAMS and get a compliant ;-)

Bike
    2011 Yamaha xvs1100

Have a look at the exemptions on the NZTA website
    http://www.nzta.govt.nz/driver-licences/exemptions/

Make your case you never know

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
    "I think men who have a pierced ear are better prepared for marriage.
    They've experienced pain and brought jewelry." - Rita Rudner
    A man is only as big as the dreams he dares to live

Bike
    GS1200SS
    Don't know why I didn't try all CBTA guys earlier. Ones already replied saying yes to a Saturday.

All suggest doing a hours per training at the cost of $80.
    I've been riding for years, do you think it's still necessary? I don't want to be cocky in case it is needed to pick up tips, but at the same time don't want to pay an extra $80 on top of $160 for test and $100 to hire a 250cc.

Anyone done the test? Can't imagine it being tricky?

Thanks for all the fast replies

Bike
    2011 Yamaha xvs1100
    Don't know why I didn't try all CBTA guys earlier. Ones already replied saying yes to a Saturday.

All suggest doing a hours per training at the cost of $80.
    I've been riding for years, do you think it's still necessary? I don't want to be cocky in case it is needed to pick up tips, but at the same time don't want to pay an extra $80 on top of $160 for test and $100 to hire a 250cc.

Anyone done the test? Can't imagine it being tricky?

Thanks for all the fast replies
    Usually if you have been riding for years then it's no problem.
    Follow the road rules
    At least one foot on the ground at stop signs
    Remember to indicate and cancel
    Check mirrors heaps.
    Check blind spots starting off pulling back to the curb before turning right
    Turn head to scan for hazards when approaching intersections driveways etc
    Be at the posted speed limit before the sign when slowing down especially at roadworks
    Speed should be within 5 kph of posted limit but not over you have 8 sec grace if over to reduce your speed
    Do not cross the white Centre line when turning right instant fail.
    Just some of the advice I give clients who sit their 6R or 6F through me

Bike
    2011 Yamaha xvs1100
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/qf1bd7mn75...ation.pdf?dl=0

Thread Information