Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Keeping cool... what do you wear?

Bike
    It was on the good
    Oh no, we are going down the ATGATT wormhole.

I always wear my helmet and my gloves when riding. Would never consider shorts but then I have only ever worn jeans when riding and lets face it they won't offer much protection. I always wear motorcycle boots but if I have to nip out from work the Hush Puppies can change gear just as well. Wouldn't want to fall off with them and my work trous but I wouldn't want to fall off with my proper boots and Levi's either. I decided long ago just not to fall off. Seems easier that way.

I remember having stitches in my chin and losing a lot of teeth after going over the handlebars on a pushbike once. Rode in to the back of a stationary car at full tit as well. Don't see much difference between riding a bicycle and a motorcycle in urban areas to be honest. If you fall off it will hurt, and there is always the potential it will kill you.

With jandals though it must hurt changing up a gear?

Bike
    Old Blue, Little blue
    Over about 36C it's irelevant what you wear - the air is a blast furnace coming at you, and I found full leathers were actually cooler than vented jacket/ jeans - until you stopped.....
    “- He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.”

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by SPman View Post
    Over about 36C it's irelevant what you wear - the air is a blast furnace coming at you, and I found full leathers were actually cooler than vented jacket/ jeans - until you stopped.....
    A couple of years ago, I copped a touch of heat stroke whilst held up at road works in full summer sun for about 30 minutes whilst in full leathers. Had a violent headache come on and felt sick, fortunately not far from home. Dehydration played a part too. I now have a mesh jacket for hot summer days and it's been great.

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    Yeah, Belstaff clothing is made in Italy now. I even saw Richard Branson wearing a Belstaff jacket on TV. Being made in Italy the quality and fit is way higher than it ever was at Stoke On Trent. The price is way higher too. I have a full suit of Stoke made Belstaff hanging on the wash house door, been there for a decade or three. I have no idea what size it is other than it's way too small.

Current price of a Trialmaster jacket NZ$850. You can get a nice leather casual jacket for about $2,500. They currently have some "specials" though.
    A ha ! noticed they didn't look like the old oil skin stuff. Some different materials used . And the italian slim fit huh !!! ???
    Dusty from Leda laughed the other day when I said I should re build mine,(or rather he should) .
    Still fits mate !

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SPman View Post
    until you stopped.....
    Which I long ago found to be the key. Keep moving. If you stop you warm up very quickly.

I do have one jacket Spidi described as "light tan". They overdid the "light" though, other people have decribed it as white. It's good on a hot day.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by roogazza View Post
    A ha ! noticed they didn't look like the old oil skin stuff. Some different materials used . And the italian slim fit huh !!! ???
    Dusty from Leda laughed the other day when I said I should re build mine,(or rather he should) .
    Still fits mate !
    Dusty is still around? Still in Stokes Valley?
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    Dusty is still around? Still in Stokes Valley?
    Yeah still there in Thomas St. We caught up this week,he's not doin much on the work front.
    His mum needs a bit of time with age/dementia etc .

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    Oh no, we are going down the ATGATT wormhole...
    Not sure we got that close to the edge of that hole. The OP did ask what others did and he's been given answers - some more in-jest than others.

I don't really care what someone wears when riding a bike - though I do wonder what some are thinking when I see someone with no gloves on a sports-bike or shorts on anything with two wheels and a motor - as long as that someone has made a decision that is based on evidence/research and is informed and that someone is aware of the consequences of the decision. The "informed decision/choice" scenario...

You say you wear jeans. However, you also say you wear gloves and bike boots and a bike jacket and, of course, a helmet. You have also said you are aware of the consequences of wearing jeans, so it is probably safe to say you have made an informed decision, aware of the consequences and you are prepared to accept that level of risk.

Around town I wear kevlar lined jeans and often kelvar leggings as well, plus gloves, bike boots and appropriate jacket and helmet. I know that kevlar jeans will lessen the damage of a slide on the tarmac but they won't lessen the chances of any broken bones. I accept that risk. However, on the open road I'm extremely hesitant to wear kevlar jeans - the possible 'damage' to me is too high a risk for me to take, so it's leather pants.

I just hope the OP makes an informed decision after doing some research on what is available and is ready to accept the risks of what he does.

Bike
    Suzuki GSX-s1000F 2016
    Thanks Moi, I have only had a bike for a month and have tried to assemble a riding outfit as best I can for what money I have.
    Yesterday on a two hour country road loop it was helmet, gloves, leather jacket with elbow, shoulder and back armour, Kevlar jeans and some thick woolly socks under Forza road boots.

I am thinking some quality touring pants next... dont think I am ready for the airbag suit yet.

Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike
    We use these for work. Most effective around the neck but I also wear it as a headband. https://www.tradestaffworkwear.co.nz...iABEgL3t_D_BwE
    Grow older but never grow up

Bike
    Baby Gixxer
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 1/32 man View Post
    Interesting but too pricey for me at the moment....

Today on my city ride I left gloves at home, wore a light wind proof jacket, cotton trousers, Doc Martens....it was OK but the jacket flapped around too much.
    May as well ride nakey

Oh and don’t forget to take your winter lining out of your jacket. (Wondered why I felt so sweaty the other day until I realised it was still zipped in...)
    I lahk to moove eet moove eet...

Katman to steveb64
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I'd hate to ever have to admit that my arse had been owned by a Princess.

Bike
    Suzuki GSX-s1000F 2016
    Point made and taken

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...I was so hot when I was out riding yesterday I had my leather jacket and my shirt flapping in the breeze, wishing I had left the tee shirt at home...was contemplating unbuckling my pants and pulling my fly down too, but I would have only been fucked off that I didn't leave my underpants at home too...and the cold cans I bought were tepid by the time I got home...thank fuck for freezers...I heard something about freezing your socks before putting them on recently...there's an idea...freeze your tee shirt and underpants and socks before venturing out...hmmmm...

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Sorry. You live in Christchurch. What fantasy are you in?
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    less than I used to have
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Sorry. You live in Christchurch. What fantasy are you in?
    ...i live a long way from Chch, in a valley on the peninsula...generally far hotter when its hot and far fucking colder when it's cold...31+ yesterday when I thought a cool breeze on the bike would be good...it wasn't that much less in the city...had to traverse the city to get to where I wanted to be...

...51 degrees reported in a sun locked part of one valley around here last year...we have and have started having even more extreme heat down here than most could imagine... we have been in drought conditions in Canterbury for 50 years...

Thread Information