Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: Daytime running lamps?

Bike
    VT1100C 1993 /DRZ400E
    I had to get a WOF for my bike and the normal locations I go had staff on holiday and away so I went the dreaded VTNZ to get a gold plated WOF...... and the bike got lots of looks but passed with those lights fitted....... they were off and they did not try them...... I did ask and they said they can be classed as fog lights but if they tried them it would only pass if the beams stay under dip beam....which while mine face down I suspect some floods up so technically would fail...if they tested them.

they noted my headlight pattern was a fail as the dip beam goes high to the right not left so they say I need to sort that.....but let it slide this time, My projects are nearly done so I will get out on the bike for a decent ride for the first time in weeks (large deck built and paving area almost done around the pizza oven)

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by leathel View Post
    They noted my headlight pattern was a fail as the dip beam goes high to the right not left so they say I need to sort that.....but let it slide this time,
    That's one thing I think they should have been stronger on. Sorry to disagree.

Surprised VTNZ let that one slide.

My fog lights get left on during the day, as I'm not allowed DRLs. Stupid law.

Bike
    Big money wasters
    I have some cheap LED driving lights on the GS , 6 LED’s a side super bright , they make great DRL’s in the supercity , no problems getting WOF’s . No problems with the coppers they are all stuck in traffic.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post

My fog lights get left on during the day, as I'm not allowed DRLs. Stupid law.
    Ha - fog lights being used in the day (or non foggy situations) is now illegal.

https://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/g...-lights-right/

Bike
    VT1100C 1993 /DRZ400E
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post

yup but the WOF man has no idea how you use them.....and they are suddenly called DRL's if taken to task in non foggy conditions...its not like they have a label on them

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post

Exactly. The WoF guy will pass them, and most enforcement officers won't enforce the fog light law.

Job done.

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    A wee rant...

If the MSAC are worth paying for then they need to show their value to us bikers.

They made a huge thing about the changes to the Coromandel Loop. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against what was done on the Coro Loop, by all accounts it has improved the road. But what does annoy me is that the benefits of the improvements are enjoyed by only some bikers, the improvements are not necessarily of benefit to South Island bikers.

However, if the MSAC were really serious about improving safety for bikers throughout NZ then supporting the fitting of Daytime Running Lights [DRL] to bikes would be worthwhile. Their report - link in Frodo's post - suggests very strongly that the triangle affect is of benefit. If MSAC were serious about biker safety then MSAC should work with NZTA, and whoever else needs to be involved, to change the regulations governing DRL so that if they are retro-fitted to a bike then the DRL can be checked to make sure they comply with the regulations and that a compliance certificate can be issued for the bike and this is recorded on the WoF computer so when the bike is next checked it is apparent to the WoF man that the DRL comply.

Just how bloody difficult is it to do?

Rant over, thank you for your patience...

Bike
    2015 Aprilia Shiver
    I received a copy of the report from MSAC. PM me and I'll send you a copy.

An interesting and generally well conceived experimental design and report write-up. Basically looked at "conspicuousness" (when a bike could be seen) and "gap judgement" (could you squeeze a car in front of the oncoming bike). Interesting that there was significant difference in conspicuousness or gap judgement during night time conditions, but not during good visibility during the day.

While this study showed that under good lighting conditions DRLs made no difference, it also noted that conspicuity and gap judgement was much better than at night. It could be argued that during good lighting conditions, motorcycle visibility is adequate. But the important pointy is that DRLs are significantly better at night. In this respect the study appears similar to that of Gould et al (2012) (cited in the report), who looked at poor lighting conditions as well as night. The weather conditions during my own "incident" were overcast. Under poor lighting conditions, a motorcycle is less visible and the contrast of DRLs against the background will be greater. Ideally, the NZ study could also have been conducted under poor daytime lighting conditions, as well as night and day.

I conclude from a brief review of the NZ and Gould et al studies, that DRLs do provide benefits when motorcyclists most need it - during poor and night lighting conditions.

So there are two issues:
    - Do DRLs make a difference? In poor lighting conditions they do.
    - Should they be illegal? Well, if a truck with a huge frontal area (i.e. more visible than a bike) can get away with dozens of lights and look like a Christmas tree, then why can't I add two lights to my bike?

I will write to the Minister to get this ass law changed (fingers crossed).

Bike
    2016 Honda ST1300,86/87 XJ900F,
    Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    I received a copy of the report from MSAC. PM me and I'll send you a copy.

So there are two issues:
    - Should they be illegal? Well, if a truck with a huge frontal area (i.e. more visible than a bike) can get away with dozens of lights and look like a Christmas tree, then why can't I add two lights to my bike?

I think you will find that most trucks that are lit up like christmas trees dont actually comply with the rules either but they are not seen as a problem by the Police and the same can be said for sensible use or DLR,s on motorcycles.

Bike
    09 Bonneville, 79 SR500
    I saw a NZ Post Postie bike the other day with headlight and DRL's on. The DRL's were mounted in each hand guard. I see a few of these bikes in my travels, but this was the 1st one I'd seen with the DRL's - maybe the others had them turned off at the time - dunno. I'll pay more attention next time I see one.
    The views expressed above may not match yours - But that's the reason my Dad went to war - wasn't it?
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, .... but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out,... shouting "man, what a ride"!!!

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    I've had so many dumb replies from ministers I no longer try.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    I conclude from a brief review of the NZ and Gould et al studies, that DRLs do provide benefits when motorcyclists most need it - during poor and night lighting conditions.

So there are two issues:

I once witnessed a motorcycle start to pass a truck ahead of me on a night ride ... as he thought the single light approaching was another motorcycle. It wasn't ... just a car with one headlight working.

Be easy to be seen ... (and to make yourself look bigger than you are is a common trait in nature) If a few extra lights do that ... do it. Size does count (apparently) ...

The WOF testers usual concern with lights are ... if fitted, they must work. Law enforcement concern themselves (usually) with road safety ... with strict adherence to the rules often when driver/rider attitude is noted. Officer discretion has saved me a few $$$ ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    I once witnessed a motorcycle start to pass a truck ahead of me on a night ride ... as he thought the single light approaching was another motorcycle. It wasn't ... just a car with one headlight working.
    often I catch myself wondering if the single light approaching from any direction is a motorcycle, for the same reasoning given above. However, I assume it’s a truck just in case with a single headlight.

how many people, esp learners are caught out by this phenonminion?

going on a trial run of some lights to see if I can throw some light on the subject in question.

i wonder why motorcycles are restricted to 1 rather than 2 extra lights, how can we form this agic triangle (3) of lights

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by eldog View Post
    ... how many people, esp learners are caught out by this phenomenon?
    The one I saw ... it did not end well.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Honda CBX 400 F 1987
    Question: is the Headlight Main Beam warning light wired only through the "On" switch and dip switch, or actually through the bulb socket? i.e. if I'm riding during the day, with my headlight switched ON as by law, and the headlight fails, will the Main Beam warning light also go out ? If it doesn't, and the light fails and I'm stopped by the fuzz, I doubt that a response of "but you can see that I have it switched on, Hofficer" will wear, he'll claim that I tried switch it on as he approached !

I know, I'm not supposed to drive with the main beam on all the time, but that's not the point, I do occasionally flip the dip switch up to see the warning light illuminate, to be satisfied that all is well - am I fooling myself.

Strangely - this isn't a problem at night, if the headlight fails I will probably notice !

Thread Information