Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pajero vs Bighorn. What to buy?

Bike
    Pure coolness...

Pajero vs Bighorn. What to buy?

Hey guys n gals.
    just sold the wifes V8 and we are looking to get a 7 seater
    diesel 4x4.shes preggers again with kid #3.so need bigger wagon.
    So who can help me with the whole jero vs horn thing?.
    whats the best one reliability wise what sort of economy can we expect
    and any other shit good bad.
    Basically we are after a 95+ wagon 2.8 or 3.1 TD with under 150k's.
    Lookin forward to all the smart comments.

Bike
    TF125
    I wouldn't touch a Pajero 2.8lt Diesel with a very long pole. They're known for the timing pulley flogging off the end of the crank, a mate has gone through a couple of motors in his & has now given up.

EDIT;/ Buy a Toyota, you'll pay more but it'll be worth it

Bike
    MVs & Ducatis
    Pajero, no...Bighorn, no...hope you've got a 3rd option, maybe a van?

Bike
    -
    Get a Mini Clubman. S'all my dad needed for the family for a few years

Bike
    GSXR750G Daytona 955 Tiger DR650 ZRX1200
    I'm not sure of the specs, but I've not heard a lot of good things about Pajero's. What about a Toyota, they're great.

Bike
    Pure coolness...
    Quote Originally Posted by MVnut View Post
    Pajero, no...Bighorn, no...hope you've got a 3rd option, maybe a van?
    yeah we had a third option . prado .but we can't afford one.van/people mover out of the question .Not quite at that retirement/given up on life sort of stage.

Bike
    RATS & RICE
    Blog Entries
    Stay away from the 2.8s if you end up looking at a 96 Isuzu they changed the 3.1TD duing that year and can be thirsty on gas also

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Go for a 3l TD Prado 7 seater. Sure some will have horror stories about those as well, but after 11yrs in the car industry I have found them to be an extremely reliable, sound vehicle. Would expect to pay more than $22,000 from a dealer for a 97-98 with under 100km. Probably pay between 18-20 if you're sharp enough.

As with any second hand vehicle, especially td stuff, buy a GOOD aftermarket warranty, like DriveRights. Sure, depending on the dealer it may cost $1000-1200 but you'll be greatful in the event of a breakdown. DriveRights come with roadside rescue, 7500 service intervals on diesels (with no time requirement), and if the vehicle is under 120,000km at time of sale a generous individual claim limit. I have used them for a number of years now and always had excellent service from them, and so have my customers.

edit - What sort of budget are you looking at?

You'll probably find the Bighorn to be more expensive for given year and mileage than a Pajero.The 4M40 engine in the 2.8 Pajero is not that great,no cam belt,but I really don't like alloy heads on a diesel....it becomes a service item,one day it will crack and need a new one.The bighorn has a cambelt,and I think that's worse than an alloy head on a diesel....break a belt and a hell of a lot of metal ends up in the scrap bin.The Bighorn engine is a shit load more expensive to rebuild than the Pajero.28mpg max from both,going down as you work them harder.

You can get a V6 option for both....and halve the fuel figures for them.They feel a lot more powerful than the diesels....until you make them work,they get gutless very quick as the weight goes up....and suck even more fuel.Both good engines - but they have cambelts,and waterpumps and tensioners and,and,and.

Running gear on both is top knotch - the only thing on either that gives trouble is the engines.....but that's enough.The Japs build diesels that only last as long as a petrol engine,and cost more to run and fix.
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    GSXR1000
    With the exception of the TD42, would you agree Motu? In my time I've come across a number of these with huge mileage and still going strong. Two I know of have passed 700,000km with no major (ie stripping) work done.

Bike
    Hoonda
    ...........was gonna bleat on about a surf.... but realised you need 7 seats... def go for a prado then.... we all know what pajero means in spanish so dont go there....
    Last edited by ridetwins; 14th April 2007 at 23:37. Reason: dumb ass didnt read that he wanted a 7 seater
    Speed is life, altitude is life insurance.....

Bike
    10 speed 1995
    A few friends had Pajeros that crapped out. Heard nothing bad re bighorns

Bike
    tedium
    Mrs not had any problems with an ancient 2.4 turbo diesel Pajero over the past year or so. Thing's got over 200,000kms on the clock and been pulling horse boxes etc on daily basis. Got the oil and filters changed when she bought it and that's been about it. Not a bad buy for $2700. Wouldn't touch an Isuzu with a bargepole. Might be worth checking out Nissan Safari or Toyota Hilux if you don't need the 7 seats? How about a nice Volvo T5 estate

Did I miss something but you, missus and 3 kids != 7 seats?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickha
    Fuck off, cheese has no place in pies
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle
    i would could and can, put a fat fuck down with a bit of brass.

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post

Did I miss something but you, missus and 3 kids != 7 seats?
    Kids have friends. And for when other people are over, family etc.

Bike
    2006 F650GS
    Hi

Here is a copy of a post on another topic here on KB, I hope ti helps

Well as a 4wd tour operator, you would have to look closely at the Mitsi Pajero.
    For what you want it would best suit your requirements.
    It has one of the best tow ratings of any 4wd, can go anywhere if you need to, and are reasonably price and bullet proof

In regards to the specific models, I would suggest a 93+, either in SWB (short wheel base) or LWB (long wheel base), the LWB has better towing than the SWB.
    In regards to the motors, dont even look at the 2.5, only go for the 2.8 (engine 4M40 is the diesel) these are great, in fact they used the same motor in their diesel utes up until last year.
    The 2.5 is a lemon, engine is dodgy and the trans is not very good either

The 2.8 comes in auto and manual gearbox, and both are good, but for what I used mine for I chose the auto. It is great for real 4wding, on both ascents and desents, and good in the mud if you know how to drive it properly.

Just my thoughts, and if you want to see a war, ask for is the best 4x4 on a 4x4 website!!

Cheers Scott

Dusty Butt 1000km - We knocked the bugger off what next?

Thread Information