Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Moeraki crash

Bike
    2012 Suzuki Boulevard M50
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxPenguin View Post
    What would putting her in jail for a month achieve?
    Well, it might get out to visiting motorists that if you eff up then you're behind bars and your career is stuffed. They might then drive a little more carefully.
    There are two songs, "Stairway to Heaven" and "Highway to Hell" which I think give an indication of expected traffic flow

Bike
    Twowheeled
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Steve View Post
    Well, it might get out to visiting motorists that if you eff up then you're behind bars and your career is stuffed. They might then drive a little more carefully.
    It might, but I doubt it.

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    Works both ways doesn't it. I imagine a New Zealand driver who did the same in Austria would find that their appointed Austrian defence lawyer would do their absolute best to get them the lightest sentence possible.

No sentence will bring the rider back, no sentence will penalise the driver any more than it already has and crucially no sentence will act as a deterrent to stop someone else doing exactly the same thing somewhere else next week. Sad as it seems this is the price we pay for whoring the country as a tourist destination but then having few transport choices for getting around.

I thought this was an interesting read, there must be hundreds of New Zealanders who have found themselves having close calls when driving overseas - https://www.odt.co.nz/regions/queens...killed-someone
    A close call like that has happened to a workmate (no crash thankfully). He reverted to the familiar side of the road... when entering a cloverleaf ramp leading to a freeway... in the USA. The local PD thankfully pulled him over before he got anywhere near the fast bit, but then he got out of the car and walked toward them!! Would have been normal and OK in NZ... not so much in the USA... he's fine but it got a bit tense for a second there.

Bike
    MG V11 Nero Corsa LeMans
    Quote Originally Posted by MD View Post
    This is why my annual riding group for the last 16 years around the South Island decided after this December's ride - we've had enough of the scary traffic, endless lines of tourists in campervans, mini vans full of cheap arsed freedom campers, all who have no ideal how to drive. They stop in the most stupid places to take selfies, pull out from anywhere anytime they please, swerve anywhere, make blind U-turns with total ignorance of their surroundings i.e. it's a road dipshit and roads have vehicles moving on them at speed.
    Ya know what... I can relate, thought it was cos I am getting old blind and stupid.... NA...

went for the 1st ride in months saturday up to aurthers and back, for those that know the road where it is on the edge of the Mak where the railway bridge is east of Bealey... headed east behind a car when an on comming campervan pulled across from the other lane infront of us to park up for a view... the car slamed on the brakes it was close, BUT WAIT theres more... the campervan behind the camper van followed the other one, fuck I let them have a big old dose of ranga anga... meh they didnt cear...
    cheers DD
    (Definately Dodgy)

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    What would putting her in jail for a month achieve?
    Revenge, and sense of satisfaction. That's all.

Penalties are punitive. They might make us feel better, but they don't actually achieve anything.

Originally, penalties were supposed to act as a deterrent, but given that nobody intends to commit such an offence, the penalty means not much.

On the other hand.................

If a cop sees someone make a bad decision and nearly hit someone, we want them to penalize the offender. Why then wouldn't we penalize someone who actually hits someone?

Penalties are a multi faceted conundrum.

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    Conundrum it is. A lot of locals want overseas visitors to be tested before being allowed on the road 'cause Kiwi roads are unique. Has any of those locals gone overseas and started driving without sitting a local test? Imagine why that's okay, its not because Kiwi drivers are so universally skilled. I capture enough on my dashcam to start a channel.

I have lived in many countries, and each one has its unique driving challenges. Imagine driving in any Asian large city, rush hour traffic and highways have a different meaning.

As for the tourist causing death, that is a special category for me. And it should be suitably punished.

Bike
    too many but never enough
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post

Penalties are punitive. They might make us feel better, but they don't actually achieve anything.

Originally, penalties were supposed to act as a deterrent, but given that nobody intends to commit such an offence, the penalty means not much.

If a cop sees someone make a bad decision and nearly hit someone, we want them to penalize the offender. Why then wouldn't we penalize someone who actually hits someone?

Are you referring to speeding tickets?

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by testastretta View Post
    Are you referring to speeding tickets?
    For speeding tickets, it actually works as a deterrent. Especially the demerit points. I don't want the fine or demerits, so I change my behaviour in order to avoid them.

The other option I had was to not chance my behaviour, and constantly get tickets and whinge about them on KB.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    For speeding tickets, it actually works as a deterrent. Especially the demerit points. I don't want the fine or demerits, so I change my behaviour in order to avoid them.

The other option I had was to not chance my behaviour, and constantly get tickets and whinge about them on KB.
    I changed my behaviour, I bought a radar detector. For the last twelve years or so that has worked much betterer than whinging on KB.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Twowheeled

You would also think that the amount of rider at fault fatalities would be a deterrent too, but if they aren't then heavy fines or jail time won't be either.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    You would also think that the amount of rider at fault fatalities would be a deterrent too, but if they aren't then heavy fines or jail time won't be either.
    Another one today. As a collective, we are slow learners.

Bike
    MG V11 Nero Corsa LeMans
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez View Post
    We are not the Borg. Until you know the details of the incident try and feframe from posting stupid comments.
    yeahhhh oh come on toung n cheek etc, Ras has seen way more ugley shit than you and me would ever understand.

thats a tricky thing to get into... where does the blame start...

Quote Originally Posted by MD View Post
    They stop in the most stupid places to take selfies
    YIP.. mate killed on return from the Brass last year from this very thing...

Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    Well, I must have been exceptionally lucky this summer. We usually stay in Auckland over Christmas and New Year, but due to some unusual circumstances I drove or rode a total of about 2500 km in Northland, Bay of Plenty and Otago / Southland.

I was very impressed by the driving which was much better than I've previously encountered during holiday periods.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    that may be the case... but it only takes ONE fuckwit at the right time to fuck shit right up for you...
    cheers DD
    (Definately Dodgy)

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerous View Post
    yeahhhh oh come on toung n cheek etc, Ras has seen way more ugley shit than you and me would ever understand.
    Tying the incident as a result the "collectives" inadequacies is bull shit. It comes down to individual personal responsibility.

Bike
    MG V11 Nero Corsa LeMans
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez View Post
    Tying the incident as a result the "collectives" inadequacies is bull shit. It comes down to individual personal responsibility.
    yeah sorry... im not quite sure what is meant by "collectives"
    cheers DD
    (Definately Dodgy)

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Another one today. As a collective, we are slow learners.
    For those slow omes that missed it.

Thread Information