Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Helmet lifespan?

Bike
    Street Triple R
    I just phoned a local bike shop to see if they carry Arai. Answer no - they said they found it difficult to deal with the NZ agent because they would only drop ship i.e. not carry stock. And with something that you absolutely must try on before buying, thats a problem. That retailer had probably 50 Shoei helmets in stock plus other brands.

I won't reiterate here the sorry tale of why I own the worlds most expensive Freddie Spencer replica Arai*, but it does sound as if the agent has some issues.

*worn once! I am going to take it out of its box and see when it was built.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    2017 Yamaha MT-09
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    As others have already posted, anywhere from 3-5 years is a guide. Strictly speaking that's from date of manufacture, small sticker on inside back of helmet will usually reveal that.

If in daily use, you'll be lucky to get 5 years. If in all day daily use, 18-24 months and it gets biffed.

The full speech is available upon attendance at a Ride Forever course near you......ask that Blackbird fella for recommendations on instructors haha
    I come from equine, where 5 years is also some sort of arbitrary guideline, if you haven't fallen off and hit your noggin, in which case, 'NOW' applies. Of course, you can find the mushroom shaped, once-white-now-piss-yellow oversized buckets still in use at your local RDA or riding school (protecting heads since ages ago) - very 80s/90s.

However, as I have ticked up 15,000kms in the past 12 months on my bike, and am likely to continue at a similar pace, I wondered if there was any other "suggestions" as to replacement timeframe.
    I can't remember it being covered at any of the RF courses I've been on, but that might have been me tuning the fact out as my helmet was always less than 12 months old and thus a fair way off "5 years."

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    I just phoned a local bike shop to see if they carry Arai. Answer no - they said they found it difficult to deal with the NZ agent because they would only drop ship i.e. not carry stock. And with something that you absolutely must try on before buying, thats a problem. That retailer had probably 50 Shoei helmets in stock plus other brands.

I won't reiterate here the sorry tale of why I own the worlds most expensive Freddie Spencer replica Arai*, but it does sound as if the agent has some issues.

*worn once! I am going to take it out of its box and see when it was built.
    Last time I looked, Motomail had good stock of Arai helmets. That was a few months ago though.

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by HEsch View Post
    However, as I have ticked up 15,000kms in the past 12 months on my bike, and am likely to continue at a similar pace, I wondered if there was any other "suggestions" as to replacement timeframe.
    I can't remember it being covered at any of the RF courses I've been on, but that might have been me tuning the fact out as my helmet was always less than 12 months old and thus a fair way off "5 years."
    Apart from the 5 year suggestion, see how loose your lid ends up getting over time. How frayed is the strap is another thing to consider. Is the inner lining falling to bits? Personal experience of daily commuting suggests my helmet won't get to 5 years before replacement.
    Oh and this topic should get good airtime on R4E courses, helmet type, sizing, age, care, fastenings, visor care, test ratings, more $$ typically buys more comfort, etc.

Read as much as you wish for yourself on the SHARP website
    https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    None of my helmets are under five years old currently. The Shoei will be the first to be binned, a pity, it has a nice pinlock half dark visor, but it probably hasn't even been worn in five years. Maybe in the bin next week?

The Arai helmets are both 'good as new'. The AGV is still tight but the trim is starting to look a bit tatty.

I'm working on the assumption that fibreglass helmets maintain their structural integrity longer than some plastic ones.
    At this late stage of my motorcycle career dropping $1100 or so on a new Arai doesn't seem a sensible investment, nor does buying a new cheap plastic hat.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Enough that the car lives outside now.
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    None of my helmets are under five years old currently. The Shoei will be the first to be binned, a pity, it has a nice pinlock half dark visor, but it probably hasn't even been worn in five years. Maybe in the bin next week?

The Arai helmets are both 'good as new'. The AGV is still tight but the trim is starting to look a bit tatty.

I'm working on the assumption that fibreglass helmets maintain their structural integrity longer than some plastic ones.
    At this late stage of my motorcycle career dropping $1100 or so on a new Arai doesn't seem a sensible investment, nor does buying a new cheap plastic hat.
    Depends on your model / colour preference I guess. Motomail showing $749 then $849 models https://www.motomail.co.nz/estore/st...heaxces3b.aspx. Surprisingly, I'm not that familiar with the mid range Arai models.

MNZ talk 10 years from date of production in rule 8.2b. I've previously seen Arai quote 5 years and further into the MNZ rule book it says MNZ strongly recommends on advice from the manufacturers that you do not use a helmet for more than 3 years. SO I guess that creates a manufacture vs use date allowance which could be the helmets in a warehouse for a couple of years. I myself being a tight arse road racer scour end of run specials etc of the models I prefer, to pick them up cheap when I need a new helmet....and they may be 2-3 years old already (and not always a colour that I'd pick ).

The MNZ 10 year rule in some respects is a handy thing : some time back I used to see some helmets presented (and accepted) at certain old bikes events that I would not use for holding a pot plant they were that old AND Polycarbonate.....which as I understand it more susceptible to light. Very obviously very old. So were the riders and the rest of the gear. The specific group of riders while less likely to fall off, are more likely to need better the better protection if they do..... and even a $150 cheapy would have been a far preferable helmet

Generally, my helmets rarely make it to 10 years.....slip off once or twice in a 5 year period can noble a helmet or two easily. It also means I balance helmet brand, construction, fit, venting, vision colour scheme and price. Extra money for the "flash paint job" nah....that could pay for pistons or tyres!! Though I'd love an Edwards Arai RX7 Yamaha anniversary to go with my big Yamaha.......but I'll make do with a yellow/black/white HJC !!

Same goes for the rest of my gear. I have specific brands that I have developed a preference for and I watch to see when there are specials and I rotate gear and pension off the older stuff to "spare" (but still very useable) status , usually one significant item a year. Leathers, boots, gloves body armour etc to ensure my main riding gear is recent spec and my spare kit is perfectly acceptable and still very safe to use.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Fuck think how much faster my VFR would be* if I was wearing an HRC helmet!!!

https://www.motomail.co.nz/estore/st...herx7vhrc.aspx

*it isnt currently running at all so presumably it would have the full 25hp if I had this helmet.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Arai are tricky to buy, coming as they do in three different head shapes. You need to know which shapes are which, and which one you need.

I bought one by mail from the US but knew that model was the right shape. It's a racer replica paint job, Simon Crafar. Being based on the New Zealand flag the design wasn't selling like hot cakes in the US, so it was on sale at half price.

The other Arai, while not a racer replica, is an Aldo Drudi design, so was still $1150.

If I was going to buy another I think I'd either have to do some research or buy one from a qualified dealer.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Triumph Bonneville
    Blog Entries

My Helmets Lifespan

I have Shoei's Helmet which has been my riding companion since 2 years, and 4-5 years more!

According to the manufacturers it is suggested that helmets should be replaced five years after the purchase date, or seven years after the production date.

Why Compromise Safety

Bike
    Honda Foreman, now
    One could argue that the WOF should include checks on the rider's safety gear, given that it's every bit as critical as the other stuff they check.

But they dont. They leave it to us. And if we get it wrong, we're the ones most directly affected, so fair enough.

Lots of bikey bit degrade over time, and many of them are safety-critical: tyres, brake pads, brake fluid, riders ...

FWIW I change my helmet when the visor is starting to annoy me too much. I take care of my visor, gently washing it with soap and water and never with a gritty dry rag. I could probably just replace the visor ... but generally by then I feel the helmet doesn't owe me anything, so it's off to the shop with a fistful of wonga.

Bike
    Dont have one now
    I think they last forever. I have some old ones on the shelf, some very old. They just sit there. Nothings happened to them.

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by GazzaH View Post
    One could argue that the WOF should include checks on the rider's safety gear, given that it's every bit as critical as the other stuff they check.
    But that would make One a dickhead!
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Quote Originally Posted by GazzaH View Post

But they dont. They leave it to us. And if we get it wrong, we're the ones most directly affected, so fair enough.

Lots of bikey bit degrade over time, and many of them are safety-critical: tyres, brake pads, brake fluid, riders ...

FWIW I change my helmet when the visor is starting to annoy me too much. I take care of my visor, gently washing it with soap and water and never with a gritty dry rag. I could probably just replace the visor ... but generally by then I feel the helmet doesn't owe me anything, so it's off to the shop with a fistful of wonga.
    I'm with you Gazza. I've just replaced my Shoei Neotec which is around 3 years old for this very reason. Well that and the fact that the liner was starting to fall apart (I've washed it a fair few times) so it felt as though someone was trying to tell me something. Sticking to the 5 years rule is no bad thing but sometimes helmets can last less time if they are used regularly and often.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    In the past I've tossed some for little reason. I've currently got four helmets two of which must be approaching seven years, two others close behind. Three were above average price, not all of which is due to the paint job, and all are in good nick with no stickers or anything else to degrade the surface. At this late stage of my riding career I'm not planning on replacing them.

Bike
    2016, cube analog

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mulletman View Post
    When its not snug anymore, if you find that your tightning the chin strap more than you used to and it feels still a bit slack around the brain bucket its time, also wind noise picks up.
    Will take note of that. Thanks!

Thread Information