Page 82 of 83 FirstFirst ... 327280818283 LastLast
Results 1,216 to 1,230 of 1242

Thread: Adventure bikes on Trade Me

Bike
    uKTM Tiger 800xc
    Quote Originally Posted by clint640 View Post
    You can't knock Suzuki, DR(Z) technology may not have been updated since last century, but neither has the price
    put like that theyz sound 100 yrs old
    ....wherezz that track go

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    KTM 950ADV,DR750,APRILIA TUONO ,YZ290F
    Blog Entries
    Enjoyed my 950ADV but they are just a bit uncomfortable on long runs, The At would be a lot better I woulds say and for the price difference be worth the buy in

Bike
    2008 VStrom

lots of near new DRZ250s for sale atm

Excuse me for jumping into this part of the forum, but Im hoping the adventure-type bike people will have a view on this.

I've been looking at getting a trail bike for some lightweight off roading, gravel roads, etc and noticed there have been a lot of almost brand new (less than 2 years old) Suzuki DRZ250s for sale on trademe. One went the other day for under 5k, it was less than a year old. There's another one on there now, super low miles, almost new, but being sold. There was one up north a few days also, but that seems to have gone.

I'm wondering why people seem happy to throw away a few thou in less than a year to sell them? Anyone have any ideas?

I thought they were supposed to be pretty good bikes (for the money)

Cheers and thanks
    Nothing profound occurs to me at this time......

Bike
    16' xtz125e super-adventure, Ninja 650
    Blog Entries
    its just heavy and slow, its not a bad bike though, for the money i'd look at a DRZ400 in good nic, much less disappointing

Bike
    2005 GSXR750

Smile

I think some of them have been bought as learner's bikes, and the learner has decided to move on to another bike. Another guy said it was his wife's and she wasn't using it any more.

Me, I just got one a few weeks ago for tootling around on gravel roads. So far I quite like it, nice and easy to manage for me weight/size. I am not anticipating needing anything more "grunty", like a 400, for my type of riding.

Bike
    2008 VStrom
    Thanks for that, maybe I'm just being paranoid!
    That kind of what I want one for, a bit of gravel and a bit of off gravel/forestry tracks etc.
    I suspect anything bigger will be too heavy.
    I have read good things about the 400, but most on trademe are a bit exxy, seem to have very suspect mileage or has been "rebuilt" recently. I'm a bit put off by that.

Thanks again
    Richard

Bike
    BMW F 650GS
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthShoreHornet View Post
    That kind of what I want one for, a bit of gravel and a bit of off gravel/forestry tracks etc.
    I have read good things about the 400, but most on trademe are a bit exxy, seem to have very suspect mileage or has been "rebuilt" recently. I'm a bit put off by that.

Thanks again
    Richard

There is another part to it, with most of the riding I do, there's as much as 3-4 hrs of road riding to do to get to the off road stuff.
    The 250 top speed is 100-115, there's nothin left to overtake or power out of a ugly spot, where as the DR650 is still light but has sooo much more in the throttle to twist.
    There's not a lot of space for travel luggage either. Although the 250 is delightful on the trail, you would consider buying a ute to get it there with all your tools, spares, stuff, food, first aid and dry cloths

Just my 10c worth...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bike
    Obsolete ones.

Thanks again
    Richard
    A mate has the DR 2fiddly. Yes, it's a bit chubby and lacking ooomf but he does ridiculous trips on it.. Northland to Southland, a few detours and home again, with a few detours.

It won't set your world on fire but it will get you almost anywhere, eventually. If you want to ride the length of our wonderful country, a gel seat or some such should be considered.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Nothing yet

Hey guys n gals
    I'm new to buying/owning bikes so am after some advice please.....I know my way around cars no problems but very green when it comes to bikes. I'm looking at a V-Strom on trade me, listing number 1216088606

https://preview.trademe.co.nz/motors/trade-me-motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/1216088606

Has anyone had experience with this model? Is 55k high milage for this type of bike? What sort of servicing or repair costs should I expect in the near future.
    This will be my first bike purchase. I am wanting something to commute from Hamilton to Tauranga at least 3 times a week so will be going over the Kaimai's a fair bit. I've been looking at and keen on either a V-Strom 650 or 1000, Versey 650 or 1000, or a vfr800x Cross Runner.
    If you have any recommendations or advice that would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers
    Last edited by firsttimer; 13th December 2016 at 19:07. Reason: Adding link

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by firsttimer View Post
    Hey guys n gals
    I'm new to buying/owning bikes so am after some advice please.....I know my way around cars no problems but very green when it comes to bikes. I'm looking at a V-Strom on trade me, listing number 1216088606

https://preview.trademe.co.nz/motors...kes/1216088606

Has anyone had experience with this model? Is 55k high milage for this type of bike? What sort of servicing or repair costs should I expect in the near future.
    This will be my first bike purchase. I am wanting something to commute from Hamilton to Tauranga at least 3 times a week so will be going over the Kaimai's a fair bit. I've been looking at and keen on either a V-Strom 650 or 1000, Versey 650 or 1000, or a vfr800x Cross Runner.
    Cheers
    Yes. The very first test for any bike you might consider riding anywhere not actually sealed is to try picking it up.

Not just because you will have to at some stage, but also because the less comfortable you are picking any given bike up the more likely you'll need to, the more damage you'll do and the more it will cost to fix it.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    2008 VStrom
    Quote Originally Posted by firsttimer View Post
    Hey guys n gals

https://preview.trademe.co.nz/motors...kes/1216088606

Cheers
    Hi there. No real experience with the 1000 but if you consider there's something like 2000 worth of extras on that bike, it's pretty cheap. If it has a clear service history that mileage would not worry me. If you decided you didn't like it then you won't lose much in reselling.

I do have a 650 Vstrom and it would be perfect for your commute over the hill. The 1000s are great but 650s outsell them 2 to 1 for a reason. It's a sweet bike. The comment about picking it up is valid but most of the bigger touring/adventure bikes are around 200kg (which is what my 650 is) or more, so you're in the same boat pretty much. There are a few older wee stroms on trademe, really cheap. If you want a cheap commuter for a year or so then hard to get better value I think. My services visit about 200 to 300 for normal service, but you could probably do it yourself for the cost of oil and filter. I got a new chain and sprockets the other day, 380 fitted. At 55k the chain may have been done on the bike you referenced. Worth a check and why a service history is useful.

End of the day, there's probably not much to choose between your target bikes, people have their favourites but you need to decide what one you like best. With the reliability of modern bikes we are spoiled for choice in great value second hand bikes. You can't go too far wrong whatever you buy, just check that regular services have been done. You can usually tell just by looking at the bike whether someone's been looking after it.

Maybe a silly question but have you got a full bike license? You say this is your first bike....if you don't, then I'd start looking at 250s .

Good luck whatever happens.

Bike
    2008 VStrom
    Quote Originally Posted by Saarg View Post
    There is another part to it, with most of the riding I do, there's as much as 3-4 hrs of road riding to do to get to the off road stuff.
    The 250 top speed is 100-115, there's nothin left to overtake or power out of a ugly spot, where as the DR650 is still light but has sooo much more in the throttle to twist.
    There's not a lot of space for travel luggage either. Although the 250 is delightful on the trail, you would consider buying a ute to get it there with all your tools, spares, stuff, food, first aid and dry cloths

Just my 10c worth...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thanks for that, that's been my concern for a while. I have had a bunch of dr650s on my watchlist for ages. No doubt great bikes and perfect for blatting around gravel roads and one day when and if I get any good at riding off road for that too. I just think they will be too much of a handful on trails so I won't end up going. To cap it off I went to the Sandpit at the weekend and had to pick up a 250 a couple of times, that was enough. I haven't really done any trail riding yet so logic says go smaller to begin with at least.

ive ordered an air hawk for my Vstrom so I'll try that on the 250 and see how I go.

Thanks for your (and everyone else's) comments.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    Yes. The very first test for any bike you might consider riding anywhere not actually sealed is to try picking it up.

Not just because you will have to at some stage, but also because the less comfortable you are picking any given bike up the more likely you'll need to, the more damage you'll do and the more it will cost to fix it.
    Nicely put.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    ive ordered an air hawk for my Vstrom so I'll try that on the 250 and see how I go.
    I can tell you that they produce a feeling not altogether unlike that of having copiously shat your nappies 30 miles ago.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Thread Information