Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Expensive buckets?

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    People get all uppity about how much people spend if it out of their budget. I've often been accused of having a million $ bike

When I started was part time working & couldn't afford much I got a $250 MB50 & bit by bitted it from there with 2nd hand engines.

Current bike was a reconstruction of my first RG50 (which cost me $400 in about 1994). RS Frame, tank, forks $300. Transfer my old engine & mod the wheels to fit ($60 & doz beer). Pipe $160. Footpegs; from old bike & hangers; peice of scrap ally & some time spent on the mill, free. Brakes bars, tailpeice, all transferred from old bike.

Plenty of pistons, rings etc over the years & some quite cheap dyno time but as a 16yr on same engine I'm still in the budget end of buckets. oh actually that engine has had new top end from my spare engine, but you get the picture.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    2011, Hyosung GT650R
    wow, thats cool if you have the money. not so cool if you dont for the bucket class.

I bought my bucket for $1200 3 years ago which is a RS50 frame with a loncin 150 in it. The engine is stock and i have only bought 2nd hand slicks, one set of brake pads and now one intake valve. I cant afford anything else.
    Especially around the 2k and over mark. I prefer to spend my money on the big track.

I now see why when/if i go to other tracks i get whipped down the straights. Hopefully Hawks Bay riders dont go over the top with expenses so i can keep in the points for our club.

Bike
    -
    My little starter pack cost me 200 (plus another 200 to actually get it)
    currently building one from scratch which has so far cost me $1018.70 with about another $600 to go.

Bike
    Goose
    Ha my bucket has cost me less than $1200-1300 all up in the last 2-3 years I have owned it. That includes WoF's and rego's, tyres, chains, sprockets etc....

Unfortunately I have a strange feeling its going to cost me alot more very soon when the engine gives....
    "Some people are like clouds, once they fuck off, it's a great day!"

Bike
    2010 CB600f & a couple of bucket RB's
    Blog Entries
    At the last count I had just passed retail value (including the bike) of $10,100.
    Yes 4 strokes are for homos. Homo-sapiens that is, who have realized bigger is better.

Bike
    gp125 rg50 rs125hybrid
    Blog Entries
    $900

thats the purchase price of $150 gp125 (with a blowen engine)
    and $750 for the rs frame spare wheels and ollins shock and fork internalls

dosent include the $1400 engine rebuild i didn't pay for (on old engine I pinched)

so divide that by 6 years and buckets or F4 is cheap racing
    stop complaining about the price and go race something els where you need 10k to get started instead of 2-3k (I know you can race a cheap piece of shit but you want to be near the frount dont you)

I know people that would drink more than 2-3k of bear in a year (thats less than $60 a week)
    about the price of a good flat screen TV

a mountain bike costs more
    so dose a good road bike (peddle power)
    you probably pay more going to the gym than building a bike
    "Instructions are just the manufacturers opinion on how to install it" Tim Taylor of "Tool Time"
    “Saying what we think gives us a wider conversational range than saying what we know.” - Cullen Hightower

Bike
    Yo momma
    TZR rolling chassis $300 RS125 rear end $150 KE125 bottom end from Brice Minto $150 RG400 cylinder $50 RS125 tank mold $150 RS125 seat mold $150 TZ500 pipe came with rat motor $700 for the motor with pipe but only the pipe is used various ali 'borrowed' from previous employer free (actual value maybe $150) various machining done in trade for welding, who knows. ali 415 rear sprockets from Aussie $60 other shit I forgot about and there is a lot of it ???
    Countless hours of my time fitting, fabricating, designing, calculating, driving around getting shit done, welding, machining, testing, fixing fuck ups, blah blah PRICELESS!!!
    (but would no doubt add up to many thousands if I had to pay for it)
    It all depends on what you want and what makes you happy.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler_94 View Post
    I prefer to spend my money on the big track.
    Pretty much sums it up.

I now see why when/if i go to other tracks i get whipped down the straights.
    Ride harder in the corners to keep ahead, thats how it is for me!

Bike
    RG50 and 76 Suzuki GP125 Buckets
    What happened to the old days with the cheap standard GL (loncin) engines??
    Quote Originally Posted by fi5hy View Post
    .......new Loncin motor $595.00...... up over 10 years $1280.00 = $128 per year EAT SHIT PEOPLE
    The days of a good rider and a Loncin are not over as there is always someone who seems to be able to make bigger hp bikes eat shit .......... ............ fast corner speed shouldn't be allowed........

Bike
    CBR 150.RGV250 Bucket
    Blog Entries
    If you charged for the time and effort ( mental as well as physical ) most buckets would be priceless... apart from Fishies but he's just annoying.
    Life is a lesson-if I bother to listen

Bike
    Rattlecan blue
    Three FXRs I've built would average at about 2k each, that includes spare rims with wets but not consumables like tyres and all the bits I've smashed or worn out in the last two years or so. Most expensive probably $2500 cheapest $1500.
    Then probably about $500 a bike a year to race with tyres oil and entry fees etc if we stick to Auckland, start going to away meets and gas for the van and accomodation can easily run to a $500 weekend. Still hell cheap though when you consider other forms of motorcycle sport, even dirt bikes come out as more expensive since you stilll have the travel and a decent bike is going to run $10+ and need replacing every couple of years, and the entry for an enduro or X country is at the $50 to $65 mark.

Bike
    Repsol Blade & SV pro twin
    Wow some of you have spent a lot of dosh - I bought my 89 CBR400RR for $2000, ready to race in pre 89 Junior and F3.

Running costs are higher but....
    Visit the team here - teambentley

Thanks to my sponsors : The Station Sports Cafe and Bar | TSS Red Baron | Zany Zeus | Continental | The Office Relocation Company | Fine Signs | Stokes Valley Collision Repair | CBWD Digital Media Inbound Marketing

Bike
    Rattlecan blue
    Quote Originally Posted by Deano View Post
    Running costs are higher but....
    I think the biggest attraction of buckets over other classes for me at the moment is the fact that I can race 11 times a year without leaving town so no need for a huge travel budget.

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by Henk View Post
    I think the biggest attraction of buckets over other classes for me at the moment is the fact that I can race 11 times a year without leaving town so no need for a huge travel budget.
    Yes actually showing up costs buggar all.

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    don't forget how much track time you get. cost per hour on the track is unbeatable

Thread Information