Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: GSXR400/1135 hybrid race bike '80s

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    Ahem. . . It wasn't built out of an impulse
    If anyone wants a rolling alloy frame for the bike in question, I have one that could be had for almost next to not much eventually, as I did buy one to build a replica before I found the bike itself.
    Keep it ya mug. Ya never know...

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonu View Post
    Keep it ya mug. Ya never know...
    Lol, I cleared out my storage shed during the week. Do you know how many times i said, "I'm keeping that in case the GSX1100 gets endoed"
    Anyone need any 1980 gsx1100 road parts? The kind of stuff race bikes don't use.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Ahem. . . It wasn't built out of an impulse
    If anyone wants a rolling alloy frame for the bike in question, I have one that could be had for almost next to not much eventually, as I did buy one to build a replica before I found the bike itself.
    Wait,whut? Oh there was a pic of an impulse a few pages back but it might have been in relation to wheel sizes
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    motocompo
    Look what finally turned up at my workshop today.
    This thread is almost exactly nine years old & im just as keen on this project as I was then.
    And a copy of the revs magazine with the bike on the cover taped to the seat.
    Ill photograph some of the handmade components over the next few days & put the pics up.
    Anyone want a McIntosh seat unit?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190619_110030.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	765.6 KB 
ID:	342165  

Bike
    motocompo
    Heres the bike i got cheap in January to take the bodywork off.
    The bloke must have thought i was a fairly easy going buyer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190619_114544.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	792.4 KB 
ID:	342166  

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    Look what finally turned up at my workshop today.
    And a copy of the revs magazine with the bike on the cover taped to the seat.
    Ill photograph some of the handmade components over the next few days & put the pics up.
    Anyone want a McIntosh seat unit?
    Nice, I'm thinking I remember that bike ??? Keen on your progress with it.

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Bike
    Exercycle
    I'll put my hand up for the seat, thanks. We can offset it against something I'm sure. There's a small suzuki project about to start - and that seat on it will offend Ken nicely.
    The rear wheel in the racebike - is it an OE suzuki widened by welding ? If it is, I can see why you wanted my Dymag. I've seen that done down here - but only once. Jim Landrebe of all people, made a small comeback on a Honda Bros i'd done the motor on for the previous owner. He widened the OE front to a more suitable 3.5in.

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    I'll put my hand up for the seat, thanks. We can offset it against something I'm sure. There's a small suzuki project about to start - and that seat on it will offend Ken nicely.
    The rear wheel in the racebike - is it an OE suzuki widened by welding ? If it is, I can see why you wanted my Dymag. I've seen that done down here - but only once. Jim Landrebe of all people, made a small comeback on a Honda Bros i'd done the motor on for the previous owner. He widened the OE front to a more suitable 3.5in.
    The seat is yours, it can be full payment for that really simple honda motor you have apart of mine at the mo.
    Yep, the rear wheel is welded widened, will post a close up sometime. I will keep it on the bike, as its part of what makes it what it is.
    why did i want your dymag? It has one on the front, maybe a wet wheel, but mainly because I know rocking horse shit when I see it.

Bike
    Exercycle
    The seat is yours, it can be full payment for that really simple honda motor you have apart of mine at the mo.
    On that basis, I can't afford it.

Bike
    husaberg
    Koosman in the USA did thousands of them he even used to change the diameters as well as the widths
    http://kosmanspecialties.com/product/wheel-widening/
    Fisrt time i heard it used was on the CW 7/11 in the 80's
    over 12000 wheels according to the blurb.
    now done here
    https://www.custommetalspinning.com/...=wheelwidening
    i had a write up on the process but it was simply done how you would think it was.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    Exercycle
    Not worth doing now. So many aftermarket rims available plus the widths have pretty much standardised now.
    Drebe did the Bros wheel in the early 90's because he couldn't find a 3.5in which would drop in and use the Honda disc.
    Then he finished up putting a second caliper on the thing...When I saw that, I told him he should have saved time and money just swapping a twin disc front end into it.
    The bike is owned in ChCh now and hasn't been out for years.

Bike
    husaberg
    Not worth doing now. So many aftermarket rims available plus the widths have pretty much standardised now.
    Drebe did the Bros wheel in the early 90's because he couldn't find a 3.5in which would drop in and use the Honda disc.
    Then he finished up putting a second caliper on the thing...When I saw that, I told him he should have saved time and money just swapping a twin disc front end into it.
    The bike is owned in ChCh now and hasn't been out for years.
    The reason they used to do it was it was cheap and it was fast. rather than lack of choice.
    They could get aftermarket wheels then same as now, but back then a Marvic set was 2G, when 2g was 4 about weeks wages.

If it was for period look wheels for a race class or even for a resto-mod it could still have it place.
    Bros wheels were ugly, but they were one of the few bikes overshod and over forked for its day for a road bike anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Richard Pollock (Mule Motorcycles) does his or gets Kosman to on some of the trackers he builds.

Cool AF. As you say basically to get the look he wants.

I love these and want one. Basically I want one of everything.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    motocompo
    I have been messaging Leon, the guy I got the bike off. He passed on the following info.
    I've chopped it about a bit, but it still makes sense.

Do you know what state the engine is in?
    The engine has 1 Bathurst and 1 Oran Park meet on it since a full rebuild. All new consumables except the pistons.

What state of tune is it in?
    it is half way between endurance and grenade. idle is 1800min

What Pistons,
    These are the forged pistons from an air cooled GSX1000 katana race special. The included angle of the valves is very different and each piston has had the four valve pockets fly cut to suit. These were plasticine checked to have 0.8mm minimum clearance between valve and piston at the extreme of the overlap. be careful with cams of more duration and lift

cams,
    These are specials based on a racing powerboat design (originally a V12 Jag engine design) for early torque development. I will try to remember the name of the original artist and send it latter. Any good grind shop can measure

compression ratio,
    approx 11.2 with the thin head gasket (copper core only) and 10.9 with a std head gasket

Clutch has been strengthened with very heavy backlash springs and hew heavy rivets, still has the helical cut gear. the original first engine had a straight cut gear that howled. It was replaced for the next meeting as Phillis did not like it I was told.

What is the disconnected pump on the LH side of the engine for?
    This was meant to be an auxiliary and completely separate pump to service a tail unit oil cooler, all pump internals are based on that era (1984) Honda XR 250 4 stroke dirt bike the drive chain is the cam drive from the same motor

What are the front calipers off? I see Yamaha Tokico on them, what model?
    These were never one the original, they are from the 4 cylinder RZ500 GP street bike Yamaha made. The original had all Lockheed brakes off the English Bandit version of the RGB 500 Mk5 (I think) including the discs. Oddly enough the bolt pattern and disc size of the GRXR1000K1 is almost identical and very similar in appearance

Do the forks have any internal mods?
    The fork internals are revalved and resprung ( Chris Dowde special) Not sure of the details. The brake pressure activate anti-dive brake feature at the front of the forks was replaced with the resistance type ones of the GSX1100EFE

I think I have the headlight blanking mould I built for this , If I find it I will make one and send it

Bike
    Exercycle
    The cams are a slight worry. This engine uses rocker arms and an assymetric cam to suit. Jags are symmetrical cams.
    That's tight valve to piston too.
    Worth asking if any mods were made to the lubrication system - uprated pump etc.

How long ago was it last run ?

Thread Information