Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Northern Coromandel Loop - don't bother!

Bike
    Sold

Northern Coromandel Loop - don't bother!

Did the full Loop on Sunday and it wasn't too bad even with the patching. Today, they're resurfacing big time on the Thames - Coromandel stretch. There's major resurfacing from Wilson's Bay to Manaia with tar-coated gravel freshly laid today. I had to do a trip to Thames and back to Coro this afternoon and the bike is absolutely covered in tar and chips, included partially jamming my back brake. About to go out and knock of the chips before they set.

I'd recommend finding somewhere else to ride for a few days!

Cheers,

Geoff

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Crikey!

Get those chips off your bike, seagulls love em.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	seagull.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	9.3 KB 
ID:	347504
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Crikey!

Get those chips off your bike, seagulls love em.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	seagull.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	9.3 KB 
ID:	347504
    The little fuckers would be well weighed down with these . Reckon I got close to a kilo of them out of the nooks and crannies

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Did you check your radiator fan?

Had a road chip caught between the rad fan and radiator of the previous bike... caused a wee overheating issue in traffic

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    ... I'd recommend finding somewhere else to ride for a few days!

Cheers,

Geoff
    I did the full Coro loop in 1981 on a 1979 GS1000e

Once was enough. I thought it was "Busy" and bad then.

I found plenty of roads in the South island ... that are better.

I went to the 21st Cold Kiwi on a GS1000s. I ventured as far north as Turangi. Around the mountain and home.

That was my last motorcycle trip in the North island. And I don't miss it.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    I did the full Coro loop in 1981 on 179 GS1000e.

I went to the 21st Cold Kiwi on a GS1000s. I ventured as far north as Turangi. Around the mountain and home.

If you thought it was busy then, you'd really hate Coro now.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    If you thought it was busy then, you'd really hate Coro now.

As a local resident, weekdays are absolutely fine as long as it isn't in the school holidays. I avoid weekends although last Sunday was good as we were going against the traffic flow at the end of the school hols. During the 2 weeks of Christmas and a lot of weekends, we can't get near the ramp on our street to launch the boat Still, being retired, we can pick and choose what and when

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    As a local resident, weekdays are absolutely fine as long as it isn't in the school holidays. I avoid weekends although last Sunday was good as we were going against the traffic flow at the end of the school hols. During the 2 weeks of Christmas and a lot of weekends, we can't get near the ramp on our street to launch the boat Still, being retired, we can pick and choose what and when
    A few of us did the southern loop last Saturday and it was fine. Some traffic going up the hill from Kopu, but most people move to the left as you come up behind them. No overseas tourists is a bonus.

We stopped at a friend's place at Whiritoa and there was almost no traffic after 4 on the stretch to Waihi. A real treat.

We went back to Auckland through Tahuna and saw a speed camera van in one of the small settlements. But plenty of vehicles on the expressway doing 120 and not a police car to be seen. Not us of course!

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    A few of us did the southern loop last Saturday and it was fine. Some traffic going up the hill from Kopu, but most people move to the left as you come up behind them. No overseas tourists is a bonus.

We stopped at a friend's place at Whiritoa and there was almost no traffic after 4 on the stretch to Waihi. A real treat.

We went back to Auckland through Tahuna and saw a speed camera van in one of the small settlements. But plenty of vehicles on the expressway doing 120 and not a police car to be seen. Not us of course!
    I guess it must be frustrating up your way with all the reduced speed limits in place! The Auckland regional IAM team seem to spend more time these days doing social runs in the Waikato . There are some fantastic back roads with stuff-all traffic.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    I guess it must be frustrating up your way with all the reduced speed limits in place! The Auckland regional IAM team seem to spend more time these days doing social runs in the Waikato . There are some fantastic back roads with stuff-all traffic.
    Even more so now, with the revised limits. At worst, 100kph roads are now 50kph. So yes, plenty of motivation to get out of Auckland
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    R1200GSA
    The little fuckers would be well weighed down with these . Reckon I got close to a kilo of them out of the nooks and crannies
    That happened to us a few years back in Northland. We got into Dargaville having come through two stretches of road with this weird brown coloured gravel thrown over liquid tar.
    I spent an hour at the side of the road pulling chips off both (white!) bikes. Back brakes were awful with it. The Aprilia I had then had so many nooks and crannies for the chips.
    If I had seen a road worker over the course of the following hours I would probably be currently at her majesty’s pleasure right now. Never been so grumpy after a days riding!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    It's not too bad where I normally ride in the south-east. Some 80 limits have been extended and there are a few new 60 limits through small places like Mangatangi. Otherwise all good.

But the north Waikato roads are great. More bikes now that people learn about them after doing a R4E course, but you can still ride some back roads on a Sunday and not see another vehicle for 10 minutes.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulsterkiwi View Post
    That happened to us a few years back in Northland. We got into Dargaville having come through two stretches of road with this weird brown coloured gravel thrown over liquid tar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Brown Scoria type stuff? You don't see it before you hear it tinkling off the bike.

Exactly the same has happened to me over that way. I was just about to peel into some twisties when I heard the tinkling and realised I was on fresh chip.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    I did the full Coro loop in 1981 on a 1979 GS1000e

There are so many cool roads in the norf you are missing out on. SH1 is of course boring as shit, but its the same going to chch.

I used to think SI was best touring area. And it is.
    But there are comparable roads in the north with Google maps plotting off SH1 routes a real boon.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    There are so many cool roads in the norf you are missing out on. SH1 is of course boring as shit, but its the same going to chch.
    I'll second that emotion: East Cape, Waioeka gorge, Gentle Annie, SH43 and on and on.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Thread Information