Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Minginui - Matawai - Motu Midwinter Madness Ride 28-29 July 2012

Bike
    DR650, Yamaha 1100 + Watsonian Sidecar

One more

Should be a great ride
    I've been waiting to see what happens at work, and it's now looking good for time off on Friday to ride up to Taupo
    So I'm planning to be in for both days of the ride.

Also keen to travel back thru Napier on the Sunday on the way South via a few back roads.
    Now I just need to find some accommodation (not camping)

Bike
    WR250R
    Quote Originally Posted by Dingledoo View Post
    Thanks nightfalcon.

You made me question what map was showing on the unit, and it seems that the updated one isn't going onto the GPS unit from Mapsource. Not sure why.

Have spent hours on it. So fed up with the GPS now, I'm going to revert back to good old fashion paper maps.
    Ugh, what a pain. I don't have any experience with Mapsource, so I'm not sure how you'd get it to update the map on your GPS. You could try asking on the GPS thread.

There had been a big slip on Ohuka Rd which closed it until a couple of months ago. Consequently older versions of the Open GPS maps won't show Ohuka Rd going all the way through, so your GPS will route you around it (which takes you all the way to Frasertown). I had the same problem, until I updated the maps. But you are right, carrying the routesheets and a map is a good idea. I will be doing that too.

Quote Originally Posted by Box'a'bits View Post
    Don't worry guys, I'm sure I remember Rosie offering to help you sort out your GPS at the Rangitaikei Pub Friday night
    I can barely operate my own GPS while sober... the chances of me sorting out other models of GPS at the pub are pretty slim
    The road to hell is paved...

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    You made me question what map was showing on the unit, and it seems that the updated one isn't going onto the GPS unit from Mapsource. Not sure why.

Have spent hours on it. So fed up with the GPS now, I'm going to revert back to good old fashion paper maps.
    (Unsure what I'm opening myself up to) I'm happy to try and help answer questions, but won't be at Rangitaiki on Friday night. I will be in Matawai on Saturday night tho. No laptop to "fix" units however, but feel free to ask questions about Garmin GPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    KTM 640 Enduro

Friday Afternoon Reverse Pre-Run

On Friday afternoon Rosie & I will be heading from my place at Rotoiti via Te Teko to Minginui then doing the first section of the ride in reverse over to the Rangitaiki Pub via Waipunga.

If anyone else is coming over from our direction & wants to join us we will be leaving my place, 1325 SH30 Gisborne Pt, at 2pm. We will be turning off SH30 on to Galatea Rd at 2:45pm if anyone want to meet there. We will fuel up at Murupara before heading in to Minginui. NOTE: You need 240km range to do this option & make it to Waikaremoana without diverting to Taupo or Murupara for fuel.

If you want to get in to my place a bit earlier for a cuppa & some lunch you are welcome.

Cheers
    Clint

Bike
    uKTM Tiger 800xc
    Thanks nightfalcon.

my zumo has a section in the settings to select maps. I have three in there and ticked them all. everything worked once i did this...I imagine yours will have something similar?
    ....wherezz that track go

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
    I have three in there and ticked them all. everything worked once i did this...I imagine yours will have something similar?
    On the Zumo 550 it's Main screen > spanner > Map > Map Info. However, if you are using the NZOGPS maps, tick only 2 listed as NZ Open GPS autorouting etc blah blah.

Having multiple maps (NZOGPS and Garmin etc) will map for a complete lacking of good routing, but excellent hilarity as the GPS tries to use both sets of maps at once.

This is important for the first time using NZOGPS. When you load new mapsets, they replace the old NZOGPS maps (unless you're running a custom setup), so the ticks stay, you use new maps etc.
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    F800GS
    Quote Originally Posted by clint640 View Post

If anyone else is coming over from our direction & wants to join us we will be leaving my place, 1325 SH30 Gisborne Pt, at 2pm. We will be turning off SH30 on to Galatea Rd at 2:45pm if anyone want to meet there.
    If you want to get in to my place a bit earlier for a cuppa & some lunch you are welcome.

Cheers
    Clint
    You'd best mention the big ass tyre out the front. Wouldn't want anybody riding up and down the road trying to find an obscure ESN number

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries

Mid winter madness menu $30 per person. Please book as we need to know the numbers.

Seems the Matawai Hotel got a little lost in logging into the site, and posted this in blogs:

Matawai Hotel
    PO Box 27
    Matawai
    Ph: 06 862 4874 Phone Essie or email
    waiheke.chocolate@xtra.co.nz

Dinner menu for Matawai - Motu Ride 28th May

Main Event
    • Tarragon Roast Chicken with creamy tarragon gravy
    • Roasted Mutton & Apple Sauce
    • Roast Pork & Apple Sauce

Garden Produce
    • Spice roasted kumara, pumpkin, potatoes
    • Orange glazed carrots
    • Buttered Baby green beans
    • Broccoli and cheese sauce

Sweet Treats
    • Our house cheese cake
    • Pavlova fruit topped
    • Fruit montage with vanilla cream

----------------------------

Are we booking individually, or an organiser taking numbers and passing them along? I feel hungry already

Bike
    Buell XB12X 'Black Betty'
    On Friday afternoon Rosie & I will be heading from my place at Rotoiti via Te Teko to Minginui then doing the first section of the ride in reverse over to the Rangitaiki Pub via Waipunga.

If anyone else is coming over from our direction & wants to join us we will be leaving my place, 1325 SH30 Gisborne Pt, at 2pm. We will be turning off SH30 on to Galatea Rd at 2:45pm if anyone want to meet there. We will fuel up at Murupara before heading in to Minginui. NOTE: You need 240km range to do this option & make it to Waikaremoana without diverting to Taupo or Murupara for fuel.

Cheers
    Clint
    Hi Clint, I'm guessing you will swing into Murapara 4 a splash-n-dash? What time would you likely be there you think? 3-20 to 3-30ish?
    I'm no gynaecologist, however I would be happy to take a look......................

Bike
    Uni-cycle
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Seems the Matawai Hotel got a little lost in logging into the site, and posted this in blogs:

Matawai Hotel
    PO Box 27
    Matawai
    Ph: 06 862 4874 Phone Essie or email
    waiheke.chocolate@xtra.co.nz

Main Event

Garden Produce
    • Orange glazed carrots

Sweet Treats
    • Our house cheese cake
    • Pavlova fruit topped

Are we booking individually, or an organiser taking numbers and passing them along? I feel hungry already
    Thanks to Gremlin for steering me in the right direction, get lost easily. Please book individually via email or leave a message on the phone would be good too. Cheers Essie

Bike
    KTM 990 Adventure '06
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post

Main Event

Garden Produce
    • Orange glazed carrots

Sweet Treats
    • Our house cheese cake
    • Pavlova fruit topped

Mmmmm. +1 here!

Bike
    KTM 640 Enduro
    Quote Originally Posted by JATZ View Post
    You'd best mention the big ass tyre out the front. Wouldn't want anybody riding up and down the road trying to find an obscure ESN number
    As the ride finishes up at my place detailed directions are in the routesheet.

Quote Originally Posted by ducatijim View Post
    Hi Clint, I'm guessing you will swing into Murapara 4 a splash-n-dash? What time would you likely be there you think? 3-20 to 3-30ish?
    Yep, I reckon that would be a good guess.

Anybody coming with mates that will want a feed at Matawai, but may not see Essie's message on here, please give them a heads up on booking in for the meal

Cheers
    Clint

Bike
    WR250R
    Will you be posting up a lunch menu, so we can preorder?
    The road to hell is paved...

Bike
    2007 Suzuki DR200 SE
    One day Loop plans for Hawkes Bay riders are as follows if anyone wants to tag along.

I'm meeting Marty (Night Falcon) at his place at 5.50am in Havelock North. Glad to hear 'Jimbo' is able to join us also Marty
    Then we will ride to BP Connect Bay View(open 24 hrs), arriving there 6.15am. Gas up. Meeting GrantWB there & anyone else who would like to join us, or who is staying over in Hawkes Bay for the night for MMMMM.
    Wade, hear you've been in contact with Marty, great, & Bart/ Pomgolian what are your plans ?. If any other Hv Nth riders want to meet at Marty's, suggest you pm him. Remember to be as quiet as poss when arriving on Sat so we don't wake the kids or neighbours
    We will meet Clint, Rosie & the group at the corner of Pohokura Rd. We will be there by 7.50/8.00 am LOL

On the return, maybe a stop at the nice Cafe 287 just South of Wairoa (3kms on the left past Wairoa), this cafe is open till 4.00pm. . . . then a stop for a hot or cold one at Waikare Pub in Putorino?

Bike
    2007 Suzuki DR200 SE
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    Probably tag along for the Saturday round the block Napier to Napier group. Used to regularly drive SH5 in linehaul truck so I'll be the canary for the spotting the icy spots (famous last words). Metvuew site looks like changable weather and approaching front so hopefully they'll be enough wind to ward off the ice. Works has been good with that new grit and acetate deicing compound during last few years that ice risk has been reduced greatly.
    The coldest part is always the plains along lochinvar straight to the start of the waipungas, often saw minus seven through there on the trucks external temp gauge.
    Did run through SH38 at end of may, most of gravel was packed down hard like concrete so prob had a good grade since then.
    You are sounding like the ideal bloke to join us. . . . being able to spot the icy spots is a real bonus
    Welcome aboard 'Canary' .

Thread Information