PDA

View Full Version : Moped thingy

Squid
15th August 2009, 19:29
I have tried searching but alas the wonders of the KB search function are lacking. :doh:

The question is: What do you call a pushbike with a engine on it (>50cc)

According to some its a moped isnt that a scooter???

So lets just say moped = scooter. What do I call the motor-pushcycle and more importantly, will I need to register it? (keeping in mind under 50cc and 2kW power)

attached is something like what I've got in mind

SMOKEU
15th August 2009, 19:32
Legally it is a moped and needs to be registered as such, and it must comply with all the relevant laws which are applicable to mopeds in the year in which it was first manufactured.

Squid
15th August 2009, 19:34
Legally it is a moped and needs to be registered as such, and it must comply with all the relevant laws which are applicable to mopeds in the year in which it was first manufactured.

Lights, indicators, brakelights etc etc. Bugger that. So I just need to find a really old pushbike and use that as the year of manufacture... :msn-wink:

James Deuce
15th August 2009, 21:27
Since when do you need indicators and brake lights for a warrant?

humphrt
15th August 2009, 23:57
Since when do you need indicators and brake lights for a warrant?

Mopeds dont require a WOF

EJK
16th August 2009, 00:04
I don't see people having a rego plate on those.

Nagash
16th August 2009, 00:12
I would love to see someone getting pulled over on bicycle...

Take photos!

Squid
16th August 2009, 00:32
I don't see people having a rego plate on those.

Nor me! Might just wander down to the cop shop on day and ask. Or just make one, ride it about the place and see what happens :corn:

I would love to see someone getting pulled over on bicycle...

Take photos!

Bro it really sucks!!! I was just innocently riding down the footpath at night. ok so I was praticing my wheelie-ing with no lights or helmet.. The nice offisher did tell me to take the ticket in with recipets to get off though

roadracingoldfart
18th August 2009, 07:17
The question is: What do you call a pushbike with a engine on it (>50cc)

According to some its a moped isnt that a scooter???

I think its deemed a "power cycle".
no specific licence to ride , must wear a helmet.

KrazyGixxerBoy
19th August 2009, 09:26
I've always called them mopeds (e.g. MOtor and PEDal). Pretty sure they don't need a WOF but unsure on licencing. I know you can ride a 50cc scooter on a learners car licence but unsure on a moped.
Good luckl, let us know how you get on.

bogan
19th August 2009, 09:44
Interesting question, I suspect itll be classed as a moped (same as 50cc scooter), as the regulations for moped dont give any frame type (i have a sportsbike registered as a moped). Though you might want to look into mobility scooter regulations as well. Being classed as a moped may also mean you cant ride in the cycle lanes.

Squid
19th August 2009, 13:05
I think its deemed a "power cycle".
no specific licence to ride , must wear a helmet.

Yeah I just got an email back from LTSA this morning, basically it needs to be under 300 W of power* (so a large egg beater is out), have pedals that are capable of powering the bike without the engine and just usual pushbike stuff.

*Im not sure what the chances of getting dyno tested on the side of the road are though....

Squid
19th August 2009, 16:44
Right I have found a old 2-stroke weedeater on trademe so depending on what it'll cost me to get sent down to dunedin I'll buy it. Then comes the part of trying to get it to fit.... If it ends up going ahead I start a build thread and put some photos up. Tell your friends ;)

marty
19th August 2009, 16:57
One of the guys at work also has the e-mail from LTSA. If it can be pedalled with the engine shut off, and is under 300watts - it does not need a rego or WOF (or indeed, a licence of any kind to ride it - perfect for disqualified drivers/riders). He has a 70cc kit on his - it cruises at 65-70km/h - would go faster if it was on a cruiser-type bike (lower c of g and less wind resistance) and had taller gearing.

The 50cc uses 1 litre of 2-stroke gas/100kms. the 70 chews through 1 litre in 90kms.

if you are thinking of the Motrax (or similar) kit though, be prepared to strip it before running it, as the build quality is pretty average. there is a big range or after market bits for them though.

And you want a bike with disc brakes - not old school v brakes

SMOKEU
19th August 2009, 18:47
I have also emailed LTNZ and such a bike is classed as a motor vehicle by law.

Squid
19th August 2009, 20:04
One of the guys at work also has the e-mail from LTSA. If it can be pedalled with the engine shut off, and is under 300watts - it does not need a rego or WOF (or indeed, a licence of any kind to ride it - perfect for disqualified drivers/riders). He has a 70cc kit on his - it cruises at 65-70km/h - would go faster if it was on a cruiser-type bike (lower c of g and less wind resistance) and had taller gearing.

if its over 50cc then it has to be rego'd as a motorcycle and go through compliance testing etc etc.

The 50cc uses 1 litre of 2-stroke gas/100kms. the 70 chews through 1 litre in 90kms.

if you are thinking of the Motrax (or similar) kit though, be prepared to strip it before running it, as the build quality is pretty average. there is a big range or after market bits for them though.

Nah bro those kits look way too pro. Im a student with an income of approx $50 per week. It is a project on a budget!

And you want a bike with disc brakes - not old school v brakes

a weedeater engine of 25cc will get my fat arse up to around about 25kph on a good day Im guessing. The rubber brakes will be sweet. Will let you know what happens though.

Ixion
19th August 2009, 23:35
if its over 50cc then it has to be rego'd as a motorcycle and go through compliance testing etc etc.

Not quite. If (1) the vehicle can be propelled by human effort (ie pedelled) ; AND (2) the power unit of any auxiliary motive unit (which must be detachable) is less than 300 watts (about half a horsepower) ; and (3) the wheels are less than 355 mm diameter (about 12 inch, scooter size), then it can classify as a wheeled recreational device. Same like a skateboard. No WoF Rego licence. But the machine in the OP won't classify, because the wheels are too big, and the motor is bound to be more than 300 watt (though how's a cop going to prove that?)

Another option would be to claim it's a mobility scooter, which is allowed up to 1500 watt (2 horsepower), and no wheel size restriction. But, you'd have to be able to show that you were disabled infirm or suffering from a neurogical condition (such a claim could be very dangerous - to establish it you'd need to show that you were in fact unfit to hold a motor vehicle licence)

EDIT. Oddly, there is no cc restriction in either case. probably because most such devices do not use internal combustion engines.

Squid
20th August 2009, 15:28
forgiveness is easier to ask than permission. :innocent:

If I can get this weedwacker engine and get the thing to work I'll build it and see what happens.

CookMySock
20th August 2009, 15:38
if its over 50cc then it has to be rego'd as a motorcycle and go through compliance testing etc etc. That is my understanding also.

A moped must be less than 2hp, under 50 km/hr, less than 50cc, or thereabouts.

If it's over 50cc, then it can't be registered as a moped, so you have to lie on the application form, or register as a motorcycle.

Steve

ICE180
22nd August 2009, 15:30
Might have to get the old SOLEX going and see how long before the cops pull me over

Markw336
23rd August 2009, 11:16
just go down to AA they will be able to tell you what you have to register it as

marty
23rd August 2009, 19:21

Nah bro those kits look way too pro. Im a student with an income of approx $50 per week. It is a project on a budget!

a weedeater engine of 25cc will get my fat arse up to around about 25kph on a good day Im guessing. The rubber brakes will be sweet. Will let you know what happens though.

Read my post again. I KNOW it needs a reg and WOF if over 50cc - it doesn't though if it <50cc and has the pedalling system attached directly to a drive train. He is simply running a 70 with 50 markings