PDA

View Full Version : Scams....Paypal from the 'States

Patrick
1st November 2010, 13:47
Dunno if this has been posted before, but here goes... (Too computor illiterate to do engine search thingy whatsit.....)

Recently made a purchase of two things on Tardme using creditcard... A couple of days later we get an email saying we had purchased stuff on Paypal, (for stuff we haven't bought...), two items, like from Tardme, for a similar price... "and it will appear on your Visa statement shortly. If you want to dispute the purchase, click here (on a "dispute the payment" icon thingy panel...)."

Thinking this had something to do with the recent purchase, I thought hmmm....... and mistakenly clicked on the panel, but luckily, (I think...) it went to a paypal sign up site..... so closed it down.

CHecked the Visa - nothing there.

Thinking somethings up, rang Visa and they advise to delete and then delete the deleted stuff part.....

It is a scam.....

Farken con artist arsewipes...... Hope the disease that they already are, turns fatal....

So you's fellas and fellesses out there know.....

marie_speeds
1st November 2010, 13:59
Dunno if this has been posted before, but here goes... (Too computor illiterate to do engine search thingy whatsit.....)

Recently made a purchase of two things on Tardme using creditcard... A couple of days later we get an email saying we had purchased stuff on Paypal, (for stuff we haven't bought...), two items, like from Tardme, for a similar price... "and it will appear on your Visa statement shortly. If you want to dispute the purchase, click here (on a "dispute the payment" icon thingy panel...)."

Thinking this had something to do with the recent purchase, I thought hmmm....... and mistakenly clicked on the panel, but luckily, (I think...) it went to a paypal sign up site..... so closed it down.

CHecked the Visa - nothing there.

Thinking somethings up, rang Visa and they advise to delete and then delete the deleted stuff part.....

It is a scam.....

Farken con artist arsewipes...... Hope the disease that they already are, turns fatal....

So you's fellas and fellesses out there know.....

The page links are completely fake and clicking on such links can introduce programs/viruses/trojans etc onto your computer that monitor your key presses, so make sure you run a full scan on your computer.

Virago
1st November 2010, 15:20
I'm getting them too - at the rate of two or three a day - I don't even use Paypal...

Just the usual phishing scam.

Mom
1st November 2010, 15:48
I'm getting them too - at the rate of two or three a day - I don't even use Paypal...

Just the usual phishing scam.

Same, have never used Paypal, I have them automatically consigned to junk now.

slofox
1st November 2010, 16:35
I get heaps of them along the lines of..."Your kiwibank/asb/anz/westpac(choose your brand) account has been frozen due to blah blah blah...please tell us all the stuff so we can raid your account".

The fact that I have no account with that particular bank usually makes me just a tad suspicious...

Oh and I get the Paypal ones as well. I do use a paypal account but always ignore any emails I get purporting to be from them...I figure if anything really does happen to the account I'll hear about it one day. But not via email...

marty
1st November 2010, 18:53
I have been getting heaps about an RC place - I have put a rule in place to block anything that says $29.99!

AllanB
1st November 2010, 19:12
Anyone want a web link to a penis enlarger - I get the emails occasionally but I obviously don't require the enlarger. :innocent:

Kickaha
1st November 2010, 19:18
I have been getting heaps about an RC place - I have put a rule in place to block anything that says $29.99!

Yeah, I have been getting the same one

Virago
1st November 2010, 19:25
"You have paid $28.99 to Debbie`s RC World !" :yes:

YellowDog
1st November 2010, 19:31
I hate the UPS ones, particularly when I am expecting a UPS delivery.

Not nice people and unlikely to be motorcyclists :no:

DEATH_INC.
1st November 2010, 19:42
"You have paid $28.99 to Debbie`s RC World !" :yes:
lol, yeh. obvious fake though, the selection icon thingy comes up anywhere on the page, not just on the 'if you wanna dispute' bit and the place it links you to nothing works (links etc) except the panels to enter your paypal details....you'd be a bit silly to get caught out by this one....

Virago
1st November 2010, 19:50
lol, yeh. obvious fake though, the selection icon thingy comes up anywhere on the page, not just on the 'if you wanna dispute' bit and the place it links you to nothing works (links etc) except the panels to enter your paypal details....you'd be a bit silly to get caught out by this one....

As usual, lots of people are stupid enough to get sucked in. It's been around for about 3 years, but a quick bit of googling reveals they're targeting NZ email addresses at present.

Certainly Debbie's RC World aren't happy about it:

http://www.debbiesrcworld.com/Scam.html

Highlander
1st November 2010, 20:03
Saw the same one come through our place about a week ago. Never used paypal for anything so deleted it accordingly.

Slight surge sideways, but still about weird stuff comming through on statements:
I read in the paper seceral years ago about an English Gent who was touring NZ in a camper van with his teen aged son and stopped for groceries at the Big Fresh Supermarket in the Christchurch suburb of Shirley. A couple of days later he got an irate call from his wife (still in the UK) asking who "Big Fresh Shirley" was and why she had charged several hundred dollars to their credit card. :shutup: