PDA

View Full Version : Oxford heated hand grips saga

Hitcher
3rd June 2013, 16:29
Oxford's heating hand grips work really well and are easy to operate. The range of different temperature settings comes in handy.

They're supposed to have a cut-out system that switches them off once the bike's voltage drops under 10.5.

Well, gentle readers, that's not quite what happened recently to one's Z1000. I uncovered it to take it out for a ride, as I sometimes do. I turned on the key to find not even a flicker or a random digital decimal place showing on the panel. Deader than a dead thing it was.

Ever gone looking for a battery in a Z1000? Yes, it is indeed "under the back seat somewhere." Several panels and Allen nuts later I had found the battery's terminals. A couple of bolts and a plastic box later I had liberated the battery terminals on Mrs H's Bandit. Electrical cross-pollination ensued. Leaving the Z running, everything then needed to be put back tidily away. Sigh.

The heated hand grips were nice and warm when it was time to ride away.

Next time the bike goes in for a service I'll get a relay fitted, because I don't want to go through this jump-starting palaver again.

Crasherfromwayback
3rd June 2013, 16:34
If we fitted 'em...take it back there...tell them to sort it free of charge. I said so.

Bonez
3rd June 2013, 16:45
I would've thought good standard practice would have them connected via a relay from the start.

pritch
3rd June 2013, 16:50
Would a relay help if the grips turned on of their own volition and could only be turned off by disconnecting the wire?

Bonez
3rd June 2013, 16:55
Only if you fitted a flux capacitor.

caspernz
3rd June 2013, 16:56
Would a relay help if the grips turned on of their own volition and could only be turned off by disconnecting the wire?

You may have misunderstood... Good practice is to fit them via a relay that disconnects them once the key is turned off, thus avoiding the problem Hitcher had.

Maha
3rd June 2013, 17:22
Heated hand grips....:oi-grr::facepalm::baby:...and a saga no less :brick:

slofox
3rd June 2013, 17:28
Easy to fit grips via a switched relay. Even I managed to do it without rending the very fabric of the universe.

Check HERE (http://www.canyonchasers.net/shop/generic/relay.php).

You're welcome.

cheshirecat
3rd June 2013, 18:41
Mine turn off waiting at the lights, maybe should take up red light running

spanner spinner
3rd June 2013, 20:35
Mine turn off waiting at the lights, maybe should take up red light running

Check your charge voltage sounds like they are dropping out at idle due to low voltage, have seen this with several sets that I have fixed. check the voltage at the power connector that feeds the control unit just in case there is a voltage loss in the power feed wire. Also some of the controllers cut out at higher voltages than others this is worth checking as well, if it is cutting out at to higher a voltage the only fix is a new controller.

spanner spinner
3rd June 2013, 20:43
They're supposed to have a cut-out system that switches them off once the bike's voltage drops under 10.5.

Next time the bike goes in for a service I'll get a relay fitted, because I don't want to go through this jump-starting palaver again.

Just cut into the main power out put wire from the ignition switch, I have fitted 100's of sets of heated grips and always wire them in this way saves the cost of the relay and is simpler.

As for the cut out voltage they all vary, some are worse than others. I have seen sets that turn off at 13 volts and others that flatten batteries just like yours which is why I always recommend to my customers that they wire them through the ignition.

gammaguy
3rd June 2013, 20:52
When I ran a workshop I would only fit them wired thru the ignition,to avoid those dreaded early morning or late night phone calls some workshops get....it always starts with the words..."you know my bike you worked on the other day"......

SMOKEU
3rd June 2013, 21:18
That shit sounds too technical, what's wrong with a simple on/off switch somewhere in the circuit?

nzspokes
3rd June 2013, 21:24
I reckon the Oxford controller is to complicated for its own good. They should just get rid of the volt sensor and tell people to relay them.

tristania
4th June 2013, 08:37
Interesting to hear. The shop that fitted mine refused to put a relay in saying the voltage cut-off would be sufficient and the units weren't known to malfunction.. ohh reaaaally?

oneofsix
4th June 2013, 08:41
Interesting to hear. The shop that fitted mine refused to put a relay in saying the voltage cut-off would be sufficient and the units weren't known to malfunction.. ohh reaaaally?

Sad to hear, after all whose paying for this work! Had a workmate had the same story, trouble is the sensor didn't allow for the always on headlight, didn't leave enough juice to turn the bike over with the light on after he forgot to turn the grips off.

scumdog
4th June 2013, 08:43
Easy to fit grips via a switched relay. Even I managed to do it without rending the very fabric of the universe.

Check HERE (http://www.canyonchasers.net/shop/generic/relay.php).

You're welcome.

Yep, even I managed to achieve success with this!:niceone:

tristania
4th June 2013, 08:44
Sad to hear, after all whose paying for this work!

Exactly. It took them 2 hours to wire them up directly to the battery too, feeling a bit ripped off tbh.

Maha
4th June 2013, 09:57
''Interesting to hear'' ''Sad to hear'' you heated grip users should start a support group :niceone:

nallac
4th June 2013, 10:30
''Interesting to hear'' ''Sad to hear'' you heated grip users should start a support group :niceone:

Says the man who postponed a ride cause it "might" rain.....:bleh:

I luv my heated grips:2thumbsup

Maha
4th June 2013, 10:34
Says the man who postponed a ride cause it "might" rain.....:bleh:

I luv my heated grips:2thumbsup

Was riding in snowy/rainy and sleety conditions (for about 50kms) at the weekend IN MY SUMMER GLOVES! had winter gloves with me but didn't need them....:baby:

I will only postpone a ride when there are newbies attending, and where conditions could be of concern. Always another day :cool:

Actually, I have name for the support group...Grippers of New Zealand Unite (GONZU) :lol:

The saga continues.

tristania
4th June 2013, 10:54
The sag continues.

Suspension issues? :bleh:

Maha
4th June 2013, 10:56
Suspension issues? :bleh:

Not any longer, and well spotted, I thank you.

tristania
4th June 2013, 11:01
Not any longer, and well spotted, I thank you.

Hehe no problems. I'm working on my observation skills now my hands are nice and warm :msn-wink:

Maha
4th June 2013, 11:09
Hehe no problems. I'm working on my observation skills now my hands are nice and warm :msn-wink:

Your stance on the jibing is to be commended, a large percentage of readers seem all to uptight and lack severely where humour is intended...so what colour is your Tutu?

tristania
4th June 2013, 11:12
Your stance on the jibing is to be commended, a large percentage of readers seem all to uptight and lack severely where humour is intended...so what colour is your Tutu?

Yeah life's a bit short for that, I'm trying to learn to take as much as I give lol. Whoops didn't mean to hijack thread..
As for my tutu... it's the same colour as my powerband :lol:

paturoa
4th June 2013, 12:04
A word of caution for the control unit and the switch unit. They are NOT waterproof. Now you'd think that someone making a motor cycle accessory would make them water proof.

The hard plastic grommet where the cables go in must face downwards as water gets in there.

caspernz
4th June 2013, 13:03
A word of caution for the control unit and the switch unit. They are NOT waterproof. Now you'd think that someone making a motor cycle accessory would make them water proof.

The hard plastic grommet where the cables go in must face downwards as water gets in there.

Meh, if you use hotgrips you obviously don't ride in the rain...I certainly try to avoid getting wet, on two wheels anyway.

The other question might be how do we maintain our testicular fortitude when the ambient temp approaches unpleasant levels? I for one prefer a pair of my wifes' gym shorts :banana:

oneofsix
4th June 2013, 13:08
Meh, if you use hotgrips you obviously don't ride in the rain...I certainly try to avoid getting wet, on two wheels anyway.

The other question might be how do we maintain our testicular fortitude when the ambient temp approaches unpleasant levels? I for one prefer a pair of my wifes' gym shorts :banana:

Tucked inside the helmet? :killingme

caspernz
4th June 2013, 13:11
Tucked inside the helmet? :killingme

No, worn as a bandana of course :clap: to hide the circumcision scar :rolleyes:

oneofsix
4th June 2013, 13:31
No, worn as a bandana of course :clap: to hide the circumcision scar :rolleyes:

prefer it as a neck warmer, the air flow lifts the ambience :msn-wink:

leathel
4th June 2013, 13:43
That shit sounds too technical, what's wrong with a simple on/off switch somewhere in the circuit?

there is one on the control unit..... you just need to remember to turn it of....

I wired mine through a relay just to be sure I didn't forget

Damn they get hot though... never have them on full

Plenty of rain has been on my switch assembly and its still going fine.....

caspernz
4th June 2013, 13:50
prefer it as a neck warmer, the air flow lifts the ambience :msn-wink:

Is that like saying the fun lasts longer when the pants are worn lower down? :drool:

Berg
4th June 2013, 14:22
Just cut into the main power out put wire from the ignition switch, I have fitted 100's of sets of heated grips and always wire them in this way saves the cost of the relay and is simpler.

As for the cut out voltage they all vary, some are worse than others. I have seen sets that turn off at 13 volts and others that flatten batteries just like yours which is why I always recommend to my customers that they wire them through the ignition.
Always wire mine through a relay. Tried direct to the ignition of an Aprilia and it chucked up an error code on the dash. Relayed it and it sorted the problem.

Dave-
4th June 2013, 16:48

It's good practise not to wire a switch in series with a full 12V behind it because you don't usually want the higher power going through the switch. Higher power switches tend to wear faster, cost more, and there's the risk of getting a shock.

So you'd usually wire a lower voltage through a switch to a relay which turns on the higher power to your hot grips with the relay, with this in mind you'd need to splice into the loom, and find 5V, and then add a switch.

A switch can be forgotten about (we're all human) and seeing as you have your 5V right there, you might as well wire it straight on to the relay. You reduce parts and complexity, which lowers costs and increases reliability.

I assume you'd be flicking this switch on and off every single time you turn the key on and off for about half a year? therefore you're flicking this switch as often as you're flicking the key.

A relay is just a simple on/off switch except instead of using your finger to trigger it on and off, you use another power source.

davereid
4th June 2013, 18:19
Always wire mine through a relay. Tried direct to the ignition of an Aprilia and it chucked up an error code on the dash. Relayed it and it sorted the problem.

Yep. You need a relay. Its 4 amps for the hot grips that the man that designed the loom. and the ignition switch, and specified the fuse didn't allow for.

A relay or an independent switch costs $10 and is the correct way to do the job.

SMOKEU
4th June 2013, 18:27
It's good practise not to wire a switch in series with a full 12V behind it because you don't usually want the higher power going through the switch. Higher power switches tend to wear faster, cost more, and there's the risk of getting a shock.

So you'd usually wire a lower voltage through a switch to a relay which turns on the higher power to your hot grips with the relay, with this in mind you'd need to splice into the loom, and find 5V, and then add a switch.

A switch can be forgotten about (we're all human) and seeing as you have your 5V right there, you might as well wire it straight on to the relay. You reduce parts and complexity, which lowers costs and increases reliability.

I assume you'd be flicking this switch on and off every single time you turn the key on and off for about half a year? therefore you're flicking this switch as often as you're flicking the key.

A relay is just a simple on/off switch except instead of using your finger to trigger it on and off, you use another power source.

Now it sounds like my wiring job of connecting the radiator fan straight to the battery (with a fuse close to the battery) on my GSXR is bad. :weep:

davereid
4th June 2013, 18:27
(a) It's good practise not to wire a switch in series with a full 12V behind it because you don't usually want the higher power going through the switch. Higher power switches tend to wear faster, cost more, and there's the risk of getting a shock.

(b) So you'd usually wire a lower voltage through a switch to a relay which turns on the (c) higher power to your hot grips with the relay, with this in mind you'd need to splice into the loom, (d) and find 5V, and then add a switch.

(e) A switch can be forgotten about (we're all human) and seeing as you have your (f) 5V right there, you might as well wire it straight on to the relay. (g) You reduce parts and complexity, which lowers costs and increases reliability.

(h)I assume you'd be flicking this switch on and off every single time you turn the key on and off for about half a year? therefore you're flicking this switch as often as you're flicking the key.

(i)A relay is just a simple on/off switch except instead of using your finger to trigger it on and off, you use another power source.

(a) Yeh (b) nah (c) yeah (d) nah (e)Yeah (f)nah (g)yeah (h)yeah (i)yeah

With any luck the entire electrical system on yer scoot is a nom. 12v... if you find 5v in too many places you had better get a snapper card.

Erelyes
4th June 2013, 18:45
Got hotgrips recently. Didn't get em to install them cos I understand electicky and can wire and solder mahself gawdammit.

Bike shop guy said not to bother wiring through a relay and just do it through the ignition maaaaaate.

I figured

- If I'm dumb and forget to turn em off (entirely likely), is he gonna rescue me? Nup.
- If I run the grips through the ignition switch and the switch burns out (or I melt wires in the loom) will he give it to me for anything less than the cost of a relay? Nup.
- Is a relay expensive, or difficult to tie in? Nup.

Relay = cheap insurance

Dave-
4th June 2013, 19:10
(a) Yeh (b) nah (c) yeah (d) nah (e)Yeah (f)nah (g)yeah (h)yeah (i)yeah

With any luck the entire electrical system on yer scoot is a nom. 12v... if you find 5v in too many places you had better get a snapper card.

Actually yeah I retract my previous 5V claims, few bike will have it, and even then I'm basing my logic on the following:

http://www.tek-tronics.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=129

they claim there's a 5V LED wire, I haven't bothered measuring what the voltage in the LED wire is.

Use any old wire that is high when the ignition is fully on and low when it is switched off, if you have/can find a 5V, check it first, then use it if you want.

Better advice?

russd7
4th June 2013, 19:21
the oxford hot grips i put on the zzr said it was better to wire them directly to the battery and preferred not through the ignition, have had very little prob with them as long as i remember to turn them off
haven't put them on the whisperjet yet

davereid
4th June 2013, 19:24
Use any old wire that is high when the ignition is fully on and low when it is switched off, if you have/can find a 5V, check it first, then use it if you want.Better advice?

Your advice was great.

The issue is current not voltage thats all and I'm in a grumpy picky shitty yeah nah yeah nah yeah nah mood

Wire your hotgrips up via 10 amp cable, with a 10 amp fuse and a relay that turns on with the tail light is the best. Its basically fool proof, the link old cunt err slofox posted is perfect.

scumdog
5th June 2013, 11:47
Now it sounds like my wiring job of connecting the radiator fan straight to the battery (with a fuse close to the battery) on my GSXR is bad. :weep:

A bit crude and yeah, bad...and how do you turn the fan on and off with that set-up?

SMOKEU
5th June 2013, 14:10
A bit crude and yeah, bad...and how do you turn the fan on and off with that set-up?

I drilled a small hole in the right hand fairing with a switch that I can easily flick on/off when I'm in slow traffic to prevent overheating.

nallac
5th June 2013, 14:50
I drilled a small hole in the right hand fairing with a switch that I can easily flick on/off when I'm in slow traffic to prevent overheating.

That sort of set up works good when ya remember to switch it on...... i never could 100% of the time in my Jag....

SMOKEU
5th June 2013, 15:06
That sort of set up works good when ya remember to switch it on...... i never could 100% of the time in my Jag....

I pay close attention to the temperature gauge when I'm riding slowly, and it's hard not to notice all the steam and coolant pissing out if I do forget!

bogan
5th June 2013, 15:18

Ever traced the headlight circuit through an 80s or early 90s era bike? If you think one switch for 12V is bad practice, make sure you never do :bleh: Also, about the only chance you have of getting a shock from a 12V supply is if you lick it.

It's fine electrically (assuming things are rated right), but can't imagine it is the most tidy or practical way of doing things.

JATZ
5th June 2013, 17:47
Was riding in snowy/rainy and sleety conditions (for about 50kms) at the weekend IN MY SUMMER GLOVES! had winter gloves with me but didn't need them....:baby:

I will only postpone a ride when there are newbies attending, and where conditions could be of concern. Always another day :cool:

Actually, I have name for the support group...Grippers of New Zealand Unite (GONZU) :lol:

The saga continues.

Would they not be better to be an "organization" ? :D

FWIW.... the BMW hot grips are factory fitted, work well too

Maha
5th June 2013, 19:40
Would they not be better to be an "organization" ? :D

FWIW.... the BMW hot grips are factory fitted, work well too

GONZU?..no they are one step away from a knitting circle ;)

tristania
5th June 2013, 20:41
GONZU?..no they are one step away from a knitting circle ;)

...Who knit mittens for those without heated grips no doubt :whistle: