PDA

View Full Version : Leg waving?

tuska
14th July 2013, 17:28
just watched moto gp....go Rossi!!! but whats everyone doing the leg waving about slowing into corners about??:blink:

blackdog
14th July 2013, 17:33
I can tell, you're new at this.

Should be an interesting thread until it gets merged with the other seven we've had discussing it.

paturoa
14th July 2013, 17:42
I heard that he had just joined KB and was using the KB (secret) wave.

unstuck
14th July 2013, 17:47
Well, I,d be shitting myself too, and you gotta get rid of it somehow.:Oops:

fridayflash
14th July 2013, 18:07
Well, I,d be shitting myself too, and you gotta get rid of it somehow.:Oops:

is that like having a tenspeed inner tube up your trouser leg so you can take a piss in a crowded concert
without anyone knowing? hehe

unstuck
14th July 2013, 18:09
is that like having a tenspeed inner tube up your trouser leg so you can take a piss in a crowded concert

:lol::lol: Thats the one.:headbang::headbang:

st00ji
14th July 2013, 18:09

i think i have just worked out how to avoid struggling out of my one piece rain suit whenever i want to pee...

blackdog
14th July 2013, 18:12
Inadvertently, you may have just offered the best piece of advice since KB's inception.

st00ji
14th July 2013, 18:13
funnily enough i thought this thread was actually about waving with your leg.

i do it sometimes when passing other bikers who are pretending to be cars when im lanesplitting and dont want to release the throttle.

AllanB
14th July 2013, 18:20
I waved my leg in a kicking motion to a car on my side of the road last weekend......

Lots of talk about the Rossi leg. From G-forces to air resistance helping the cornering.

Personally I think he started doing it to visually distract the riders behind him and now it is used as a blocking technique as it effectively blocks the rider behind stuffing their front wheel into that space.

But I may be wrong as you don't need to ride like that on my Honda .........

Road kill
14th July 2013, 19:33
Some people I've seen started sticking a leg out once they'd crashed a couple of times.
Don't know fully what to make of that.

I've done it just in fucking about an found it steadies things up a bit on the edge but I'm to lazy to have taken it past that an I'm not riding a fuckin' dirt bike anyway.

No offence to dirt bikers.

Drew
14th July 2013, 19:38
Rossi was asked about it a lot when he first started doing it. He said he didn't know why, but that the bike felt better.

The commentators currently think it's about loading the front tyre, but it doesn't wash with me.

BMWST?
14th July 2013, 20:34
i think it just get a bit of weight inside and forward and has the "dont Think about coming up the inside casey" factor

tuska
14th July 2013, 20:47
Rossi was asked about it a lot when he first started doing it. He said he didn't know why, but that the bike felt better.

The commentators currently think it's about loading the front tyre, but it doesn't wash with me.

I agree with you!
surely waving ya leg would grab air and unstabilise the whole plot!

george formby
14th July 2013, 20:50
Inadvertently, you may have just offered the best piece of advice since KB's inception.

:niceone:Ha. I gleaned that nugget from a Spike Milligan book, Rommel. Gunner who? Or some such. That's what they did in the trenches in winter fighting in Italy. Tried it during Scottish winters when I wore a one piece undersuit & one piece over siut. Takes practice to get it just right....:(

Oh, yeah, on topic. Most of what I have herd indicates it makes him a bigger obstacle to pass.

unstuck
14th July 2013, 20:51
:niceone:Ha. I gleaned that nugget from a Spike Milligan book, Rommel. Gunner who? Or some such. That's what they did in the trenches in winter fighting in Italy. Tried it during Scottish winters when I wore a one piece undersuit & one piece over siut. Takes practice to get it just right....:(

Best to place the tube outside of your boots chap.:devil2:

Erelyes
14th July 2013, 20:59
Just read 'Foggy on bikes' and he talked about doing it cos he had cramp...

awa355
14th July 2013, 21:14
I'd put this 'gamesmanship' in the same basket as grunting in tennis. Supposed to put the opposition off. Do the riders do it in practice? or qualifying?

G4L4XY
14th July 2013, 21:21
But I may be wrong as you don't need to ride like that on my Honda .........

You must be riding it wrong. Both my legs are hanging off before I'm out the garage. :headbang:

Genius, give this guy a beer! :drinknsin

i think i have just worked out how to avoid struggling out of my one piece rain suit whenever i want to pee...

Just tell us about the times you didn't get the suit off in time :nya:

george formby
14th July 2013, 21:53

Ah yes, that's the starting point but after a couple of off seat moments due to ice & slush the tube wanders.... Don't do it whilst riding either. The tube nips at the knee, all is well for the first few seconds until the pressure pops it off your old fella. Not good when riding to a date. Cat stranglers & jubilee clips don't work, you need to wear y fronts a size to small. It's a harsh & pungent learning curve.

Best go for a pee before you set off was my conclusion.

rocketman1
16th July 2013, 20:07
If you have ever travelled at 150kmh + , then hang your leg out like he does you will understand how it slow you down.
In fact you only need to stick your knee out to get the effect.
I am not sure why Rossi does it, more to dissuade riders from overtaking up the inside my guess.
Riders sit upright when coming into corners, it does not make any difference at legal road speeds, BUT try it at 200km/hr +, make a huge difference.

Drew
16th July 2013, 21:01
If you have ever travelled at 150kmh + , then hang your leg out like he does you will understand how it slow you down.
I am not sure why Rossi does it, more to dissuade riders from overtaking up the inside my guess.
Riders sit upright when coming into corners, it does not make any difference at legal road speeds, BUT try it at 200km/hr +, make a huge difference.

Yip, I've tried it. On the track no less. Didn't make a difference at all to how fast I came at the corner, so I doubt it's got anything to do with stopping.

BMWST?
16th July 2013, 22:39
I dont think its about stopping its about turning,stabilizing(or a feeling of),and a hafway house of sticking yer foot out

sent from the tag

awa355
17th July 2013, 05:28

So, it's not a technique I really need to develope on my scooter then? :facepalm:

Maha
17th July 2013, 06:55
He is just letting the riders behind know, that there is debris on the road.

rocketman1
17th July 2013, 20:41
Yip, I've tried it. On the track no less. Didn't make a difference at all to how fast I came at the corner, so I doubt it's got anything to do with stopping.

Can't understand that, I have tried it on my GSXR , very aerodynamic it made a difference, on my BMW which is the opposite, no difference, maybe it depends on the aerodynamics, I only know what I know.
Remember these guys on motogp bikes are sticking a leg out at way over 150km/hr , probably 200km/hr, the faster u go the more a leg will effect the speed of your bike.
I have been told that Aprilias will have a higher top end as they are like a few inches narrower in width than say a 4 in line Honda, due solely to the aerodynamics being slicker / narrower.
Talking 315km/hr, at these speeds you have most of the hp taken up by driving into a wall of air.

Drew
17th July 2013, 20:46
Can't understand that, I have tried it on my GSXR , very aerodynamic it made a difference, on my BMW which is the opposite, no difference, maybe it depends on the aerodynamics, I only know what I know.
Remember these guys on motogp bikes are sticking a leg out at way over 150km/hr , probably 200km/hr, the faster u go the more a leg will effect the speed of your bike.
I have been told that Aprilias will have a higher top end as they are like a few inches narrower in width than say a 4 in line Honda, due solely to the aerodynamics being slicker / narrower.
Talking 315km/hr, at these speeds you have most of the hp taken up by driving into a wall of air.Oh I can feel the drag alright, it will be making a slight difference, but not a noticeable one I thought. RF is coming at turn one at Manfield, around 220-230 I would think. Never had a chance to look at the speedo, but since it reads 300 when I broke the timing lights with an average of 254, it doesn't really matter.

I would be more inclined to believe the weight transferal shit the commentators talk about, than the braking effect.

BMWST?
18th July 2013, 16:36
Talking 315km/hr, at these speeds you have most of the hp taken up by driving into a wall of air.

Of which Honda and aprilia do you speak?the motogp hondas are v4s