View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. CDI sorted

The CDI issues have been resolved. The Jaycar cheapies work well - when the correct wires are attached.
    The stator I was using had the high voltage CDI wires cut off and only the lighting circuit wires left. Novice that I am I used those. Wrong. It works on the RGV CDI as that has it's own step up transformer in the unit so it doesn't need the high voltage charge. In fact the RGV stator only has power that will be rectified. I don't know that.
    Anyway, back to the current CDI set up. ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Returning from the Grand Challenge

With the Grand Challenge complete, Monday was a comparatively leisurely affair. Going to bed late the previous evening, missing the usual breakfast affair on Monday morning was an obvious choice. Afterall, with the nice bakery down the road, where's the motivation to get up early?

Up around 9am, packed up, and Toto and I were probably last to leave the holiday park just after 10am. We weren't even going very far, popping down the bakery probably 1km away, where we waited for Toto's ...
  3. FIRST OPPS and Way better bike

Well finished the season by coming off; Finally got the bike to where I am comfortable to ride her, started the last lap... second corner with bike on my arse, rear slick not scrubbed in enough, wet track and sliding we did go - broken rearset and gear changer and dented tank.

I realised tonight I finished in 7th place in my grade. This is the same place I finished in my first year of bucket racing and following year I won the grade. Let's hope it's a good sign.

Mods ...
  4. Car driving skills don't convert to motorcycle road riding skills

You often hear new riders who are experienced car drivers complaining that they have to go through the full licence process to get a motorcycle licence. Their primary argument is that their years of car driving experience transfers across to riding a motorcycle, so they should be able to get to a full licence in a shorter period of time.

My personal opinion is that riding a motorcycle requires a different set of skills to driving a car, and that the dangers experienced riding a motorcycle ...
  5. The Struggle (My 2010 Grand Challenge)

Life is a struggle….and that’s why we divert our attention from the daily grind by taking up sports and hobbies….but sometimes that can be a struggle too! The 24th Grand Challenge (my 5th) was one of those times, but I persevered and finished.

I’ve done relatively little riding over the past year, partly due to weather, but mainly just circumstances because weather isn’t really a problem when one has a good bike and gear. Anyway, over the last year I’ve only done 20,000Kms instead ...
  6. 2010 Grand Challenge

It’s “only” been a 12 month wait since the last one, but the 2010 one was finally here. The plan was to try and finish off any work by mid-afternoon, then pack, load the bike and head down in the early evening. This year, I even have a handy helper, in the form of Toto, who is doing his first. He takes the entire day off, heads down early, and then proceeds to txt me. “Should I take my laptop”, “When are you coming”. I suggest he ask for two rooms near each other, so we can find each other. The ...
  7. Cindi demands TLC

Well, today, I pootled off to Botany Honda to get Cindi serviced. She was booked in for her 6000km service (but I tend to over-run it a little ... this time, only by 300km or so).

Get the usual guff and customer dis-service from the lads in the shop, listened to some alarming South African driving/riding stories from the two saffies there. Wichard was not on talking terms with me since I got Cindi's rubber from another establishment (oh, look - my previous blog post! Fancy that!) ...
  8. AMCC round 1

I'd been waiting to race at Hampton Downs for quite a while now, especially as I've done a few laps on it at track days. Unfortunately things didn't go quite as we wanted for a number of reasons.

I picked up Michael (one of the guys I work with) at 6:30am as he had volunteered to help me out in the pits for the day. He'd never done anything like it before but has always been interested in motor sport.

After a nice quiet drive to Hampton Downs we arrived ...