Blog Comments

Some types of bulbs can't tolerate human oils on them from your hands. It causes uneven heating and cooling, which causes them to blow much quicker.

Because of this I try to fit bulbs using a tissue now, so my fingers never touch the bulb, and then I give it another wipe once it is installed just in case.
    I know what you're saying Gibbo89,

just thinking aloud about the fact that we are restricted to 250cc, but a new driver (and I should have qualified that as anyone under 18 really - many kids really are not mature enough to drive safely) can drive a 4 litre V8.

I know about the insurance - it should make a difference though, if all had to be insured at the time of paying road tax - the cost of the tax should be lower for everyone if this was the case. Bikers would then not be penalised to the same extent as they are now.

I'm not asking to skip the 70k restriction. Just think that it is more dangerous to do 70 than 85 on sh1, even through kapiti, as drivers come up so fast that they don't realise the speed you're doing. at 85 or so, you have a bit more of a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibbo89
    firstly, a 15 year old in a car has exactly the same restrictions as a learner motorbike rider. the only difference is that they have to have a parent with them. i have had my car license for a few years now and am also stuck with the restrictions of a learner rider. but i take my l plate off for a weekend ride around the backroads etc. i avoid having to drive between 10pm and 5am. but i have to then i will do it.

regarding insurance, you can drive your vehicle without it being insured, if a non insured person runs your bike over then they will end up paying a pittence each week to pay off their debts (if they cant afford to pay for your repairs).

someone can clear these things up for you if i have got anything wrong.

i dont think a mature rider can skip the 70 k speed limit, unless you wrote to ltsa or whatever it is and tried to plead your case and try get some form of exemption if you have to go on the motorway to work everyday etc.

if that fails. remove your l plate when u will break the law...
    Quote Originally Posted by gijoe1313
    The words I wish to throw at Gremlin are not fit to print.
    The words I wish to throw at Gremlin are not fit to print.
    Once again, another fine mess I find myself in with Gremlin, he's done all the hard yards yakking. All I can say is that those bloody bulbs cost me 35 demerits!

Was riding up to meet Gremlin and I was having the usual conversation with myself ... against my intuition, I basically convinced myself to ride straight up the moronway and take my time. Well this I did, until I got to the uphill section towards Orewa, thinking I had slowed down, I opened the throttle ... just in time for the nice popo hiding around the bend to tag me! :slap:

Ah well, like they say, no good deed goes unpunished - doubly so whenever Gremlin is involved! I guess the two of us are doomed to forever goad and delight in each other's destruction. I fear we are going to do this until one of us eventually relents and gives up biking!

Anyhow, this tale doesn't stop there.

The next day, Gremlin arrives (late) to my place to help sort out my Scottoiler. He had laughed at me for laughing at him for running out of oil at BK in Whangarei. I was like "shite!"

Anyhow, waiting for ages - I had set up a chair and was snacking on chips and reading a comic when he putt putts up. Well, as he started to fill up the Scottoiler in Cindi (my CB1000R predator) - he goes and splurts a whole crap load over my shirt. The shirt I was meant to go out on a date in.

I. Can't. Believe. It.

He's gone and done it to me again!

So inside, new shirt, dunk oiled shirt into soak and back out to sort out the refilling. Which, somehow manages to be done without anymore snafus.

Then we went to sort out headlights and this was almost as farcical as the filling of the Scottoiler. Somehow Gremlin managed to break the light that was working when he got back to Auckland! So fooling around with my lights also, we replaced mine with a +50% - this was a good thing, since it was the first time I had to remove the cover off to see how it went.

We both oohed and aahed over the nifty new bulb collar that secures it into the mounting. Of course I forgot to put on the dust cover when I had almost done everything up!

Anyhow - my Cindi and Gremlin's Katie now have new lights and topped up oilers. Job's a good 'un.

Oh yes, will keep a big stick nearby to thump Gremlin with next time he does the next stupid thing! (And trust me, I know this will happen).
    Yeah, what the big boy on the katoom said - he also forgot to mention how I took over the lead from Miranda and I was constantly waiting for the lad's lights to appear. Seems Gremlin was doing his sheperding thing and had TOTO in the middle of us.

So TOTO must have been getting a bit drowsy, and we know that it is akin to being a little drunk on a bike. So good to see that he took it at his pace. I did prod TOTO about it when it came to the GC ... seems more training is required!
    firstly, a 15 year old in a car has exactly the same restrictions as a learner motorbike rider. the only difference is that they have to have a parent with them. i have had my car license for a few years now and am also stuck with the restrictions of a learner rider. but i take my l plate off for a weekend ride around the backroads etc. i avoid having to drive between 10pm and 5am. but i have to then i will do it.

regarding insurance, you can drive your vehicle without it being insured, if a non insured person runs your bike over then they will end up paying a pittence each week to pay off their debts (if they cant afford to pay for your repairs).

someone can clear these things up for you if i have got anything wrong.

i dont think a mature rider can skip the 70 k speed limit, unless you wrote to ltsa or whatever it is and tried to plead your case and try get some form of exemption if you have to go on the motorway to work everyday etc.

if that fails. remove your l plate when u will break the law...
    wind was pretty strong this morning - leant over at about 60degrees just to keep going in a straight line - fun in a way though
    Hi Tenpole - cheers for the support. adding you now!

Quote Originally Posted by Tenpole
    Hi

Weve all been there or at least those that have bothered, I did the same thing and came here from UK and then decided to get a bike again so no worries totally understand. Look on the brightside it does not take long to get a full license.

Located in Kapiti also in Reikorangi.

Best regards
    Tenpole
    Hi

Weve all been there or at least those that have bothered, I did the same thing and came here from UK and then decided to get a bike again so no worries totally understand. Look on the brightside it does not take long to get a full license.

Located in Kapiti also in Reikorangi.

Best regards
    Tenpole
    Thanks. I've heard they're dead simple and after poking around the bike for a while it's an accurate statement. A hard tail, aircool single is almost as simple as it gets. Can't wait to get it running and take it out for a run. It'll be interesting getting used to a right side gear shift but that should only take a couple of laps to become second nature.
    The B31/33 series is a very basic and strong motor. Plenty of manuals around too. All motor bits including upgrades available. From what I can see it wouldn't be impossible to get it up to WOF std. Even if you've got to power the lights from the battery.
    I've owned & built a number of these and they're dead simple - if the standard pom could maintain one they're obviously not hard.
    I have wankers doing that to me all the time. Once you pull up next to them and give the evils they never want to look back for some reason.
    New seat just been fitted, still need some parts for the front end, brake cable and brake shoes

[IMG][/IMG]
    It must be nearly time to trade up to that FJR1300 you've always secretly dreamed of...
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownbabe
    Ok, here's a question...have YOU ever done wheelies?...not so easy to find dirtbikes to bang around here, nothing under 1000 dollars...that's alot to pay for a practice bike. The bikers here are more or less in large groups...mostly men, or I see couples here and there. Mostly loners. So its not so easy to find someone to teache me either.
    , $1000 Is a lot to pay for practise but in learning you get it wrong on your road bike on the tarseal not only will your bike turn to shite but you also may not be looking good..

The 'first time' your bike goes in the air I wish you the best,! now first bit of good information, make sure you have the front wheel straight when you are come back to earth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aryaeil
    Amen to wheelies. my introduction came when I lined up my brothers Yamaha XJ600 on my old Honda NV400. Stuck its nose in the air and stayed there. Brother was so impressed he forgot to let out the clutch! Having more torque than horsepower helps I think :P
    Amen Amen...I'd like to say that...just once in my life that hey I DID IT!
    Quote Originally Posted by duckonin
    It's a bike both wheels are meant to be on the ground.. Find a dirt bike and a paddock go learn in there... most of all when it does go UP do not panic and do not open the throttle wide as the bike may well come over backwards on you....Be carefull.
    Ok, here's a question...have YOU ever done wheelies?...not so easy to find dirtbikes to bang around here, nothing under 1000 dollars...that's alot to pay for a practice bike. The bikers here are more or less in large groups...mostly men, or I see couples here and there. Mostly loners. So its not so easy to find someone to teache me either.
    Amen to wheelies. my introduction came when I lined up my brothers Yamaha XJ600 on my old Honda NV400. Stuck its nose in the air and stayed there. Brother was so impressed he forgot to let out the clutch! Having more torque than horsepower helps I think :P
    It's a bike both wheels are meant to be on the ground.. Find a dirt bike and a paddock go learn in there... most of all when it does go UP do not panic and do not open the throttle wide as the bike may well come over backwards on you....Be carefull.
Page 90 of 138 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100 ... LastLast