Blog Comments

don't agree...
    80% of attention used on riding the bike, 20% on what's happening on the road... where did you come up with with these numbers?
    I'm not saying an L-plate is a target for cagers, I never experienced anything bad when I had the L-plate attached.
    I took it off because I want to do a 100km on the motorway, which is a lot safer in my opinion than doing 70km while all other traffic is doing a 100. You will be holding cars and trucks up, who will get irritated with you, want to overtake you and do so with every opportunity they get, even if it might be a dangerous opportunity.
    Furthermore, if you do a 100 while wearing the L-plate, you make it incredibly easy for cops to give you a fine for doing 30km over the speedlimit..
    So, I don't wear an "L"plate, don't do anything stupid to attract attention of police.. and happily doing a 100 on the motorway. Although I might be biased. I rode the car quite frequently for 3 years before getting on a motorcycle, so situational awareness is already something I have developed. I commute the bike and ride with every possible opportunity I get which resulted in me having ridden more than 5000km in just short of 5 months..
    Fuck off. Go and put an L plate on. I did it for shits and giggles and I got tailgated by a Pajero most of the way home.
    Good shit
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbo89
    a few things i would add is that the speed restriction is 70km per hour, not 80 as mentioned above.
    Thanks for the correction. I will update the blog article.
    well thought out p dath.

a few things i would add is that the speed restriction is 70km per hour, not 80 as mentioned above. so 30km per hour can be quite dangerous at times, but as a learner at the moment i avoid any long straight 100km per hour roads, twisty ones are all good.

something i think i have found handy was i rode scooters for a few years first before i stepped up to a 250cc. so in regards to the "only 20% left to concentrate on the road" comment, scooters were very useful, as they just run full throttle 95% of the time and of course have no gears. i think that has held me in good stead for when i moved up to a bigger bike.
    p.dath has hit the nail square on the head with this post.

I also think the "cars pick on L plates" thing can grow excessively if the rider doesn't find some balance between what they perceive is happening to what is really happening. I found myself falling into that trap, all it did was steepen my learning curve.
    What an awesome write up.
    great write up
    You're being taken advantage of, dude.

Mine knew, without a shadow of a doubt that the day after they left school they'd be paying board. Lots of it.

I didn't have 'em out of the goodness of my heart, says I ( advice of which they were utterly convinced ) but to support me in my ridiculously extravagant dotage. They were to look upon themselves as a somewhat high-maintenance crop, with correspondingly high return.

Time for a bit of pruning mate, change the locks.
    My VTR I did a Bafflectomy but I only did the first chamber... was 95db and had no problem getting a WoF but every place is different.

I have heard of guys taking more out and even drilling holes to the next chamber, then it starts to cause issues...

Mine sounded ok... however it did need the carbs to be retuned since I had the dyno kit and power commander thingy and had been rejeted etc...

I didn't gain or loose any power just gave the deep Vtwin rumble... anyway sound is a personally thing what you like others won't and what they like you probably won't...
    For sure, only way is up & lookin at a few options on the home front to help with rent etc, least i can still ride.
    Gota stay positive all the way. Cheers mate & hope you & your bike werent too broken after the bin
    Mate,
    Just been through the same sort of thing. Shite on the home front, shafted in my job and then binned off the bike. Had a moment of clarity when I realised that life is a big picture and you have to grab that.
    Bottom line my mate, dont let the bastards drag you down, after all you are a fecking biker
    What you need to do is coax them out of the house in the pretence that they are goingto be doing something nice.

Buy them a plane ticket and let them do an OE in the UK. it may sound like a paid hliday for them , but there's nothing like living on the bones of your ass for a while to make you realise that you want a high paying job at some stage of your life.

also, once they have tasted freedom, it horrible to have to go and live with your folks again.

The bad side is that they may stay there for a looooong time...
    Why not do as me and the missus did --- upped sticks and moved to the other side of the world -- we've left them behind in the UK !!!
    One with his own flat and (relatively) low paid job, the other at university studying MOTORCYCLE ENGINEERING :-D
    Hey guys. Grab a copy of this book and read it.
    http://www.goldfishwisdom.co.nz/?t=54

I've just read it and learned quite a bit. If only I had done this with a prior relationship...

Very well presented and from a kiwi point of view, so very high on the relevance scale.
    hahaha, I remember when mine were little (under age 5) and people would tell me "don't worry, it gets easier once they're older". Liars, the lot of 'em!!! They became even more time consuming, and current problems would go away, but others would take their place! It didn't seem fair!
    Having said that, I wouldn't be without either of them (as I'm sure you wouldn't be without any of yours) and while they can still frustrate the bejeebies out of me at times (they're 18 and 20) I am thankful for how they have turned out. Coulda been soooooo much worse!

Just think, their day will come when they go through it all themselves and you can smile smugly..... well that's the theory anyway
    At what age are you expecting them to be capable of making their own way?

At what age are they expecting to make their own way?

If my boys are still at home at 18 they are getting marched to the front gate and will be getting a boot up the backside.
    I am reeling a bit at the moment, phone calls from siblings calling cancer and putting mothers in rest homes kinda do that. I have advice for you, stand by, I need to numb my pain first
    Mate I feel your pain. I've got that to "look forward to" with my guys
    I agree with Bald Eagle, and I'm their age myself. I see a number of people from school in the same position as them and tbh can't see them changing anytime soon. My family has always had the rule that unless you are studying, you have to pay board and it's a way to encourage us kids to go on to further education or get our a into g and get a proper job
Page 94 of 138 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596104 ... LastLast