UCI Rest of the World Singlespeed Champs

1. idleidolidyll
    idleidolidyll
    http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/group.php?groupid=111

My rear hub collapsed on the 29er singlespeed a couple of days before the event.
    I didn't have time to fix it so wifey and I loaded up the BMW and went to spectate.
    I took my camera and shot the above pics. Took lots more too and they can be seen on the Rotovegas singlespeed site.
    I logged in, got my transponder, did one lap (i walked through the finish) and got my DNF with number plate.

As always, the singlespeeds had some tricks up their sleeves. Not only was there a beer lap / weetbix shortcut; at the start they sent all the riders up a hill and around a corner from where the bikes were. It was gonna be a running start as per last year.
    However, little did the riders know, once they were out of sight, the spectators and organisers MOVED ALL THEIR BIKES, EVEN HID SOME!
    The confusion was hilarious.

Best costume was a woman in 1800's period costume and she was on a classic fixed gear singlespeed with a wicker basket on front.
    Next two places went to Afroman and the Haggis Eater (joint 2nd place).

Great event, great party afterward too at the Pig and Whistle.
    At one point the 2nd place getter in the class I had entered (Old Bastards Class) didn't claim his prize so it was left open to the crowd. I was first to get dibs and even though I didn't even start the race, claimed 2nd place!

Both man and woman 1st place getters had to receive the official tattoo or relinquish 1st place to the next past the line. Both accepted the tattoo; a nice chainring with wings and the ladies winner was particularly keen as she won last year too and now has two tattoos!

excellent event, I'll race next year.
  2. Matt Bleck
    Matt Bleck
    Sounds like a hoot!

Great write up and pics mate!!!