Should the Tags be done in a Normal Thread or the current Discussion Thread?

1. Gremlin
    Gremlin
    Ok, so a bit of a Poll.

Its been discussed under rules but nothing was really noted, but ideally, each person posts in here once, with their vote, so they can be tallied easily.

Do you want the tags to be done in a normal thread (could use the existing) like Wellington etc, or keep it in the current format, inside the group. Majority rules, but I guess I'm digging up the topic because I prefer it in a thread.

Pros of a normal thread:
    - Easy for anyone to see, possibly attract more players
    - Easier for people to find and participate in. I have helped several people find the Tag Group because they didn't know where it was, or how to access it easily, without finding the thread, and the link within.
    - Easier to post pictures. Simply make them an attachment, without having to post it online somewhere, or in your albums, or in the group pictures, then link them in your post.
    - This follows on from the previous point, its easier to post from less conventional devices, ie mobiles. I simply can't embed a pic within a discussion post, technology limitations. I can't copy the url with tags. I can upload a pic as an attachment in a normal post.
    - Same setup as the other tag locations. Some people, in Auckland, don't even know this exists (and they like riding etc and have heard of the other locations).

Cons:
    - Groups were probably designed for this sort of thing, but complex to navigate
    - If multiple discussions are active (ie, this poll, rules, and the actual game) its not collected together, unless we asked for a sub-forum (and got it).

Cast your vote!
  2. Mystic13
    Mystic13
    1 vote for stay in the group. (but not too fussed with my new mobile coming) I can't post from my mobile.

The only problem I can see Gremlin is that some will be able to post into a thread from their mobile. As an example that would make the time to post the Bridal Veil Falls pic about 2 1/2 hours for you and 5 for me.

Yes the thread in the meeting and events is easier for others to see and post in but what some of us have been doing is updating that as well from time to time. For me it was with the idea of having more people see it.

We can't easily ban mobile pics because the mobile cameras are so damned good.

So my vote is stay in the group unless you can show me how we can stop those with flash mobiles gaining an unfair advantage.

Or do most of you folks have mobiles that you can post from in which case maybe it's fine. Please answer the mobile question as you post. Cheers.

(Having said that I'm getting a new mobile in the next week or two so I'll make sure I can post pics with it. In which case posting in a thread would be fine.)

Can we not just continue to talk about it in the other threads as a means of letting people know?
  3. Magua
    Magua
    +1 for the status quo. It works, no need to change it.
  4. 1vanvan1
    1vanvan1
    +1 for staying here - Just need to keep the thread in General alive to get new players - Now everyone knows how to get their pictures up its easier.
  5. Gremlin
    Gremlin
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystic13
    So my vote is stay in the group unless you can show me how we can stop those with flash mobiles gaining an unfair advantage.
    Stop them?!?! I liked my unfair advantage!

Oh well, unless the votes drastically changed, the status quo is barely challenged.
  6. Sharry
    Sharry
    +1 for stayaing here on the grounds that this is about riding not latetest technology, unless it's on ya bike.
    No prob with talking in other threads and putting in a link to this one, that is after all how I found it.
  7. TOTO
    TOTO
    NORMAL thread - more people can see the pics straight away and therefore join in.
  8. motorbyclist
    motorbyclist
    not fussed:

the group is great

but, social groups are bloody difficult things to operate. why they can't work like a normal subforum is beyond me

and phones are as much an advantage as living near the tag anyway. doubt mine is up to the task and don't want to even consider the charges it would entail. getting home with the tag is half the challenge!
  9. MarkH
    MarkH
    I vote for a normal thread:

Easier to post pics.
    Easier to go to first unread.
    Easier to quote.
  10. motorbyclist
    motorbyclist
    there IS a goto first unread button btw

but pic posting and such would be good...

I might propose a new Subforum: Tags
    have a sticky for each region tag thread (or split further into subsubforums)
  11. Qkchk
    Qkchk:Me
    It is harder to refer to the social group rather than a thread....

Any further thoughts on this?