Emails sent by me to Volunteers

1. Ms Piggy
    Ms Piggy
    Hi All! Again let me say a big THANK YOU for making yourselves available.

Sorry this email is so long but I have a few points I want cover before we meet Monday.

We have 29 marshal volunteers (out of that 4 people that volunteered haven't replied to emails since the last meeting). We will also be able to get some assistance via Ulysses members that John has been following up for us - thanks John!

ARRIVAL TIME AT PARLIAMENT: Unless you're a marshal leader we ask that your arrival time be 10am please. All marshals to convene at the Seddon Staue (only statue on the grounds).

MARSHAL LEADERS: I've thought it would be practical and helpful to have some of you as leaders on the day. Leaders need to be at Parliament by 9am on Tuesday to be part of the briefing (Dee I know you can't make that). Leaders are: Karleen (overall Parliament leader), Bryce (aka _STAIN_), Dee (aka Foxzee), Iain (aka Mr CSL), Kenny (aka Hawkeye) and Pierre (aka Cloggy). You'll need to make yourselves known at the meeting on Monday night (Kenny I know you can't make it).

I haven't had emails back from a couple of people that I approached to be leaders - so please contact me if you're available.

POLICE LIAISON: This is Ken Samson. Thanks Ken!

BIKEOI IDENTITY CARDS: I've made these, they're basic (laminated & attached with a safety pin) but will help I think. We'll also have the high vis vests - Andy is dropping them off to me (I think) and I'll bring them Monday night.

NO PARKING SIGNS: I've printed off some A4 notices and some small notices to hand to riders who try to park there. I think if we marshal this area well it won't be a big issue anyway and at the end of the day we actually can't stop people only give them a friendly warning.

MAPS: I've photocopied 15 maps of parliament and streets surrounding, I'll mark the entrances on them to hand out on Monday night.

Discussion point for Monday: I had a look today and there are actually 7 possible entrance ways - 5 gates (2 big gates, 3 small gates), a stairway (near the Cenotaph) and an alleyway down the Bowen Street side (starts by the top of the stairs).

STADIUM MARSHALS: Discussion point for Monday: it's been pointed out to me that while it would be good if we could have swapping of crews for the stadium it may not be practical.

LOOKING AFTER YOURSELVES:
    You awesome lot will be there for the longest of most of the people attending. Make sure you have liquid refreshments and food for yourself. Don't forget sun-block either! And dress warmly (obvious I' know but standing around you'll get cold).

OUR ROLE:
    We are not security guards or bouncers. We're marshals;
    we're there to welcome
    and guide people.

MONDAY MEETING AGENDA: (Please email me with other items if you wish)

1. Establish clear role for all marshals - define specific roles for leaders.
    2. Placement of marshals at strategic points - who goes where and when?
    3. Stadium marshals - discussion around if they can or cannot be relieved to attend Parliament.
    4. How to handle aggressive behaviour - can someone who has experience talk to this?

Lastly I'd like to acknowledge my boss (Barb) she is totally on our side and has allowed me to use work resources to make up the signs, i.d tags etc. She's also letting me attend the BIKEOI and not expecting me to make the time up - how cool is that!!
  2. Ms Piggy
    Ms Piggy
    Sorry all - 1 thing I omitted in my original novella type email:

WALKIE TALKIES: the wonderful Grant (325rocket) has organised 10 walkie talkies for the day! Thanks mate!! Grant I assume you'll be able to talk a little about this at Monday night's meeting?

HIGH VIS VESTS: AJ has confirmed he'll be dropping the high vis vests off to me - Iain (Mr CSL) is willing to be responsible for collecting them at the end of the day. The vests are being loaned to us by the VIC Club so we need to make sure they are all returned.

VOLUNTEERS: I had a few more people contact me so we have 28 (excluding the 4 I haven't heard back from). Thanks everyone!! I'll also update the KBer thread to invite others along to the meeting that are willing to be marshals.
  3. Ms Piggy
    Ms Piggy
    Hi All,
    I know a few of you won't read all the messages I've sent until Monday when you arrive at work and see I've filled up your Inbox!

Just letting you know that I am in meetings all day Monday at work so won't get an opportunity to check emails until about 5:30pm when I arrive home and collapse on the couch before heading out to the 7pm meeting to see all your lovely shinning faces.

So: if you have anything to discuss bring it along to the meeting and if you can't attend the meeting then by all means email me and I can put it on the agenda.

I will be sending out a final email after the Monday night meeting.