GSXR Owners

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
  1. all4A50s
    all4A50s
    Can anyone tell me where I can get valves for a 84 GSXR400 from? I fear I'm going to need some soon and I'd prefer if at all possible to install new ones over donor engine ones. I have tried Suzuki (no longer available) and the rest of the usual looking places but to no avail.
  2. slowpoke
    slowpoke
    Hey yall, I've just picked up this here new fangled k7 gixxer thou' and I'm after a few impressions/solutions.

My good lady had a K2 gixxer thou' many moons ago and my one overriding memory of that thing is just the colossal grunt from anywhere in the rev range. My 954 'blade was lighter, stopped and handled better but wasn't in the same league motor-wise.

They made way for a race prepped '00 R1 that was virtually a combination of the two: 'blade size/handling with gixxer type power. The plan was that I could use it on the track and she could use it on the road. Fast forward to now and I've got a CBR1000RR track bike and recently managed to write off the R1 which had been semi-retired to road duties.

As a replacement I've picked up the K7....and it's been an interesting exercise: handling, brakes agility etc are great for a stock bike. But the power delivery is almost the complete opposite of that early gixxer. Sure, there's heaps of it but it's delivered in a 600-like fashion. The old R1, admittedly well modified, would've killed it anywhere under 8k rpm.

As it's only gonna be used as a road bike I'm trying to think of ways to make it more fun and responsive at sub-sonic revs/speed. Yeah, yeah a K5/6 probably woulda been a better idea but I screwed up, ok?

Anyway, it's already got a yoshi slip on, PC111, TRE and a 1 tooth smaller front sprocket. I'm thinking another couple of teeth on the rear sprocket and a quick turn throttle would help things. After my race bike the stock throttle just seems to be waaay long in it's action. From memory I think the old quick turn trick for these things used to be fitting an R1 throttle tube (which I just happen to have, sigh), does anyone know if that's still the case?
  3. Cajun
    Cajun
    quick turn throttle - yes still the r1 mod that gives you a 1/5, or the next step is put on an r6(new stubby exhaust shape) which gives you a 1/6. I got an r1 got an r6 to install.

the k1-k4 gsxr were alot better (agressive) in the motor compared to the later models, they made them a bit smooth/linear. your old r1 might feel like it would be faster, but you most likey be due to being more aggressive.

I would suggust getting your bike on the dyno and see how the map is, even if its just a base run. to see if it is tuned correctly, Since the k7 should murder the r1, since the gsxr stock should have a good 20-25hp on top of it.
  4. slowpoke
    slowpoke
    Thanks Cajun! Yep, I had a K4/5 for a day a few years back and I liked the fact that it didn't feel quite as bulky as the K1/2 and still had a great real world power curve.

My '00 R1 had cams, headwork, increased compression, lightened crank, ram air etc and after being set up on Welly M/C dyno made exactly the same top end power as a K5/6 gixxer thou' with PC111 and slip on but at 11k rpm instead of 12k. From all reports the K7/8 sacrfices even more mid range to feed the admittedly killer top end hence I reckon the K5/6 is a better real world engine and even the old R1 would have the wood on it through the mid range.

As you mention though, the big gixxer is amazingly smooth and perfectly tractable.....it's just not a lot of fun away from the track unless you have got some big numbers up on the tacho. I mean you've gotta try hard to power wheelie the thing, what's up with that, LOL?! That's prolly as much down to improved geometry etc as lack of low down grunt so while it's an improvement in theory it makes for fewer smiles too.

I've stretched my good lady's patience and checkbook to the limit with this thing so I'll bide my time for the moment, but once I've squirrelled enough cash away I'll definitely strap it on the dyno and see where it's at.
  5. dipshit
    dipshit
    I once owned an 85 GSXR750 back in the late 80s early 90s that i put many miles on and had reasonable success club and street racing. I also got to ride a slightly later (86 or 87) GSXR750 ex endurance race bike from Canada that Stuart Murdoch had owned for a short while. I went to a RZ500 after the Suzuki... but the 750 has been an old favourite ever since.

Now a few years later getting back into bikes... i have been won over by a GSXR again, and the little 600 looks set to become a new favourite!
  6. madbikeboy
    madbikeboy
    I had the urge to talk GSXR for a while. The others just don't understand...

I have a k2 1000 with some sensible mods care of Pops Yoshimura and an understanding bank manager. I have a k5 600 track bike. Owned others over the years ranging from 750 to 1300. I like the k2 thou the best, I'm too old for this contortionist thing that seems to be happening of late, the k9 1000 feels small to me - it's smaller than old school 600's. I'll get a k10 most likely (next year...), the BPF makes sense to me, even if the bike is going to get misplaced lots in the garage due to it's small size. I've ridden all sorts of stuff as an alternative in the last 18 months, ZX10R's (horrid front end and no low poke), 1098 (pretty), R1 (ugly), and as for the latest blades - did the designer do it with his eyes closed??

So, another thou it is. Unless MadBikeBabe starts dropping sprogs, in which case I'll have two track bikes, a k2 1000 and a k5 600...

(I have an old Honda as well).
  7. MsKABC
    MsKABC
    Hi Just brought my new GSXR750 home yesterday. I managed to refrain from sleeping in the garage with it. No personalisation or bling yet - needs a tail tidy at the very least. See profile for a pic. See you around
  8. Cajun
    Cajun
    nice one mskabc the 750 is one of the best real world bikes around.

your love it
  9. SixPackBack
    SixPackBack
    THE nicest motorcycle I have ever ridden was a 06' black and yellow GSXR750, That is without bias and after riding just about every late model sports bike. The 750 is a vastly underated secret and I hope you enjoy yours Msabc.
  10. MsKABC
    MsKABC
    Thanks fellas - I rode to Coromandel Town and back yesterday and although I was sore everywhere from 5 hours in the saddle, I was grinning from ear to ear. I love that bike and I'm so glad I bought it. Even without having the suspension altered for my massive 55kg weight, it was still an absolute pleasure to ride. It will be interesting to see what difference it makes. It was so planted, stable and nimble. I absolutely love the extra power
  11. Cajun
    Cajun
    they the are designed for lightweight people 50-65ish kgs really, but a good tweak always goes good.

I was up that way myself yesterday. on my yellow 600.
  12. StoneY
    StoneY
    Wel my fisrt GSX was not an R series, but in all I have owned 5 GixxeRs of which 2 have been GSXR 1100 L's

Love my GixxeR, no matter how many time I swap my ducati for another Ducati the GSXR will remain in my stable (probly give to my grandkids one day)

She needs new chain n sprock's, rebuild rear shock, maybe new steering bearings and new swingarm bushes but man shes still awesome to ride even in this state!

Never known any bike to out accelerate them (yet) and they still lok so bunty and mean, crouched and poised to attack (like Chuck Norris picture on his TAX return, [hes never paid any])

Amazed it took this long for me to find the group lol

13. jamessmith
    jamessmith
    First bike ive ever owned and ridden is my 1100j.. hehe.. and itl will be burried next to me.
  14. Toaster
    Toaster
    Yep, they sure know how to make a fast accelerating bike!
  15. specter
    specter
    my first (non 250) bike is my k7 gsxr750 in blue and black. i have a few subtle mods in mind but sourcing the parts that i want specifically is holding me back a bit
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678