The gravel...

1. banditrider
    banditrider
    Considering the compass flyer or some other attempt at a flyer (unless weather looks crap then I'll wuss out and stick to the basic 2,000km) but what is the gravel like? I have been out to Cape Farewell a couple of times and know that the gravel's ok out to there.

Want to bring the Connie, not the DL....
  2. FJRider
    FJRider
    I can do the compass on an FJ .....
  3. LBD
    LBD
    Actually I may have a wee peek up to lake Hauroko Labour weekend....
  4. Gremlin
    Gremlin
    I see a nice adventure tourer in your future banditrider
  5. banditrider
    banditrider
    Not afraid of gravel but maybe not too keen if it's going to add heaps of time to a ride like this. Need to sit down and have a really good look at maps etc...
  6. FJRider
    FJRider
    The Hauroko road is fairly well used by all manner of vehicles ... it's been a while since I was in there ... I may have a peek at it too ...
  7. LBD
    LBD
    I was in there two months ago by car....I would have looked at it closer if I new it was part of the TT.

From memory it was narrow, a lot of camber in places and fairly loose....but I have been wrong before...
  8. FJRider
    FJRider
    It would depend on how long since the grader went through ... summer may see them more often.
  9. Gremlin
    Gremlin
    I'll certainly put my hand up for hating freshly graded gravel... come across it twice so far. First was rather diabolical, the second I failed to get up the road, sinking into the soft stuff...
  10. FJRider
    FJRider
    I dont like it either .... a bit like riding on ball bearings ... a week after is good.
  11. KoroJ
    KoroJ
    I get the impression you guys are just saying all the nice things about 'loose shit' to piss me off, get me to throw my toys out of the cot, start sulking and not sign up for your crappy ride?!

.......bastards! .......and as for that Mike & Robert Hyde!
  12. LBD
    LBD
    My sentiments last year on the VFR.... may be a suggestion for next year would be to ensure a bonus similar to Compass points is more accessable to all bikes...Milford...Bluff hill...Karamea and Oyster bay....but then....(other than in the interests of fair play) I do not really care much anymore, the MTS is a hoot on the gravel.
  13. FJRider
    FJRider
    I may fit DUEL PURPOSE tyres to the FJ ... mmmmmmmm ...