Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ok, What bike to learn on?

Bike
    2010 Triumph Sprint ST

Ok, What bike to learn on?

My wife,having been riding on the back of my bike for about 18 months, has decided to get her license. The challenge i have is what bike.
    Initially i was looking at the GN250 for her but reckon she would soon grow tired of it. My attention is now drawn to the Honda Hornet 250, she has actually sat on one and she says the riding position and height are really good. At the same time she sat on a CBF 250 but found that a bit highter in the seat (although specs say they are the same height).

My preference is for the Hornet but a friend (or 2) reckon it would be too powerful and she might lose confidence on it

So my second choice would be between the GN and CBF. Both single bangers but from reviews it apears the CBF has a bit more pep (albeit a couple of grand more expensive). At the end of the day i would like her to have a bike she could enjoy for the full learner/restricted period.

So, i guess my questions are

1. Is the Hornet a good learners bike? has anyone found it too powerful for learners?

2. Does the CBF have that much more grunt than the GN?

3. What are your thoughts re learners bike?

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    IMO the bike she feels most comfortable on is the best one to get; otherwise it will all be your fault if anything goes wrong.

There is no such thing as 'too powerful' on a 250cc. All bikes are too powerful if you ride them inappropriately and having that extra bit of power for hill starts and overtaking is a big plus.

Plus she has sat on the back and seen how a big bike rides, so she should have a good idea of how to handle it.

Unless your wife is an imature 15 year old child bride, get the Hornet.

Y.D.

P.S. If your wife is an imature 15 year old child bride..............
    “PHEW.....JUST MADE IT............................. UP"

Bike
    Goose
    I wrote my brand new GN250 off just so that I could get a 150 2smoker... Well, I do tell a lie, it really wasnt "on purpose" but I digress, get a 150 2 stroke. Everyone tells me that 4 strokes are much easier to ride but I seriously think that I learnt much more from my KR than I ever did with the GN250. A fews years and a few bikes have passed and I now use an FXR150 as my bucket racer/ commuter bike and reckon that it too would be a perfect learners bike. You need to sit on a few and find one that you feel comfortable on and TBH, the GN is a great learners bike if you do want to go down that path...

Good luck!
    "Some people are like clouds, once they fuck off, it's a great day!"

Bike
    HONDA CBR 250 RR, 2008 250 Kawasaki Ni.
    The Hornet sounds like the bike for your wife as she has already told you how comfortable she feels on it and how the height suits her and that is very important when learning to ride. It will only go as fast as she makes it go, and once she has built up her confidence and has been riding for a few years then she will gradually move up to bigger and more powerful bike.
    My first bike was a LTD Kawasaki 250 and I thought that was a great bike to start of on. Any chance she can have a ride on 1 to see if she likes the way it handles on the road?.

Bike
    2010 Triumph Sprint ST

yep the 2 strokes are fun

I hear what you say, i actually learnt on a suzuki RG150 2 stroke and it was great fun. and it could go, i'm not small (about 95kgs) and i often got it to about 120 0n trips. even went out with my mates a few times, gotta say they hated following me as they didn't like the taste of oil lol.

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    If you were asking for alternative opinions, I'd be pointing you towards a VTR250. They are very forgiving for a learner, low seat height, comfortable semi-sporty ride position and being a v-twin with all the torque of a single but extra HP, they are fast/powerful enough that they do not become boring.
    Last edited by MSTRS; 1st June 2009 at 12:57.
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    07 ZX6
    Quote Originally Posted by MSTRS View Post
    If you were asking for alternative opinions, I'd be pointing you towards a VTR250. They are very forgiving for a learner, low seat height, comfortable semi-sporty ride position and being a v-twin with all the torque of a single but extra HP, they are fast/powerful enough that they do not become boring.

i learnt to ride on a beatn up GN125, i loved it beacuse i didnt care if i crashed it ect. it wasnt expensive it was reliable and i was confordent because i didnt worry about smashing it up then i moved to a 250 ninja, that lasted 6 weeks and it got written off because i lady pulled out infrunt of me now i have a ZX6..

Everything under 250CC gets boreing quite quick but it has to be done

Bike
    2012 Striple
    Blog Entries
    As someone who has just learnt and changed bikes three times in twelve months - get one that fits, feels comfy and that you can sit on and wheel about on confidently, and push around with confidence too. For me it is lots about being able to reach the ground. I now have a 250 zeal and it is perfect, I had a bandit and although it was the same weight I really struggled.
    The more confident you feel before the key is turned on helps!
    yeehaaa sunshine

Bike
    CB1000R
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrestler View Post
    My preference is for the Hornet but a friend (or 2) reckon it would be too powerful and she might lose confidence on it
    Absolute codswhallop! Like everyone has been saying, comfort is the most important factor. A mate of mine was having immense trouble with the Bandit 250 he was learning to ride on but once he flicked that off and got himself a CBR125 which he said he felt right at home on... the issues ceased and he began enjoying riding again as he was just about ready to pack it all in.

The Hornet is actually well behaved at anything under half revs (which is what you use for typical road riding) and how fast she goes is fully dependant on her ability to control her right wrist. Plus she won't get bored with it nearly as quickly as other bikes! It's a bike that can be gentle to a learner and exciting to an experienced rider. Highly recommended.

Bike
    '92 Kawasaki ZXR250C
    Get her an old GPX250. If she can ride that, she can ride anything.
    "Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death" - Hunter S. Thompson

Bike
    2011 Ducati 848
    As a lady learner I really like my Yamaha Scorpio

Bike
    big minton
    get a CBR150
    Quote Originally Posted by 325rocket View Post
    Isn't it a rectum stretching pain in the ring piece when the mrs wants to slip in a digit and wont use lube
    Quote Originally Posted by gatch View Post
    I don't need pills to make me blow massive loads
    Cold Kiwi

Everyone loves duck sauce, is the amazing or is this amazing?!

Bike
    2016 BMW RnineT
    vtr 250 if you are worried about power.
    I got one to learn on, it is definitely not a quick bike but can still do highway speeds comfortably. I find it really confidence inspiring, great around the twisties and very forgiving. They look to be very similar to the hornet (except engine and doesn't have the 180 rear tyre) so she should be comfortable on that too.

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    Quote Originally Posted by DunerzNick View Post
    vtr 250 if you are worried about power.
    I got one to learn on, it is definitely not a quick bike but can still do highway speeds comfortably. I find it really confidence inspiring, great around the twisties and very forgiving. They look to be very similar to the hornet (except engine and doesn't have the 180 rear tyre) so she should be comfortable on that too.
    Ya what?? A VTR250 will do 160. Isn't that quick enough?
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    None
    FXR150 ftw

-Indy
    Hey, kids! Captain Hero here with Getting Laid Tip 213 - The Backrub Buddy!

Find a chick who’s just been dumped and comfort her by massaging her shoulders, and soon, she’ll be massaging your prostate.

Thread Information