Thread: Which motards are road legal?

Bike
    1992 VFR400R, 2007 SV650 Pro Twin

Which motards are road legal?

I´m really interested in the Aprilia SXV550, as a possible road/race bike. My question is are they road legal? Cause I saw one on trademe, and it didn´t appear to have a number plate or anything. And are they really as unreliable as people say.

Also, as per the subject which are the best road legal motards? My own experience with motards only goes so far as a road legal Honda NXR125 which I had a blast on, but with a mere 12hp at the crank obviously doesn´t pack the punch that I´m looking for.

Bike
    No longer Motarded
    Quote Originally Posted by vtec View Post
    I´m really interested in the Aprilia SXV550, as a possible road/race bike. My question is are they road legal? Cause I saw one on trademe, and it didn´t appear to have a number plate or anything. And are they really as unreliable as people say.

Also, as per the subject which are the best road legal motards? My own experience with motards only goes so far as a road legal Honda NXR125 which I had a blast on, but with a mere 12hp at the crank obviously doesn´t pack the punch that I´m looking for.
    very few actually come out road legal, there is the DRZ400 but if you are after a 550 you wouldnt settle for a 400.
    some ktms are road legal too, i think you can buy a 530exc with a road kit.
    my 525sx is road legal too, the previous owner put all the wiring loom in from a exc and now its wicked fun to ride on the road.

there is a road legal 550 here in dunedin for sale, pretty cheap too with all the unreliable breakages already been and fixed it would be a good bike.
    I know that it puts out like 68hp at the wheel and had me tempted but i thought i would just stick with ktm.
    Bring on the weekend

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    I have seen road legal ones here. Yes, they are unreliable.

What about KTM and Husqvarna? Both have road legal Motards in the 550-700cc range, and KTM have the 990 Super Motard if you really want power.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    f800r, hank the postie, tfzr125
    The husqvarna SMR 450/510 and SM610 are all street legal.

I have a 610 and lurve it.

The question you want is, how much maintenance are you willing to do ? The 610 is not so bad, the 450/510 are not so great.

The SXV is hideous for maintenance. The KTM 690s are pretty decent. DRZs are fantastic.

Bike
    Austrian and Italian
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post
    What about KTM and Husqvarna? Both have road legal Motards in the 550-700cc range, and KTM have the 990 Super Motard if you really want power.
    yeah, thats right. What about KTM!

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    I know, I know!!!!
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    KTM have the 990 Super Motard if you really want power.
    Its actually a Super Moto... technically speaking, the motards are single cylinder, spoked wheels etc.

But the 990SM is a fuel injected V-Twin, 7500km service intervals, so the fun of a motard, reliability and maintenance of a normal bike It also packs over 100hp, you can pretty much assume its a motard on steroids.

Yep, the SXV550 is road legal (provided it has plate, wiring loom, lights etc etc) and I have test ridden one. Fun, but known to be a bit of a hand grenade. Technically, for racing you would use the RXV550.

If you don't want the size of a 990SM (its also a big bike physically) consider the 690SM. Still great reliability, but more like the motards, single cylinder with similar hp etc.

Mental option would be a Husaberg fs650e (the c version is identical, but no wiring loom). Apparently several people rode the fs650e and decided it was too crazy when the local dealer had one for sale. No idea on reliability.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    1992 VFR400R, 2007 SV650 Pro Twin
    Thanks for the responses guys, I´ve just noticed the Yamaha WR450 looks pretty awesome. What would be the best one to use as both a road and race machine. Cause I can´t afford two bikes really.

I might be able to race the sketchy K5 for the TRRS and Endurance race cause I have part ownership of it. But I need a road bike that I could also throw down the track if I want to. Currently have a VFR400R, but it´s way too slow for the F3 class as it´s completely standard and has only preload adjustment on the forks and its pretty damn soft and too heavy for my liking.

Regulations with the VMCC limit the bikes to 700cc´s. And they run a class with maximum 450cc. So that would put the Yamaha WR450 back up on the list. My other option is to man up and get two supersport bikes. I first need a job however hahahaha. Get back to NZ on the 21st of August. Pretty sure I´ll fall into a role.

Bike
    Depends on your definition of road bike

My SM610 is my daily driver. Day in and day out. It's what I use for fun, for work, for touring, for everything.. and it's not bad to clock 1-1000 on in a weekend.

I used to have a DRZ400, and did 1000 kms in one weekend, that kind of sucked.. but was do-able.

The KTMs are quite nice on the road from what I hear, and low maintenance enough to not worry too much about the wear and tear.

WR450 as a road bike is certainly possible, but I'd be pretty wary about how many hours I'm putting on it. Maybe it's just me though.

Bike
    2018 GSXS1000
    Blog Entries
    Motards kinda suck full stop

just never enough hp on the road

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by carver View Post
    Motards kinda suck full stop

just never enough hp on the road
    You're just a bitter DRZ owner

Come give the Husky a ride on a road of my choice. (or wr450/crf450/LC4, etc)

Bike
    2018 GSXS1000
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by denefoster View Post
    You're just a bitter DRZ owner

Come give the Husky a ride on a road of my choice. (or wr450/crf450/LC4, etc)
    haha, the KTM duke was not too bad, the 690 engine is good.
    just no speed and no tank range combined with no comfort, makes the trip to the twisites hard

Bike
    Aprilia SXV 550
    Yes they are road legal, just not that practical unless your riding a twisty road, the tank only holds 7 L, so that won't get you far, but you'll need a break as your arse will be sore as. Mine has been nice and reliable. Some folks around the world have got huge k's out of there without issues, others have crapped out real early, the very early models were built by Luigi after lunch and a few too many chainti's.

For safe and reliable you won't go far wrong with an orange bike.

Bike
    Tuono R , SD900
    Thanks for the responses guys, I´ve just noticed the Yamaha WR450 looks pretty awesome. What would be the best one to use as both a road and race machine. Cause I can´t afford two bikes really.

I might be able to race the sketchy K5 for the TRRS and Endurance race cause I have part ownership of it. But I need a road bike that I could also throw down the track if I want to. Currently have a VFR400R, but it´s way too slow for the F3 class as it´s completely standard and has only preload adjustment on the forks and its pretty damn soft and too heavy for my liking.

Regulations with the VMCC limit the bikes to 700cc´s. And they run a class with maximum 450cc. So that would put the Yamaha WR450 back up on the list. My other option is to man up and get two supersport bikes. I first need a job however hahahaha. Get back to NZ on the 21st of August. Pretty sure I´ll fall into a role.
    buy blue , ive had a great run out of mine and about to up date to another new wr.
    if you want a aprilla contact Adam Here http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...-231248791.htm he'll sell you one direct as he use to be the importer and i know he has 4 550 and 8 450 in his lock up

Bike
    Loud and hoony
    Anything is legal as long as you keep it below 100 km/h (not entirely correct, but a decent approximation nonetheless).

Motards aren't built for comfort... and travelling at elevated speeds for extended periods of time will wear you out quite quickly.
    Nevermind scooters - motards are the best commuters ever (most entertaining anyway).

I have seen road legal ones here. Yes, they are unreliable.
    Well, there's unreliable and there's maintenance intensive... and then there's the SXVs. Aprillia has now relaxed the "service" (read rebuild) interval from 40 to 80 hours... Not a biggie, if you are happy to do engine rebuilds by yourself and don't want to ride the bike all the time.

Biggest issue with the SXV as far as I would be concerned is the microscopic fuel tank. Fine for racing, but not for going on a mission.
    It is preferential to refrain from the utilisation of grandiose verbiage in the circumstance that your intellectualisation can be expressed using comparatively simplistic lexicological entities. (...such as the word fuck.)

Remember your humanity, and forget the rest. - Joseph Rotblat

Thread Information