Thread: 09 KTM 990 SM-T Report

Bike
    KTM 950 Super Moto

09 KTM 990 SM-T Report

Wow!! yesterday I took the KTM 990 SMT out for a testride and Holy Moly....what a funtastic machine.
    Gone were the nervous thoughts when entering a corner with a touch of grit, as with my GSXR1000k6, I found myself opening the throttle earlier and closing it later! I was riding with all the usual suspects, guys on GSXR's, new R1's, a supermotard, a VFR800, etc etc, and yup, they were all behind me on the twisties of the Akaroa hill!!
    The brakes are mindblowing on this bike...Brembo of course, and I noticed the lack of necessary use they were getting compared to the GSXR, due to the marvellous engine braking of that luscious V twin injected engine. Even the rear brake was powerful and happy to be used without fear of unwanted lockups.
    I must say Brembo radial brakes are THE BEST I have ever used.
    The WP suspension was awesome, didnt even notice it so it must be good eh.
    The gearbox was surprisingly good for a Euro bike with a few false neutrals but only due to my inadequate shifting (after the slick GSXR gearbox LOL!)
    The gear ratios were close and shifting to 2nd gear with loads of throttle always brought the front wheel up predictably and easily. The overall final gearing is spot on and I saw 150kmh at 5500rpm. Ticking over lovely!
    The seat was good, but I was getting a sore butt after 150 ks of fun, must be the v twin thump....the GSXR has none of that.
    Such a practical bike and soooooo much fun, no sore forearms or wrists at the end of the day, the only thing that slowed me down at sign up time was the price tag. Wait for it......$23000. Bloody dear, but Im still seriously considering trading.
    Go take one for a blast, but make sure you go to the twisties, at least 4 hours worth, and be sure you dont take your chequebook...have a cooling off period for a few days, will make little difference, you will still WANT one.
    I said it before and will say it again....Wow!!!!! makes you want to get into riding!
    NZ Highway Patrol's Road Safety Campaign....
    Get Bikes off the Road at All Costs!

Bike
    05 Sprint ST,
    I had the 990 SM. Same bike, longer suspension travel, seat, bar mounted lights etc. HUGE fun! Pefect bike for this land. Not great on gravel though as it wheelspins easily & the Brembo's are rather viscious for off road braking.
    Worth every cent!
    My mechanic couldn't fix my brakes, so He made my horn LOUDER ! ! !

Bike
    2001 R1150GS
    saweeeeeeeeet mate, i just window shop thats as close as i wana get to one
    'Good things come to those who wait'
    Bollocks, get of your arse and go get it

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    I have a 990sm at the moment, and I have to rate it as the best bike I have owned. Brilliant for NZ road surfaces.

The SMT has less travel suspension (but people complained the SM pitched too much) and a better seat. So much so, I've taken delivery of an SMT seat

While the initial cost is higher, factor in the fact that you're getting factory backed Brembo brakes and WP suspension all round. You're also getting Marchesini wheels. Upgrading a Jap bike is going to cost you far more, without the factory support.

Go on, you know you want to!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    (sold)Suzuki DR 650se
    I would buy one! but its about 10k over budget.. Might have to have a talk with wifey.... but doubt that will work

Bike
    . .
    All very cool but why are these road bikes in the ADV forum?

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthrax View Post
    All very cool but why are these road bikes in the ADV forum?
    Motards are still adventure bikes.
    Mine has done the Maungatapu when it was still as rough as guts and the Rainbow etc.

Thread Information