Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Forking hell...

Bike
    1150GSA, Husaberg F600

Forking hell...

Right.

KLR650.

RaceTech Emulators - or - Ricor Intiminators?

What say everyone?

Bike
    06 scrambler,xrl,
    Blog Entries
    Go where you get after sales service related to the product.MHO

Bike
    91 R80GS
    Did you read the thread re the Ricor AIS rear shock? They were talking about the differences somewhere in the middle of the 19 pages of posts.

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Intiminators rule...

Can't wait to see what the DR version of the shock will be like...

Bike
    1150GSA, Husaberg F600
    Quote Originally Posted by tri boy View Post
    Go where you get after sales service related to the product.MHO
    The glossy brochures for both they are the best thing next to sliced bread. They look to be exactly the same thing.

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Quote Originally Posted by Moki View Post
    The glossy brochures for both they are the best thing next to sliced bread. They look to be exactly the same thing.
    The Intiminator is the next generation of Emulator. The emulator works on flow rate. Once the forks are compressing fast enough the adjustable poppet valve opens softening the damping. Whereas with the intiminator's inertia valve it can differentiate between chassis and wheel movement. Chassis induced movement eg brake dive are heaivly damped but if the wheel moves toward the bars the inertia valve lags behind the movement reducing the amount of damping thus making the front supple over bumps and the sharper edged and harder hit the more you notice the effect. The most obvious advantage of this is when braking heavily on a rocky downhill where the forks are still held high in the stroke but are still able to respond to the rocks with softer damping. With emulators you've still got all the brake dive and associated issues. Although pre-loading the front becomes an issue for an intiminatored bike.

I could go on and may if provoked

Bike
    91 R80GS
    PLease do Nordie. so you have intimators not emulators? IS the DR shock you mention is the ricor one yet to be in production for bikes other than the mighty KLR?

Bike
    KLR650 WR450
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    The most obvious advantage of this is when braking heavily on a rocky downhill where the forks are still held high in the stroke but are still able to respond to the rocks with softer damping. With emulators you've still got all the brake dive and associated issues. Although pre-loading the front becomes an issue for an intiminatored bike.

my klr (and presumably all others?) had chronic brake dive - it was really noticeable during hard braking in the twisties. This has totally gone once I fitted the iniminators.

I had to shorten my spring spacers 15mm to stop the ride feeling a bit harsh - is that what you mean about 'pre-loading' Nordie?

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Quote Originally Posted by marks View Post
    I had to shorten my spring spacers 15mm to stop the ride feeling a bit harsh - is that what you mean about 'pre-loading' Nordie?
    Not that pre-loading.

Bouncing the front before adding power to get the front up type pre-loading...

I was running 15mm of spring pre-load with the stock DR springs and 5mm with the Eibach springs.

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Quote Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
    PLease do Nordie. so you have intimators not emulators? IS the DR shock you mention is the ricor one yet to be in production for bikes other than the mighty KLR?
    Yep. Intiminators.

I don't even know if they're working on a DR shock.
    But...
    Someone did ask Mr Ricor about shocks a while ago and he clammed up and said we needed to talk to to Brian

Mr Ricor rides a DR650 though so I didn't think it'd be long before something was available...

Bike
    1150GSA, Husaberg F600
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    The Intiminator is the next generation of Emulator. The emulator works on flow rate. Once the forks are compressing fast enough the adjustable poppet valve opens softening the damping. Whereas with the intiminator's inertia valve it can differentiate between chassis and wheel movement. Chassis induced movement eg brake dive are heaivly damped but if the wheel moves toward the bars the inertia valve lags behind the movement reducing the amount of damping thus making the front supple over bumps and the sharper edged and harder hit the more you notice the effect. The most obvious advantage of this is when braking heavily on a rocky downhill where the forks are still held high in the stroke but are still able to respond to the rocks with softer damping. With emulators you've still got all the brake dive and associated issues. Although pre-loading the front becomes an issue for an intiminatored bike.

Cheers for explaining that. I know Marks rates 'em....just wanted some more opinions on them -for or against- before I order some in. Nice 50% discount going at the mo.

-Karl

Bike
    1150GSA, Husaberg F600
    Ordered up some Intiminators today. Not bad, just under 300 kiwi bucks landed.

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    You'll hate them. They're terrible.

Bike
    91 R80GS
    How could you go & order intimators & not get the rear as well? I can't look at the website at the mo as I get all twitchy & feverish. Interested to know how you find them.

Bike
    1150GSA, Husaberg F600
    Quote Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
    How could you go & order intimators & not get the rear as well? I can't look at the website at the mo as I get all twitchy & feverish. Interested to know how you find them.

Yeah I know, I know...... I'm planning on probably getting a Moab for the rear, but wait for dear old mum to smuggle it into the country when she pops by in Dec. I'll see if she can smuggle a seat in as well...and may be a half dozen set of Mefos...etc etc etc. Besides, I don't yet have financial approval for the rear. I'm working on it though

I'm not entirely convince about the new Riccor rear. Have they started shipping yet? Anyone have any experience with this yet?

Thread Information