Page 53 of 70 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast

Thread: Well bikers are screwed - ACC levy

Bike
    1986 Honda GB 400F
    One of problems is they are lumping offroad injuries with the motorcycle-related injuries...There is a problem here. Yes, many offroaders own road bikes too. And dirtbiking is one of the best ways to learn how to ride and understand about traction without the danger of other road vehicles. If we were to make offroad bikes need to be registered and have an ACC levy, this would greatly deter many riders. It would also defeat the purpose of learning to ride offroad first. Plus it would still mean riders are paying separate levies for more than one bike.

As someone else suggested, ACC levy should be put with your driver's license. You have one of these, right? And many of you have more than one bike (offroad or onroad). Just because you own more than one bike doesn't mean you are more likely to crash.

Saying that motorcycles are more likely to crash is a disgusting oversight. Many accidents are caused by other vehicles on the road. Yet if a car causes you to crash, you fill out the ACC form and they stick it as a "motorcycle-related injury". If they had made a new category: "accident and injury caused by car/other road user" they would see the difference. Especially with cyclists and pedestrians. Because ACC doesn't make this difference clear, our dear friend Nick the dick Smith simply sees that since motorcycles take the most claims (which I understand is also bullshit) then they should pay a higher levy. God this guy is fucking moron.

But I am preaching to the choir here.

Bike
    1986 Honda GB 400F
    Quote Originally Posted by mossy1200 View Post
    ACC cares about the environment – please don’t print this email
    unless it is really necessary.
    OH FFS

Bloody fucking ACC

If they care so much about the fucking environment, shouldn't they be encouraging the use of low-emission vehicles such as oh, I dunno, MOTORCYCLES?

What the fuck.

Bike
    Yamaha XVS1100

Don't give up on this!!!

We motorcyclists are being forced to bear the brunt of ACC levy increases - when much of the time it is car/truck drivers that cause the accidents. Motorcycling is a much more environmentally friendly mode of transportation - easier on fossil fuels, easier on the roads, and easier on CO2 emissions. In many countries people are encouraged to ride - BUT not in NZ. Sure - riders are more vulnerable - and more susceptible to poorer roading conditions etc - but that isn't a good reason to increase the levy to the levels they are proposing!!!

What about the large numbers of people who are injured because of alcohol related accidents - at home, in their cars, etc should they be allowed to receive ACC payments and treatment when their injuries may well have been preventable if they weren't under the influence??

And what of the large number of people who suffer accidents whilst playing sports. In fairness - should they too be paying ACC levies - I think so.

I urge all bikers to protest at these unjust increases - surely it would be fairer if the drivers that caused the accidents were the ones who were held liable for the costs - then we might see more respect accorded motorcyclists in this country!!!

Live to ride - Ride to live!!

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Danae View Post
    OH FFS

Bloody fucking ACC

If they care so much about the fucking environment, shouldn't they be encouraging the use of low-emission vehicles such as oh, I dunno, MOTORCYCLES?

What the fuck.
    They would be concerned about the paper cuts most likely
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    Loud and hoony
    Quote Originally Posted by 5150 View Post
    Hang on... I just figured it all out. The higher cc bike levy is actually aimed at gangs who ride their big bad Harleys. Lets tax them for their crimes. Rest of us law abiding citizens who ride bikes are just colateral damage. Yeah, that makes sence. A levy (tax) in disquise
    Hell, how about legalising cannabis and use the taxation on that little gem to fund the ACC shortfall... seems like a reasonable idea to me.

Somehow I doubt the crims are going to give a shit about an ACC levy rise - what are the chances that they are already paying for registration as it is?
    It is preferential to refrain from the utilisation of grandiose verbiage in the circumstance that your intellectualisation can be expressed using comparatively simplistic lexicological entities. (...such as the word fuck.)

Remember your humanity, and forget the rest. - Joseph Rotblat

Bike
    1994 honda vfr750
    well on my nice ride home advoding crazy taxi driver's i came up with an idea ,, since we being told were gna pay 2wice the rego cost that must mean we can travel 2wice the posted speed limit makes sence dont it .
    also feel free to park in car parks actually park over 2 i mean it's just fair aint it.
    bike for sale must sell quick http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=290155086
    for all tattoo needs call nat at FRESH INK TATTOO STUDIO 027-2959882 or freshink@hotmail.co.nz also on face-book with most pictutes, In upper hutt very competive pricing mention your a kb'er for discount

Bike
    '95 Bandit 250
    Blog Entries
    Here are some things that i have copied out and pasted onto an A4 sheet paper to be put in my car windows!

"Buyin a Bike - $3,500
    Paying ACC levies - $1000
    Seeing the look on Cagers faces while we shut down main roads - Priceless

There are some things you cant do in a cage. For everything else, There's motorbikes. "

"ACC – Killing Bikers Faster Than They Kill Themselves"

"I had to give up two wheels to pay for 1 Rego"

Those are just some examples. The others are pictures.

Bike
    2023 Husqvarna Svartpilen 401

Thumbs down Insane.

Pretty gutted about this. I've been cycling whilst saving for an SV650, but I'm reconsidering getting another motorbike now.
    The bicycle requires no rego, no WOF, no ACC levies, no petrol, no road user tax, and gets me fit whilst riding.
    Of course I have to contend with nearly being side-swiped by cagers every time I ride...

Bike
    Japanese Zero, Yer mama
    Quote Originally Posted by samgab View Post
    Pretty gutted about this. I've been cycling whilst saving for an SV650, but I'm reconsidering getting another motorbike now.
    The bicycle requires no rego, no WOF, no ACC levies, no petrol, no road user tax, and gets me fit whilst riding.
    Of course I have to contend with nearly being side-swiped by cagers every time I ride...

And pretty soon they will start charging you ACC levys for riding it. $200 per year and $300 if you under 15 cause you more likely to fall off and hurt yourself when you are learning to ride.
    I've spent my money on bikes, booze and babes. The rest I've wasted....

Bike
    GSX-R600 k8
    Quote Originally Posted by jono035 View Post
    Dunno if anyone else has mentioned it but it would seem that the ACC levy component is going to increase to $745, from $252... Currently licensing is $380, so there is $130 of non-ACC in there making it $875 per year for 601cc+.
    You're forgetting the extra for the GST percentage of the higher ACC portion. Somebody else earlier in this thread worked it out to over $900.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by 5150 View Post
    And pretty soon they will start charging you ACC levys for riding it. $200 per year and $300 if you under 15 cause you more likely to fall off and hurt yourself when you are learning to ride.
    Yeah, true. Thinking about it, toddlers and babies fall over and hurt themselves all the time, I think maybe there should be a $100 ACC levy on Treasures; per nappy. And people should be charged $50 for crossing the road, $100 if it's not on a pedestrian or crossing light.

Seriously though, I wonder how they would implement a Bicycle registration scheme. I bet ACC would love to do that.

Bike
    A chubby lollipop
    I rang the Motor Registration Centre in Palmy today.......I asked what was the minimum time you can reg a bike for if the rego is on hold. "You can specify a time and there is no lower limit". So, I'm going to put our bikes on hold for the darker six months of the year (say June-Nov) and if an event comes up and the weather looks good just rego' the bikes for a few days.

It might be a pain but worth it for the savings. Fuck 'em.

Might even do it for the V8 now too.

Bike
    Japanese Zero, Yer mama
    Quote Originally Posted by peasea View Post
    I rang the Motor Registration Centre in Palmy today.......I asked what was the minimum time you can reg a bike for if the rego is on hold. "You can specify a time and there is no lower limit". So, I'm going to put our bikes on hold for the darker six months of the year (say June-Nov) and if an event comes up and the weather looks good just rego' the bikes for a few days.

It might be a pain but worth it for the savings. Fuck 'em.

Might even do it for the V8 now too.
    Now that is definately worth looking at. User Pays, right?
    I've spent my money on bikes, booze and babes. The rest I've wasted....

Bike

Question

Quote Originally Posted by chelseapar View Post
    just no pay license. police no shoot for stop for NZ. Police shoot for stop for bolivia

change make govnerment no words. must gain lot people for change. play protestation for change
    Eh?.......

Bike
    81 katana 650 fighter.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by samgab View Post
    Eh?.......
    That about sums it up

Thread Information