Page 12 of 82 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: KTM 990/950 Adv thread

Bike
    silly green dirt bike..........DOH
    Blog Entries

ktm guys.....

my clutch lever feels soft, and gear changes are clonky...whats the go boys...

JMJ
    I FEEL THE NEED, THE NEED FOR SPEED
    my ride picshttp://picasaweb.google.com/sueycarter
    other ride pics http://picasaweb.google.com/113645336286831595353

Bike
    Orange ones! (and a few others...)
    Quote Originally Posted by junkmanjoe View Post

JMJ
    First bleed it, maybe change the fluid (it may be old) and then have a bit of a look at the slave cylinder as they are a known weak point, I believe the fix is an aftermarket slave cylinder.
    Have a look on the OC hall of wisdom as it is all documented there.

Bike
    2002 KTM 640 Adventure

Have you called George?

JMJ
    The wise man in the Waikato?

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Crisis management View Post
    First bleed it, maybe change the fluid (it may be old) and then have a bit of a look at the slave cylinder as they are a known weak point, I believe the fix is an aftermarket slave cylinder.
    Have a look on the OC hall of wisdom as it is all documented there.
    yip i posted the prob up there and good feed back about possible causes.

JMJ

Bike
    2001 R1150GS
    my clutch lever feels soft,
    JMJ
    just have a play with it mate it will soon harden up
    'Good things come to those who wait'
    Bollocks, get of your arse and go get it

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dino3310 View Post
    just have a play with it mate it will soon harden up
    you going to need to do a far bit of stroking to fix yours mate........

Bike
    2001 R1150GS
    you going to need to do a far bit of stroking to fix yours mate........
    thats just down right nasty mate......
    i like nasty
    'Good things come to those who wait'
    Bollocks, get of your arse and go get it

Bike
    SWM RS 650R
    Come on Guys, neither of you ride DRs anymore so all this manlove talk should stop.................
    I mentioned vegetables once, but I think I got away with it...........

Bike
    '91 R100GS Supertanker
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    Come on Guys, neither of you ride DRs anymore so all this manlove talk should stop.................
    Ah, yes, but Dinos got a Honda now. A step too far really...We've all discussed (disgust?) what that can do for a man. And really, what is JMJ compensating for? Its so big. And now he's telling us its really soft???
    IT'S JUST BETTER WHEN THERE'S TWINS INVOLVED..
    My GS build thread is here
    My ride photos are here

Bike
    05 450 EXC, 990 S

JMJ
    My clutch stoped working over about 50kms of riding. Noticed that the engage/disengage point was getting closer to the bars until it wouldn't disengage at all. Makes riding around town a bit interesting! Basically it had lost enough fluid past a worn seal that it wasn't working any more. Probably the same for you. Get a 22/23/24mm id 2mm diameter O ring ($0.95 each), pull the two bolts that hold the slave cylinder on, one circlip to remove the piston from the housing, clean, replace O ring, bleed the system and away you go.

You need to bleed the cluch from the slave cylinder. Get a 50mm or larger syringe (know a friendly nursey ) and a bit of tube and force the mineral oil (do not use brake fluid!!!) in at the slave cylinder bleed nipple with the master cylinder cover off (clean out the master cylinder first). You may then have to work the clutch leaver a few times to get air to come back up the line (it is very steep so air not likely to go down), then do a couple of "normal" i.e. pressurise the system with the clutch lever and bleed out the slave nipple. This is cause the slave nipple is the highest point in the slave cylinder for an air bubble to sit in. I though this whole process was going to be a bit of a nightmare given the Yanks dribble about it all but it was a piece of cake.

I got a 150ml(?) bottle of Spectro mineral oil specifically for Magura clutches on KTMs for $8 for the local bike shop that should give me a two or three fluid replacements. Way way cheaper than the Motorex 75 fluid that cost $25 for the same stuff. Some use baby oil which is a mineral oil in an emergency - get the scented stuff and your clutch will smell nice I used a 22mm ID O ring and it seems to be working fine (done 500kms since replacing) but it should probably really be a 24mm ring. Take the clutch piston when you go shopping to be sure. 2mm diameter is important though.

I've had a look at the system and cant see for the life of me why the piston would twist in the bore as suggested by some on ADV rider. The piston has a hole that sits over the clutch push rod when in the slave cylinder in fitted up so I'm buggered if I can see how it would twist in the slave cylinder bore. The plastic spacer could warp with heat and while the slave cylinder seals against the spacer seals in the engine oil, a warped plastic spacer should have no bearing on how well the slave cylinder piston seals i.e. how the clutch works. So after actually pulling it to bits and having a look I'm very much inclined not to buy a US$200+ replacement slave cylinder. I'll just carry a couple of spare O rings and the remainder of the mineral oil around with me - takes up bugger all space.

The KLR boys are going to love this post - baby oil, slaves, nipples, working the lever, bores, etc!!!

Cheers R
    Last edited by cooneyr; 9th December 2009 at 21:22. Reason: Opps DR should have been KLR!!!
    "The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools." - Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Bike
    A bike! yes its a bike and the others...
    The system for the clutch is hydraulic and made by Margura better known for MTB applications. The master reservoir is kind of small and the system uses mineral oil(just like MTB's). The oil goes off quite quickly compared to a DOT 4/5 etc systems and, needs to be replaced more often. The slave has also been improved on the 990 versions.
    1. Unbolt slave inspect, leaks/damage at seal?. Replace if stuffed. If it looks ok no damage to o-ring goto 2. Make mental note to buy improved slave.
    2. Replace fluid with mineral oil, you can use MTB stuff if you cant find any. Shimano do good stuff. Make mental note to replace often.
    Hope this helps.
    Any errors in this are due to me been knackered after changing the tyres on me BRP I am crap at changing tyres and should know better but i want to play on the weekend...cheers.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    okies ...thanks heaps guys.. just may be rolling sat after noon...
    ill pop in to lins autos..he got more o rings than a paddock fill of sheep....

there is oil under neath the unit so it coming from some where.

cheers
    JMJ

P:s.. Black klrs suck rabbits balls.......

Bike
    KTM 2T & LC4
    Quote Originally Posted by cooneyr View Post
    I got a 150ml(?) bottle of Spectro mineral oil specifically for Magura clutches on KTMs for $8 for the local bike shop that should give me a two or three fluid replacements. Way way cheaper than the Motorex 75 fluid that cost $25 for the same stuff.
    Use leftover fork oil...

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy Cat View Post
    The system for the clutch is hydraulic and made by Margura better known for MTB applications. The master reservoir is kind of small and the system uses mineral oil(just like MTB's). The oil goes off quite quickly compared to a DOT 4/5 etc systems and, needs to be replaced more often.
    Que? Not only is that news to me, it contradicts everything I've read about them! Why do you think it goes off?

Advice on KTM forums says the opposite. Brake fluid is hygroscopic so needs to be changed every year, more often when racing. The accepted wisdom for hydraulic oil clutches like Magura's is don't touch the buggers unless you have problems. The clutch simply isn't under the kind of stresses brake fluid is: no wicked heat, bugger-all pressure, the fluid doesn't readily absorb water, the slave piston seals aren't exposed to so much forced-in dirt/mud/grime.

My personal experience reflects that; I can tell when brake fluid deteriorates, but never had a problem with Magura clutches and never changed the fluid. (Except when I had a mechanical failure - hose unscrewed from the master cylinder.)

The KTM specified service interval for the Magura hydraulic clutch fluid is... none.

[Edit: Ah, I think I see the problem. Ding! (Where's the lightbulb smilie?) Newer mtb BRAKE systems are using mineral oil instead of proper brake fluid... yeah, I can see it being way inferior in that application. But mtb's don't have clutches, right?]
    Cheers,
    Colin

Quote Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
    All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    The hydro Magura on the Nordie was still sweet 3 years after I installed it.

Bike
    Designa Yello 2004 DR 650

JMJ
    JMJ ...I had a quick look at my bike to try and help you ... I can't find any oil on mine ... it appears to be a fairly reliable looking cable, the DR650's have them.

Hope this helps
    Cheers Andi & Ellen
    twomotokiwis.com
    Two Moto Kiwis Adventure Ride, May 3rd 2012 -> 20XX Prudhoe Bay Alaska -> Ushuaia Argentina -> Then Wherever We Point The Bars

Thread Information