Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ACC ACCidentally discloses intention to become an insurance company

Bike
    Old classic thing

ACC ACCidentally discloses intention to become an insurance company

For those whos still have any doubt that ACC is moving towards a standard insurance company risk/premium model...

In this Fridays Computerworld there was an article titled "ACC shift gear with major IT investment" Nov 9th 2009.

It has some interesting quotes fro ACC and if you are in any doubt that the ACC is becoming an insurance company you should read it. As an insurance company it is likely that it will charge premiums (levies) commensurate with the risk. This could mean that not only road cyclists but also moutain bikers could be paying insurance premiums to the ACC.

The following is a copy of the article.

"ACC shift gear with major IT investment"

Facing the prospect of private sector competition the Accident Compensation Corporation is gearing up its technology to deliver more flexible services and to work in a “more businesslike manner".

The corporation is planning to invest in what it calls an “integrated insurance solution” in what some sources say will require a multi-million dollar transformation project.

“ACC is seeking technology solution to replace legacy systems that are no longer fit for purpose and which have had minimal investment for at least eight years,” the ACC 's Diane Bradley, who is responsible for the project told Computerworld.

The system will also allow ACC to meet the requirements of the Bill currently before parliament, to provide experience rating – no claim bonuses – and other risk sharing among other functions, she says.

Bradley says it will also allow ACC to connect some of its existing but isolated technology solutions.

“For example the systems that handles claims is separate from the system that calculates levies. The new offering will allow us to bridge that gap,” she says.

The system will also enable a higher level of levy payer self-service and deliver greater efficiencies, better data and better customer service, she says.

A tender document released last week fleshes that out and also reveals significant back-end architecture changes to support the new system.

The documents says ACC seeks technology that supports standard insurance policy administration, customer relationship management, product management and new management functions.

The requirement includes modules for sales management and quoting, and underwriting.

The project is to be introduced in phases over three years.

Currently, core systems are provided by Sun, Oracle,and IBM. Microsoft provides the office software.

Over the past few years,ACC has been implementing and upgrading a claims management system from Irish company Fineos. The new software will have to integrate with EOS, the Fineos claims system.

The RFP says that ACC is seeking to reduce the numbers of servers by 70 percent through virtualisation and consolidation.

It notes that the application server for its integrated premium system is unsupported and that the database is due to be unsupported next month.

Also, the Java code has been superseded.

“Significant investment will be required” ACC says.

Several other major functions are said to be out of scope.

Insurance industry sources say private insurers have dusted off their competitive proposals from the late 1990s when the market was briefly opened up to competition.

ACC posted a loss of $4.8 billion in its most recent financial year. The government subsequently introduced a Bill to raise levies and cut some entitlements amidst a debate about whether ACC was and insurance company at all and whether it should have a to fully fund its future liabilities
    www.FastBikeGear.co.nz
    Top brand Motorcycle accessories: R&G Racing, Titax, CTEK, Ultrabatt lithium Batteries, RockSolid, BikeVis, NGR, Oberon, Stopit, TUTORO, Posi-Lock, etc.
    Mobile: 0275 985 266 Office, 09 834 6655

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Umm, they've been signing all correspondence with "ACC Insurance" for a couple of weeks as well.

No need for geeks to go Java on anyone's arse to come to that conclusion.

I take issue with the last couple of paragraphs. NZ Insurance companies were unable to make a competitive response last time, so they'd have little to "dust off" this time.

ACC didn't lose 4.8 billion either. They made 1 billion. They didn't make the 6 billion they were expecting.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    Old classic thing
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post
    Umm, they've been signing all correspondence with "ACC Insurance" for a couple of weeks as well.
    I don't believe you.
    www.FastBikeGear.co.nz
    Top brand Motorcycle accessories: R&G Racing, Titax, CTEK, Ultrabatt lithium Batteries, RockSolid, BikeVis, NGR, Oberon, Stopit, TUTORO, Posi-Lock, etc.

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Chesire Cat posted a copy of a letter he received from ACC signed "Blah, ACC Insurance."

The document has been forwarded to opposition parties.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    Old classic thing
    Chesire Cat posted a copy of a letter he received from ACC signed "Blah, ACC Insurance."

The document has been forwarded to opposition parties.
    James I have done a search for this letter but my searching skills arn't very good. If you or any one else has a link to it, it would be much appreciated.
    www.FastBikeGear.co.nz

Bike
    Bandit
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobblyas View Post
    James I have done a search for this letter but my searching skills arn't very good. If you or any one else has a link to it, it would be much appreciated.
    linky here.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpankMe
    KB does not require a high standard of membership behavior.

Bike
    Old Blue, Little blue
    All part of the exercise to destroy public health and Social Welfare systems and slide in an insurance based health system that enriches nobody except the insurance companies! 30% profits anyone???

The ultimate object, to turn the system into a mini-american nightmare!

Cunts!
    “- He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.”

Bike
    FJR 1300
    Well I geuss we will get our right to Sue back sooner than latter.

Bike
    Baby Gixxer
    Blog Entries
    I just received my confirmation letter today that my surgery will be covered by ACC; letter was dated 5th November and there was no signing including the word "Insurance" anywhere. The letter was still headed with Accident Compensation Corporation.
    I lahk to moove eet moove eet...

Katman to steveb64
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I'd hate to ever have to admit that my arse had been owned by a Princess.

Bike
    02 Ducati ST4s
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobblyas View Post
    I don't believe you.
    I have noticed that as well and just got the reply from my submission

Keith McLea
    General Manager, ACC Insurance

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Here ya go BELIEVE IT NOW!

2010/11 ACC Levy Consultation

Thank you for taking the time to let us know what you think of the proposed 2010/11 levy rates.

We have received your submission and it will be considered by the ACC Board as part of our process for preparing recommendations to the Government. These recommendations will be published in all major newspapers during November 2009 and on our website, at www.acc.co.nz/consultation. We will also contact you at this time to let you know what the recommendations are.

It is anticipated that the final decisions on levy rates will be made by the Government in December 2009. In making these decisions, the Government may choose to accept, reject or modify ACC’s recommendations.

If you have any further queries please email us at consultation@acc.co.nz or contact us on 0800 ACC RATES (0800 222 7283).

Yours sincerely

Keith McLea

Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    02 Ducati ST4s
    Quote Originally Posted by caseye View Post
    Keith McLea

Looks vaguallly fimilar

Bike
    Baby Gixxer
    Blog Entries
    Yep caseye, just went back and looked at the automated reply to my submission and it sure does say ACC Insurance. Just goes to show you have to read stuff right to the end - that's where they stick the things they want to sneak past you!
    I lahk to moove eet moove eet...

Katman to steveb64
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I'd hate to ever have to admit that my arse had been owned by a Princess.

Bike
    RF900R
    Blog Entries
    Had the same letter, so I emailed complaints@acc.co.nz to ask for an explanation of that tag line. It goes without saying, no reply as yet.
    Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do. - Confucius

Bike
    Old classic thing
    James I take it back. It seem you were absolutely correct. I am gob smacked at their audacity. I have forwarded this on to a friendly reporter at the Dom post he is going to pass it on to the journalists who are covering the ACC story.
    www.FastBikeGear.co.nz

Thread Information