Thread: Who of you rich folks are off to Webbs today?

Bike
    Street Triple R

Who of you rich folks are off to Webbs today?

http://www.webbs.co.nz/auction-item/1973-bmw-r90s

r90S

http://www.webbs.co.nz/auction-item/...af%C3%A9-racer

XLCR ($50k plus: dreaming, surely)

http://www.webbs.co.nz/auction-item/1948-indian-chief

Indian Chief anyone? (pick me!)

http://www.webbs.co.nz/auction-item/tribsa-flat-tracker

could be fun.

I was entreated to "just look, and not buy anything"
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    '76 BMW R90S
    I'm planning to attend, simply to watch rich people buying toys . . . .

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Pick me up an Indian Chief while you're there: $1 down, $1 a week for the rest of my natural.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    1975 BMW R90S, 2001 BMW R1150GS
    What did the R90S go for? I believe it is mint.

Bike
    Bikeless.NNnnnooooooooo!
    Blog Entries
    Wouldn't mind having that Harley....I can remember drooling over those during my last years at school....

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by I GS 1 View Post
    Yes its very nice, but not " out of the crate ' as described by the Auctioneer.
    I have been anorakly informed that the tank pin lines on the lower part of the tank rise too early.

It was I gather a New Old Stock rebuild done about 10 years ago. Its value now lies in the fact it has not been ridden.
    But hey....each to his own.

I wan't paying that much attention but over 20K....
    cheaper than the Rocket 3 at 50K

I personally liked the pre unit Triumphs, old, stylish and still usable.
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    '76 BMW R90S
    It went for $23k.

At the last Webbs auction it only got to $16k and was passed in. This time, bidding opened at $20k and climbed very quickly, and then stopped at $23k. I later spoke to the underbidder from the last auction, and he was shocked at the result. I'm guessing he'd hoped to own it last night for $16k - $17k.

It would be kinda cool to own a bike featured in a few marque-specific books. OTOH, it's value would collapse if its owner ever decided to actually ride it. A very expensive ornament . . .

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
    It went for $23k.

At the last Webbs auction it only got to $16k and was passed in. This time, bidding opened at $20k and climbed very quickly, and then stopped at $23k. I later spoke to the underbidder from the last auction, and he was shocked at the result. I'm guessing he'd hoped to own it last night for $16k - $17k.

It would be kinda cool to own a bike featured in a few marque-specific books. OTOH, it's value would collapse if its owner ever decided to actually ride it. A very expensive ornament . . .
    Thanks for that. I had heard of one going for $30k in the states. Must say it looks very nice in the book. I guess Falloon would have checked the rise of the pinstriping against the artist's signature under the tank. I believe they all had their own charateristics.

Bike
    '76 BMW R90S
    Thanks for that. I had heard of one going for $30k in the states. Must say it looks very nice in the book. I guess Falloon would have checked the rise of the pinstriping against the artist's signature under the tank. I believe they all had their own characteristics.
    The factory pinstripers had their own style, within limits. They all conformed to a set profile though.

This is a restored & repainted bike though, & the work was carried out in Sydney, OZ. I understand that Falloon bought the bike AFTER it had been completed. There are many who decide not to slavishly adhere to factory patterns when repainting an R90S (including me!), but when the subject is a big-budget, high profile restoration such as this for which claims are made that it's factory perfect, it had better be right. This one is close, but the anorak inside of me reckons that it misses out on the cigar. It features in two of Falloon's books and is held up as an example of R90S perfection, but it just isn't quite there IMHO.

my $0.02

Bike
    TR6SC,T100C,XR200,VFR400, RM125

Anyone know what the TR6 SC went for?

Missed the auction. guide prices seem high but maybe I'm just getting old.
    I guess if you're only earning 3% in the bank, investing in these could be smart?

Bike
    The factory pinstripers had their own style, within limits. They all conformed to a set profile though.

This is a restored & repainted bike though, & the work was carried out in Sydney, OZ. I understand that Falloon bought the bike AFTER it had been completed. There are many who decide not to slavishly adhere to factory patterns when repainting an R90S (including me!), but when the subject is a big-budget, high profile restoration such as this for which claims are made that it's factory perfect, it had better be right. This one is close, but the anorak inside of me reckons that it misses out on the cigar. It features in two of Falloon's books and is held up as an example of R90S perfection, but it just isn't quite there IMHO.

my $0.02
    Just realised who you are. Red pinstriping? Beautiful bike you have. Must say since I bought an 1150GS I don't ride mine much anymore - but still love it and after 34 years couldn't imagine parting with it.

Bike
    '76 BMW R90S
    Red pinstriping?
    Yep. I'm a deviant . . . There's several other detail changes too. Still, it's a matching numbers bike which retains the important stuff which set the R90S apart.

I do about 5,000km a year on it, including the local BFTP rides and a rider training day at Hampton Downs a few weeks ago. So far it's covered about 17,000km since I finished it's restoration, and over 250,000km since new.

Bike
    70's Superbikes
    and over 250,000km since new.

The pinstripers were German and probably accurate to within .05' with their co workers 'freehand' striping

It's an R90S owners love-in
    Blast From The Past Axis of Oil

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodgyiti View Post

The pinstripers were German and probably accurate to within .05' with their co workers 'freehand' striping

It's an R90S owners love-in
    I went to the factory in 1990 and the paint shop was " out of bounds" for the tour.....wonder if it was like the Tui's brewery..... Fauleins...vunderbar frauleins.....

From what I saw many of the workers were Turkish.....does that tarnish the R90's mystique...?
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

I think that was why the old low cam engine was dropped and the new high cam bike came out in '69 - the old stuff was built by craftsmen which is not very efficient,the new bikes were designed to be assembled by migrant Turks.Kind of like Samoan's being imported just the work in NZ car assembly plants.Now we have no car plants and a lot of Samoan's build stone walls.
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Thread Information