Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Who really does 70 on learners?

Bike
    2008 Suzuki V Strom DL 1000
    Blog Entries
    Changed on 1 December.

Bike
    99 Suzie,05 R6.
    Oh okay,regardless I'll still keep my L-Plate on,but im sure some others won't bother now with the reduction of the fine.

Bike
    Thumpapotamus
    I thought all breeches of specific licence conditions were $400 for class 1 & 6.

Bike
    Arse Bandit
    Quote Originally Posted by Juzz976 View Post
    I thought all breeches of specific licence conditions were $400 for class 1 & 6.
    That's what landtransport.govt.nz is showing. Anything to back up your claim, Red Mermaid?

Bike
    2007 CBR600RR
    I rode up to Palmy in the weekend and if I had stayed at 70km/h I surely would have been hit. Even at 100km/h I had cars right up my arse. 110km/h seemed to be the perfect speed to stay inline with the cars and not have them doing anything silly to try and pass you.

I don't display an L plate nor stay at the 70km/hr limit but only because I feel comfortable doing so. Every rider is different and needs to assess their own situation and ride at whatever speed they feel comfortable. This is in terms of the road, the speed itself, and the other hazzards around you (ie, other cars).

Bike
    2008 CRF450, CBR900RR, 125 Pit bike
    If you can explain to the police officer that doing 70km/h in a 100km/h zone is unsafe and that having a L plate makes drivers around you try and get passed just because your a learner then you will get away with both just dont be cheeky about it.

Im on my learners and ive neva followed any of the limits. Im now on a CBR900RR and still on my learners. Got to fix my mates CBR250 so i can sit my restricted.

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    The aquatic gentlewoman is correct.

Land Transport (Enforcement Powers) Amendment Act 2009 came into force 1st December 2009.

Licence condition breaches go to $100 + 35 demerits (instead of $400 and 25 demerits - less $$$ more demerits). EXCEPT for failure to display an L plate , remains same demerits.

Noisy exhaust now cops 25 demerits . As does obscured or deceptive number plates.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    A naked monster - just like me.
    Do you know you can get exemptions to ride at 100km even on "L" plates.

I received this because I wrote in and told them that I need to go on motorways regularly.

Cost from memory $80 - then they actually said to me "you should probally go diectly to full to make life easier" and gave me dispensation for that as well - at their suggestion (and no additional cost) (had 3 months riding esp. at the time).

Write in and talk to the person handling your file. They are actually very helpful.

I did a post a long time back about it - search is your friend.

Bike
    2010 Honda CB1000R Predator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by marine0089 View Post
    I rode up to Palmy in the weekend and if I had stayed at 70km/h I surely would have been hit. Even at 100km/h I had cars right up my arse. 110km/h seemed to be the perfect speed to stay inline with the cars and not have them doing anything silly to try and pass you.
    When I take our learner riders on an L-Plate I also ride at 70km/h, and all we do is pull over to the side and wave any cars behind us past.

It's very easy to comply with the licence restrictions safely.

Bike
    2010 Honda CB1000R Predator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tank View Post
    Do you know you can get exemptions to ride at 100km even on "L" plates.
    I did a post a long time back about it - search is your friend.
    I've found Tank's great post, and have started turning it into a Wiki article:
    http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/wiki/L-Plate_Dispensation

Bike
    2007 Triumph Street Triple
    I spent the first few weeks doing 70 on the Wellington motorway (commuting to work) and found it was really too dangerous with cars speeding up behind me and passing, some of them very close (some I think to try and scare the "L plate rider" - dicks!), so I decided it was safer to do 100 to keep in the flow of the traffic, even with the L plate still on.

I was led to believe the police are usually OK with this, so long as your not doing anything silly and could reasonably argue that it is safer.

Bike
    04 ZX10R 98 ZX9R #10
    for all those complaining about the 70km/h restriction then how about you aquire the appropriate licence for what you want to use your bike for? I agree with the 70km/hr limit. I think that the 6 month time limit should be taken off the licence and you can sit your restricted anytime you feel capable though. I also think the restricted test should be alot tougher.

Nearly all men can stand adversity and hard time, but if you want to test a mans true character, give him power....
    YouTube Videos
    MY PICTURES

Best place to stay in Hawkes Bay here

Bike
    Thumpapotamus
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboyz View Post
    for all those complaining about the 70km/h restriction then how about you aquire the appropriate licence for what you want to use your bike for? I agree with the 70km/hr limit. I think that the 6 month time limit should be taken off the licence and you can sit your restricted anytime you feel capable though. I also think the restricted test should be alot tougher.
    Yup its a bit too easy, even I passed lol.

Bike
    Custom Bonnie
    Blog Entries
    I've been on learners for 2 months and have L-plate on display.
    However, when I use open roads I ride at 100-110.
    I figure that I run more risk of riding without an L-plate than riding over 70km.

I assume that the 70km restriction is to discourage Learners from using the open road but I am an experienced road user - have had car licence for 26 years and rode on a bike learners for 12 months in my youth, so reckon I am not in the same category as say a 15-16 year old new to the road.

Plus I don't have the same impulsive risk-taking behaviours that get our youngys into trouble!

My advice to young blokes and ladies would be to avoid the open road, especially motorways, when your still getting used to riding, riding in traffic, getting used to road rules and getting used to dealing with other motorists and their often unpredictable behaviour.
    [CENTER]Whatchu talkin bout Willis?

Bike
    2008 Suzuki V Strom DL 1000
    Blog Entries
    In the good old days in the distant past, you got stopped a couple of times by the local cop and on the 2nd time he told you to book in for a bike licence otherwise you would get a ticket and then when you turned up for your test he stood outside the office while he talked to a farmer with a question.

You rode down the road, stopped at the stop sign, crossed the main highway, down to the stop bank, did a U turn and then back to the office and got your licence.

Thread Information