Thread: Response from the AA

Bike
    '08 DR650
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    We are here. Where are y'all ?
    Trapped at work, vote for me

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Well, that was an hour in apathy central. Though as we could only muster 4 bikers, we can't talk.

No voting, it was all jacked up in advance. Two positions, two candidates- the same ones as retired!

The majority of advertising in the AA magazine is for stff like adult nappies, stair lifts, pills for arthritic hips and personal blood pressure monitors (not kidding). Based on the AA Auckland district council, I'd say the advertisers have got their market sussed.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    2007 VN1600
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    We are here. Where are y'all ?
    So just fouind the date and time and place for the meeting. Fech! While I been looking for this info I coulda been there!

Bike
    2010 Honda CB1000R Predator
    Blog Entries
    The meeting today (22/2/2010) at the Auckland District AGM went as well as I expected (wasn't expecting much ...). The AA districts are primarily responsible for issues in their area rather than national issues, but each district has one councillor that is on the national council. This is why each district only has a small impact on AA policy.

I got 5 minutes to speak, so I stuck solely to the issue of ACC and pre-funding.

I succeeded in raising awareness of the issue with them. One of the councillors works in insurance and agreed there was no need for full pre-funding, which was a pleasant surprise (was thinking he was going to crucify me since he worked in the industry). Another councillor believed the myth that ACC is in dire financial straits, and I think he now understands why this is not the case.
    Everyone was friendly enough. Most councillors seemed open to what I was saying.

Hopefully they'll go away and discuss it further behind closed doors. If the only thing they do is start asking why we have pre-funding, then the time would have been worthwhile. The more people who work for the AA that ask this question the greater the chance of getting the snow ball rolling.

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Good work there p.dath.We were received cordially and with an openness that surprsied me.
    After their in house business they invited Phil to take the floor.
    He spoke to them primarily about the need to return the Auckland District of the AA's stance to one of backing a return to the Woodhouse princiipals and for asking the National council to back a call for the cancelling of the need to prefund the ACC.
    In the main I think Phils words were meet with an open mind cetrtainly one or two members of the Auckland AA council were in agreement with Phil quite openly, one of these an Insurance Actuary.
    p.dath has already done a lot of work on the AA's higher ups and he held his own well today, I'm glad I made the effort to go and support him.
    FYI the Auckland District of the AA has a membership of 250,000.BUT NOT ONE OF THEM turned out to thier districts AGM, worse than KB'ers.
    KB I suspect has quite a few paid up members of this district and of cousre many others, we need to become more proactive within our respective AA district councils and lets see if we can't open the door from within.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    2010 Honda CB1000R Predator
    Blog Entries
    Want to know something hilarious I just thought of.

Based on the poor turn out at the AGM, I could probably motion at the national AGM to transform the AA into NZ's largest motorcycle club ... now wouldn't that be hilarious.

Bike
    CB1300 ( naked )
    I am very sorry for being unable to turn up to yesterdays meeting ( as I said I would ), but I have been very busy in the last few days due to my company being taken over, and the issues to me there outweighed the meeting.

At least some turned up, and I do feel pained that I was unable to be on of them.

Thanks from a bike commuter for finding the time Phil.
    Please Mr ACC, my 1300cc bike was passed by a 400cc bike on a track day, can I have my fees reduced ?

Bike
    Kwaka EN500
    Thanks for letting us know about the meeting last night Phil and for the work you have done and are doing with the AA.
    I have to admit that the meeting last night was the oddest AGM that I have ever been to - and I have attended a few. I don't think that they have ever had any members of the public turn up before and the fact that we had to leave after Phil had said his piece as the rest of the meeting was "closed" was unusual.
    Anyway, I'm glad we went. At least now they know that there are some AA members that ride motorcycles and that have opinions.
    I agree with Phil that if we really wanted to there would be an opportunity at the national AGM to have a bit of fun!
    Thanks again Phil for your continued work.
    L.
    Luce by name, but not necessarily by nature

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Just occured to me. If that was an AGM, where was the treasurer's report ? That's the one thing that CANNOT legally be absent from the public part of an AGM. (and yes, holding ANY part of an AGM in camera is very unusual indeed).

And what is the quorum at those meetings I wonder?

Maybe I might go find their constitution and have a read.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    Sold
    Well done you guy's!

Exceptionally well done P.dath, I think you have achieved more than all of the other actions combined!

The AA appears to be running on empty, a bit like BRONZ was before Ixion and Co gave it all a kick start again.

I am a bit surprised at the apathy of the Auckland KB members in support (or lack of) for Phil at the meeting.

That could actually be to advantage, if you get a big muster at the next meeting and give Phil the support to weave his magic and transform the AA to a bike club!

Bike
    Now wouldn't that be something! Great idea there oldrider.
    Ixion, another good point, I;ve charied a few AGM's over the years and you are spot on with the treasurers report having to be read out during the public phase.
    Hamilton could be very interesting, Phil, go on man put an amendment to them at the main AGM that the AA will represent all motorists equally irrespective of vehicle type.
    I will be there too.

Bike
    Now wouldn't that be something! Great idea there oldrider.
    Ixion, another good point, I;ve charied a few AGM's over the years and you are spot on with the treasurers report having to be read out during the public phase.
    Hamilton could be very interesting, Phil, go on man put an amendment to them at the main AGM that the AA will represent all motorists equally irrespective of vehicle type.
    I will be there too.

Bike
    750 auw
    Quote Originally Posted by oldrider View Post
    I am a bit surprised at the apathy of the Auckland KB members in support (or lack of) for Phil at the meeting.
    Unfortuantely Auckland is the maori word for apathy.

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by Usarka View Post
    Unfortuantely Auckland is the maori word for apathy.
    Auckland should change it's motto from "City of sails" to "City of indecision".

Indecision has always been Auckland's stand out feature! It's what they do best up there!

Thread Information