Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting again after 10 years (Pacific Shack)

Bike
    Not yet

Starting again after 10 years (Pacific Shack)

Hi all,

I've decided one of my new years resolutions is to start riding again - only this time for enjoyment as oppose to using it for work. A brief run down:

I lived and worked in London 7 years ago, and for a year had a Yamaha Maxster 125cc which I used for work. The cost of the bike, gear, worked out not too much more than my travel costs for work. I had a great time on that bike, cost me £5 to get to and from work a week in fuel, and just loved the whole thing about being on a bike.

I sold the bike as I moved over here, and made the mistake or selling all my bike gear when I got here - as I thought I would never ride again. So bye-bye Arai Helmet, jacket, gloves and boots to trademe (big mistake I know).

So starting over again from scratch. Some advice please on:
    1/ Where is the best place in town to buy the gear?
    2/ Lessons
    3/ What bike?

I know I'll have to start with a 250cc. I'm also going to have to learn gears - as my old Yamaha was a twist and go. Thanks.

Bike
    99 Suzie,05 R6.
    Welcome to KB,for the gear you can Try Motomail or Cycletreads.

Lessons you mean getting your licence,or wanting to improve your skills?

As for what bike,there are a ton of threads about learner bikes,lot's of people recommend the Honda VTR250 tho.

Bike
    Not yet
    I'll have to start from scratch learning wise.

When in London I took a CBT test for a day which once passed meant I could ride for 2 years up to 125cc. Did it on a manual, passed, but got the Maxster which was a twist and go scooter. Great fun, but no gears which has left me with no experience on a bike with gears. How long does it take to learn from scratch? I'm 33 now, have been a confident driver for the last 15 years, and when on the bike was very confident - albeit 6 years ago!

Bike wise, I'm 6ft 3", and not the lightest person these days (brewing my own beer and consumption doesn't help!), so I'm wanting something with a bit of go in it, but on the other side not something too slow, which means when I can go for my full test I've not too much of a jump to make. Something like a 250cc Hornet or Bandit any good? Will be using it at weekends.

Bike
    97 tls, 750 katana . k4 gsxr1000
    welcome to kb
    WISDOM IS KNOWING KARMA REALLY CAN'T GET YOU.

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE FASTER

DILLIGAF = Does it look like I give a FUCK - Hell no!

Bike
    professional pillion
    Welcome to KB....its not hard to get the basics down...my first time ever on a bike took me a few mins and I was doing figure eights in a carpark with ease. Just get someone to teach you the basics if you know of someone near you...then the rest will be up to you!
    Its all good when its green

WAIOEKA GORGE ROCKS!!

Bike
    2001 Yamaha Dragstar
    Hi Pacific. Welcome to KB

I am a fellow newbie - only been riding 6 weeks after about a 10 year break as well. You mention about being 33 and getting the hang of gears.... well i am just a tad younger and that was what scared the bejeezus outta me too. But you will get the hang of it, just like a car it is all about learning your bike's clutch travel and gear selector - just that it is the otherway around (hand on clutch, foot on gear). Once your travelling through the gears smoothly, it's all plain sailing from there!

have fun!!!!

Bike
    Not yet
    Cheers Tashad - I'm looking forward to the day! I can remember having a few fun and games trying to change gears and brake on the manual, I guess it's just plenty of practice needed.

There's something quite neat of the motorcycle culture too which I like. Working in London town, jumping on the Maxster and making my way from sunny Croydon to Notting Hill everyday was immense fun, and fellow bikers would occasionally nod, which for London anyone looking at each other was a rarity.

I was taught to ride 2/3's over on the road, as that way if you are behind a car they can see you and you are not in the blind spot. The instructor also mentioned it was more visible, and to ride with lights on all the time in London. That the same here?

I also use to ride around pretty much all the traffic in London. Would go around most cars, and up to the front of the traffic lights all the time. It's something which everyone else did, so you just went along with the flow. Don't see muh of it here.

Bike
    99 Suzie,05 R6.
    Yeah it took me a couple of weeks to get used to the gears,but you get it everntually.

Yeah Bandits are good,they have enough power without being scary or dangerous for a beginner..

Bike
    2001 Yamaha Dragstar
    Hey again! yep riding 2/3's towards the centre is good practise and the law recently changed here so now M/B's must ride with lights on at all times. ($$ Fine if you don't)

As for the culture - well, there are a couple of posts floating around here about waving/nodding (can be a touchy subject by the looks... ) but yes, generally speaking there is a ettiquette around this - nod/wave etc is common.

Bike
    FOR SALE
    Hi i would check out cycletreads first i have always found the prices much better than the others. Also check Qchk out for riding help. Good luck
    www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/member.php/3180-Qkchk
    RIDE FOR THE CONDITIONS WHEN THEY CHANGE INCREASE YOUR SPEED

Bike
    professional pillion
    Quote Originally Posted by Tashad View Post
    Hey again! yep riding 2/3's towards the centre is good practise and the law recently changed here so now M/B's must ride with lights on at all times. ($$ Fine if you don't)

As for the culture - well, there are a couple of posts floating around here about waving/nodding (can be a touchy subject by the looks... ) but yes, generally speaking there is a ettiquette around this - nod/wave etc is common.
    me being a pillion I wave at every bike we come across...dont care what it is..they are on two wheels! I have noticed on our last big ride that there were alot more reply waves from hogs which I think is cool. A nod or wave is good unless you are hanging off the side of the bike going round the corner then its understandable!
    Its all good when its green

WAIOEKA GORGE ROCKS!!

Bike
    Not yet
    Hey thanks for the info on Qchk - i have had a look at her site and will probably go for this in the next couple of months. Went down to Motomail on College Hill today and picked up a great Jacket reduced to nearly half price in their clearance sale. Bargain and very happy!

I've just also become a dad for the first time, so for the moment I have to put my 8 week old girl first before I get going on the bike! Maybe as she gets older I'll teach her to become a biker too!

Bike
    Not yet
    Hey thanks for the info on Qchk - i have had a look at her site and will probably go for this in the next couple of months. Went down to Motomail on College Hill today and picked up a great Jacket reduced to nearly half price in their clearance sale. Bargain and very happy!

I've just also become a dad for the first time, so for the moment I have to put my 8 week old girl first before I get going on the bike! Maybe as she gets older I'll teach her to become a biker too!

Bike
    Bandit
    Did you do the CBT at Crystal Palace by any chance? I did mine there, many many years ago. Never got round to doing the rest so have just started all over again over here. Mind you the gap between then and now is massive so I don't mind starting from scratch again.

I did my BHT with Qchk, really good and would highly recommend her. Motomail have some really good prices, you just need to go in with an open mind about what kinda style you want of what ever it is you are after. .. or wait till they have what you are after in your size.

I've got a 250 Bandit and it suites me down to the ground, although 99% of my time on a bike is just commuting.

Congrats on the new family member!

You'll have to show me how to do the home brew , I've tried a couple of times and it ends up tasting like shite.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpankMe
    KB does not require a high standard of membership behavior.

Bike
    2010 Honda CB1000R Predator
    Blog Entries
    Check out the New to Riding section of the Wiki:
    http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/wiki/Cate...o_Motorcycling

Once you have your licence, and a short amount of experience on your bike, BRONZ do a good course:
    http://www.rrrs.org.nz/

You don't say which part of Auckland you are in, but a great free weekly training programme (once you have your licence and a bike is) is NASS:
    http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/wiki/Nort..._Street_Skills

Thread Information