Thread: Save ACC March and Rally - Parliament

Bike
    2006, Suzuki, GN250

Save ACC March and Rally - Parliament

Just FYI in case you all wanted to know:

A march and rally to protest against the Government’s attacks on ACC will take place at Parliament in Wellington on 16 February. The rally will be held under the banner of the ACC Futures Coalition but will aim to attract many organisations and individuals from beyond the coalition to express the widest possible opposition to the assault on ACC.

I will post any new information if I get it.

Bike
    2008, GSR600K
    Thanks Chri5tina - I'm sure there's a thread lurking on here somewhere about it too. Probably in the ACC protest section.
    My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

Bike
    2008, GSR600K
    You can register your attendance here: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/ca...=attend&e=2373

Bike
    A few
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms Piggy View Post
    You can register your attendance here: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/ca...=attend&e=2373
    Whoa ! Those numbers will make a statement huh !

Don't think registering makes much difference, but booking time off on the day might !

Won't be walking nowhere either, ride to the gates, just like last protest !
    A girlfriend once asked " Why is it you seem to prefer to race, than spend time with me ?"
    The answer was simple ! "I'll prolly get bored with racing too, once i've nailed it !"

Bowls can wait !

Bike
    2008, GSR600K
    Well I guess that's why we have to let peope know - spread the word!

Bike
    2020 ls650 boulevard
    Quote Originally Posted by sinfull View Post
    Whoa ! Those numbers will make a statement huh !

Don't think registering makes much difference, but booking time off on the day might !

Won't be walking nowhere either, ride to the gates, just like last protest !
    ive already booked the day off... sometimes its great having mum for a boss. stuff like this all i need to do is tell her i wont be at work that day, lol.
    my blog: http://sunsthomasandfriends.weebly.com/index.html

the really happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery when on a detour.

Bike
    2006, Suzuki, GN250
    For anyone interested (supplementary to the other thread)....

www.accfutures.org.nz info@accfutures.org.nz

Newsletter – No. 2 February 2010

Faced with the Government’s assault on ACC, and its founding principles, the ACC Futures Coalition has been joined by the organisers of last November’s ‘bikeoi’ to organise a march and rally on 16 February.

As result of the Government’s actions and plans Kiwis are facing: excessive levy increases; reduced coverage (e.g. excluding those whose work related hearing impairment is less than 6%); cuts to compensation (e.g. if you are injured and off work, you will have to use your holiday pay up before receiving full weekly compensation); cuts to rehabilitation (e.g. for victims of sexual offending); and the threat to privatise ACC’s services. This is a breach of what ACC was intended to be about and puts injured Kiwis at risk.

We need you to come and show your support for:
    • Keeping ACC public – don’t give it away to private insurers
    • Fair levies based on real costs
    • Real compensation and complete rehabilitation for injured Kiwis

Tell your networks, friends and family. Negotiate an extended lunch hour. Be there!

Glenn Barclay
    Convenor
    ACC Futures Coalition

(04) 816-5032
    (027) 295-5110
    glenn.barclay@psa.org.nz

Bike
    2006, Suzuki, GN250
    Media Release 4 February 2010

16 February March and Rally for ACC announced

The leadership of the bikers ‘bikeoi’ to Parliament in November last year have teamed up with the ACC Futures Coalition to organise a march and rally on 16 February opposing the Government’s attacks on ACC and supporting a model based on the scheme’s original principles.

“When we came here last year we were concerned about unfair levies,” said Brent Hutchison, organiser of the bikeoi. “We said we would be back, and now we will be – together with other groups who are feeling the impact of what the Government is doing to ACC. In November we were chanting ‘who’s next’ and now we know. It is the worker in the dangerous job, the seriously injured person who is to be forced off ACC weekly compensation on to a benefit, the victim of sexual abuse, the worker who is forced to use up all their holiday pay before being entitled to full weekly compensation and the worker who is deemed to be suffering less than 6% hearing loss. It is all New Zealanders who are next because we all rely on ACC as our backstop, and we will be there on 16 February to tell the Government to leave our scheme alone.”

“New Zealanders do not want their scheme to be cut back and privatised,” said Glenn Barclay, spokesperson for the ACC Futures Coalition. “In 2008 Merrill Lynch advised their clients in Australia that they stood to make $200 million a year from a privatised ACC. That is public money that will go to mainly Australian private insurers. Not only that, but a privatised system will be more expensive, less reliable and less able to address system-wide issues such as injury prevention.”

“This is a short-sighted policy”, said Barclay, “and we are asking New Zealanders to come along and show their opposition to these attempts to undermine our world-leading ACC scheme.”

The bikers and the ACC Coalition are pleased to be working together on this event. The bikers will head to Parliament at 12 noon to listen to some of their own speakers, while others will march from Westpac Trust stadium at 12 noon. The route is along Featherston St, Brandon St, and Lambton Quay, to reach Parliament at 12.30pm. The march organisers are trying to arrange for a delegation to meet ACC Minister Nick Smith on the day.

“Our message is that ACC works for all Kiwis and we won’t let the Government rip us off,” said Mr. Hutchison and Mr Barclay.

Bike
    2006, Suzuki, GN250
    Another write up about the ACC March......information about this day is going viral! I expect this will be quite a major event.

ACC march and rally, Tuesday 16 February, Parliament, Wellington

One of the most infuriating actions of the Government during 2009 was its attack on New Zealand's priceless accident compensation scheme. A sustained campaign of misinformation and questionable accounting culminated in the ACC Bill which will pave the way for privatisation of the scheme. This will be the death knell for universal no-fault accident compensation. If the Government succeeds in destroying ACC it will be back to exorbitant private insurance and wasteful legal action.

Help put a stop to the destruction of one of New Zealand's most vital public assets by turning out at the rally at Parliament on 16 February. Unions, health practitioners, claimants' organisations and ordinary people will be out in force to show the Government that we are totally against the unjustified attack on ACC and the programme of unjust cuts to entitlements. And we will be joined once again by the bikers who took 9,000 people to Parliament in November. They are coming back because they know it's about more than just levies, and because nobody is fooled by the predictable ‘concession' of reducing the planned increase to motorbike charges.

This is the time to show the Government with a big turnout that New Zealand doesn't want to see ACC dismantled and sold off to Australian insurance companies. If you can't go yourself, get your family and friends to go along because the Government's cuts will affect them too. ACC is for all Kiwis. Let's keep it that way.

For more information on how the Government is trying to discredit and dismantle ACC go to fairness.org.nz/ACC .
    And check out the CTU's ads which are showing to rugby fans at the Wellington Sevens on the giant screens around the city: www.youtube.com/NZCTU The adverts, featuring the fictional misfortunes of ‘Borat' in his fluorescent mankini, aim to inform revellers about the very real threat to ACC protection from the Government's plans.

Bike
    2006, Suzuki, GN250
    Another one for you all:

Greetings everyone

Please find attached some brochures for the ACC rally on Tuesday 16 Feb to be printed off and distributed by you and your organisations.

I am also attaching some posters that you can print off and use for placards on the day. You can attach them to corflute placards if you have them. This will be really important for visibility.

A reminder too that we want organisations to bring along some means of identifying themselves e.g. banners.

Could all organisations also make sure that they are still actively spreading the word to their members and encouraging them to attend.
    Remember, gather at Fran Wilde concourse at the Stadium 11.30-12noon.
    March leaves at 12noon. 12.30 rally and speeches at Parliament.
    ACCflierFeb16.pdf
    placard-1.pdf
    placard-2.pdf
    placard-3.pdf

Thread Information