Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Ongoing ACC protest actions - discussion thread

Bike
    K-mart pedal power
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Taylor View Post
    When on a trip from my workplace to home this afternoon ( a 7 minute journey through sleepy suburbs ) I spotted 3 motorcyclists wearing shorts. It seems that the motorcycling community has a lot to do to clean up its act, that would generate savings and lessen the burden on taxpayers.
    I agree, see it here all the time. Trouble is if cover becomes dependant on these sorts of things then everything becomes an excuse to decline cover. say you catch a ride home from the pubs, your mate has one too many, stacks it on the way home - would you be covered?

when in a car I'd get a fine for not wearing a seatbelt, but i could ride my bike in a pair of shorts and a helmet no worries, maybe this is something our government should have considered a while ago? ah well

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    Quote Originally Posted by Conquiztador View Post
    So you are saying Day Glows, armour, $2K leathers and $1K helmets. And if not, no ACC?
    Not at all.
    There is no doubt that it's a tricky one. All I know is that I cringe when I see anyone on a bike wearing little-to-nothing in the way of gear, other than a helmet. I cringe, because I can only imagine the nasty injuries that lack of basic safety gear can/will contribute to, as well as resenting the fact that there are almost countless millions spent on treating such (un-necessary) injuries that we all pay for.
    Whilst I can see why the system has to be the way it is, it does not mean that I am happy about it. Perhaps if my 'premium' was reduced because I gear up, that would go some way towards easing my cringe reaction.
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Quote Originally Posted by MSTRS View Post
    Not at all.
    There is no doubt that it's a tricky one. All I know is that I cringe when I see anyone on a bike wearing little-to-nothing in the way of gear, other than a helmet. I cringe, because I can only imagine the nasty injuries that lack of basic safety gear can/will contribute to, as well as resenting the fact that there are almost countless millions spent on treating such (un-necessary) injuries that we all pay for.
    Whilst I can see why the system has to be the way it is, it does not mean that I am happy about it. Perhaps if my 'premium' was reduced because I gear up, that would go some way towards easing my cringe reaction.
    but if we dont allow people to take unnesesary risk it is a slippery slope, (no gene-o-clean!) that sort of thinking has been adopted by the government with regard to motorcycling as a whole; bikes are too dangerous, lets make (well currently they are only at the strongly encorage stage) them take cars instead. And dropping premiums based on gear worn would be very hard to police, however it is about bloody time there was a motorcycle/scooter gear safety ad campaign run!

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Taylor View Post
    Well, some are lucky its not full blown user pays. When I see idiots riding around wearing little protective clothing Im thinking we are subsidiosing your recovery if you throw yourself down the road.........................tossers.
    Let's see if I have this straight:

Fact 1: If you have an accident while riding a bike with no protective gear you will sustain more and more serious injuries than with full protective gear.

Agreed.

Fact 2: If you have an accident while riding a bike (gear or not) you will sustain more and more serious injuries than while driving a car.

With this I also agree.

By your reasonong, as a direct concequence of fact 1 above, no gear - no ACC.

OK, given fact 2 above, why not deny ACC to ALL bikers because we did not take the reasonable precaution of driving a car instead?

The idea of denying ACC on the basis of not wearing protective gear (or any other action deemed to increase risk or severity of injury) is utterly ludicrous and will only lead to a cotton-wool society where bikes (among other things) are banned outright.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    FJR1300
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Conquiztador View Post
    So you are saying Day Glows, armour, $2K leathers and $1K helmets. And if not, no ACC?
    After all that you have to use up all you're sick pay and A/leave first.
    After all that you only get 70% for the first twelve mouths.
    After all that you only get 60% for the second twelve mouths.
    After all that you're a beneficiary now
    Oh PAY MORE GET LESS! or make it not worth it to most hard working people with 8 to 12 weeks Sick and A/L.
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post
    V-Stroms look like an accident in a heat pump factory.

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by swbarnett View Post
    OK, given fact 2 above, why not deny ACC to ALL bikers because we did not take the reasonable precaution of driving a car instead?
    Agree. The best protection a motorbike rider can wear is probably a metal cage, perhaps with a wheel in each corner to make it a bit more stable. Then of course you would have to have a five star ANCAP cage, not some shonky two star with only ten airbags. Where does it stop ?

Bike
    2007 Suzuki SV1000S K7
    Dunno if this is the right place to drop this but saw it on another forum and they got the nations attention.

http://ukfrancebikers.com/2010/03/14...gry-than-ever/

Especially liked their idea of the statement with the metro as an alternative means.
    Thought for the day: Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything but they're funny when they're pushed down the stairs. Also: Who picks up guide dog shit?

Bike
    2007 Suzuki SV1000S K7
    Thought for the day: Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything but they're funny when they're pushed down the stairs. Also: Who picks up guide dog shit?

Bike
    92 900ss
    Great articles from overseas. I think the one from Oz really drives the real underlying cause of all of this. The fact is, bikers are lumped in to the same group as smokers. They add no value whatsoever to society so it's okay to try and tax them out of existence. This will continue until we can achieve some recognition from the government & the community of the many positives associated with bike riding.

Some points in support
    - Motorcyclists are banned from filtering through traffic or using outside lanes because, supposedly, this is dangerous (compared to what I have to ask). No recognition whatsoever for the green benefits of motorcycling.
    - The company I work for has just achieved green building recognition. Part of this was the fact that over 200 spaces have been provided for cyclists. Guess how many points you get for providing motorcycle parking?

My view is that we need a strategy that looks to align us with the lycra brigade. The easiest way to do this is to steal one of their ideas. So how about a "Take your motorcycle to work" day? A perfect opportunity for us to get recognised for all the right reasons.

So what other things can be done to highlight the green aspect of motorcycling?

Oh, and one last thing. For me, Here are the protests that I will be pursuing around ACC levies.
    - I will not be paying the new fees. My bike rego will go on hold and stay on hold. If I am caught, I will refuse to pay. I will have my day in court. I will take every possible opportunity to clog the legal system on this issue. I will choose home detention, periodic detention, prison, anything other than supporting or acknowledging a system that I do not support.
    - I will eventually be swapping my safe, sensible 900cc bike for an R6 or ZX6. Much safer

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterE View Post
    Great articles from overseas. I think the one from Oz really drives the real underlying cause of all of this. The fact is, bikers are lumped in to the same group as smokers. They add no value whatsoever to society so it's okay to try and tax them out of existence. This will continue until we can achieve some recognition from the government & the community of the many positives associated with bike riding.

Some points in support
    - Motorcyclists are banned from filtering through traffic or using outside lanes because, supposedly, this is dangerous (compared to what I have to ask). No recognition whatsoever for the green benefits of motorcycling.
    - The company I work for has just achieved green building recognition. Part of this was the fact that over 200 spaces have been provided for cyclists. Guess how many points you get for providing motorcycle parking?

My view is that we need a strategy that looks to align us with the lycra brigade. The easiest way to do this is to steal one of their ideas. So how about a "Take your motorcycle to work" day? A perfect opportunity for us to get recognised for all the right reasons.

So what other things can be done to highlight the green aspect of motorcycling?

Oh, and one last thing. For me, Here are the protests that I will be pursuing around ACC levies.
    - I will not be paying the new fees. My bike rego will go on hold and stay on hold. If I am caught, I will refuse to pay. I will have my day in court. I will take every possible opportunity to clog the legal system on this issue. I will choose home detention, periodic detention, prison, anything other than supporting or acknowledging a system that I do not support.
    - I will eventually be swapping my safe, sensible 900cc bike for an R6 or ZX6. Much safer
    All good points, cept the take motorcycle to work day, don't we all do that already who would take anything else when they can ride!

Ixion hinted at another protest when the changes come into effect, perhaps a number-plate-less protest? or one that focuses on the greener aspects of biking?

The platelss protest would show that if 1 in 3 riders of over 600cc bikes and 1 in 4 of those under 600cc stopped registering their bikes ACC would not have any increase in revenue, while still having the same payout costs.

Bike
    A bleck one.
    The company I work for has just achieved green building recognition. Part of this was the fact that over 200 spaces have been provided for cyclists. Guess how many points you get for providing motorcycle parking?
    Companies need to stop buying into this money spinning bullshit invented by the extreme left. I avoid anyone that says they're 'carbon neutral' on principle.

My view is that we need a strategy that looks to align us with the lycra brigade.
    Fuck no. I refuse to be associated with those wankstain cretins in any way whatsoever.
    This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my signature is useless. Without my signature, I am useless.

The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    All good points, cept the take motorcycle to work day, don't we all do that already who would take anything else when they can ride!

Ixion hinted at another protest when the changes come into effect, perhaps a number-plate-less protest? or one that focuses on the greener aspects of biking?

The platelss protest would show that if 1 in 3 riders of over 600cc bikes and 1 in 4 of those under 600cc stopped registering their bikes ACC would not have any increase in revenue, while still having the same payout costs.
    BRONZ tried doing the "Ride to Work" day a couple of years, but we gave it up because it didn't make any difference. By and large bikers do ride to work, those that don't it's because they can't

Input is actively solicted for a 'gimmick' or theme for the protest at the end of June.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    various
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    BRONZ tried doing the "Ride to Work" day a couple of years, but we gave it up because it didn't make any difference. By and large bikers do ride to work, those that don't it's because they can't

Input is actively solicted for a 'gimmick' or theme for the protest at the end of June.
    Agree re the "ride2work" idea. I can very seldom ride the bike to work. Thou when I can I do. But when I travel to a conference or meeting around the country I almost each time ride. I could fly but that is soo boring. Or I could use the car but that is so slow...

May the bridges I burn light the way.

Follow Vinny's MX racing on www.mxvinny.com

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    Not sure how long that would last before the rules change and there would be no cover if you hadn't paid your levy.

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    Not sure how long that would last before the rules change and there would be no cover if you hadn't paid your levy.
    which totally undermines the scheme (even further) as its about accident compensation for everybody, if bikers get refused care for not paying, do cyclists as well? they are injured at the same place, they don't pay anything, why could one get compensation and not the other. I think a more likely scenario is huge fines for no rego. However I feel we are close approaching the point of mass civil disobedience, they haven't listened to reason, we wont back down, what other options will we have?

Thread Information