Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Danseys Pass on a street bike?

Bike
    2005 Honda CB1300

Danseys Pass on a street bike?

Hey guys - just wondering if anyone knows the Danseys Pass area? I'm off down Central way in April and looking for a different part of the SI to explore but can't see the good old Google street view for this area . . . Is that a bad sign for a street bike?
    Thanks
    Never try and teach a pig to sing: it's a waste of time, and it annoys the pig. --Robert A. Heinlein .

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Have done it in the dead of winter on a GS1100 Suzuki without too much bother. There arn't any guard rails, and there are some quite high drop-offs so you need to be a bit judicious when cornering. Mostly gravel if that doesn't bother you. Which end are you coming in from - Kurow or Naseby?
    It is on Google maps - find Naseby and zoom in from there
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    2007 KLR 650 ( The original Model )
    Quote Originally Posted by crash99 View Post
    Hey guys - just wondering if anyone knows the Danseys Pass area? I'm off down Central way in April and looking for a different part of the SI to explore but can't see the good old Google street view for this area . . . Is that a bad sign for a street bike?
    Thanks
    No problem on a street bike. just don't be a hero on the corners, it's a LLOOOOOONNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGG way to the bottom if you get it wrong :-)

cheers, Stu
    My KLR thinks it's a Hyundai - running happily at the red-line hour after hour.....

Bike
    2005 Honda CB1300
    Thanks Pete - gravel? Hmm, thought so - not my favourite surface. Its alright for you adventure dudes! ;-)
    Never try and teach a pig to sing: it's a waste of time, and it annoys the pig. --Robert A. Heinlein .

Bike
    2005 Honda CB1300
    Thanks Stu - there won't be no hero corners from this one! Pete (another KLR650 rider - is there something about KLR 650s and Danseys pass?!) mentioned it is a lot of gravel and that aint my favourite surface . . . Cheers for the advice.

Bike
    the mighty fzr and gsxr
    Thanks Stu - there won't be no hero corners from this one! Pete (another KLR650 rider - is there something about KLR 650s and Danseys pass?!) mentioned it is a lot of gravel and that aint my favourite surface . . . Cheers for the advice.
    Na mate you should be right i did it yaer ago twice on my cb900 i had.
    Just take your time and watch for idiots coming the other way.
    The worst bit is just off the top on the nasby side of the top it is quite tight and can have loose gravel but not a long stretch and the rest is a good road.
    winding up stucky since ages ago

Bike
    2005 Honda CB1300
    Cheers kiwi, I'll see how it goes.

Bike
    Road King
    Blog Entries
    Not really a bike story but....

We had been hunting down in central otago a couple of years ago in the middle of winter, and well it snowed like hell. We were in my big trusty V8 Landrover Defender and came back to Christchurch over Danseys going north. On the last steep stony bit just before the top we had to lock the dif's becaue we were wheel spinning and I was concerned that we might skid off the road. Got to the top and what did we find, a small rental barina-civic with 4 asian tourists up there making snow men. My hunting buddy and I were completely stunned that a small front wheel drive 'mini' car was able to make it up there, in the snow in the middle of winter. Looked at my hell landrover and we both joked about trading it in on a say a Toyota Starlett.
    We had a cook up for lunch and the asian's left heading north, we both fully expected to be pulling them out of a ditch or worse on the way down. We never saw them again.

Bike
    2006 BMW f650GS
    Quote Originally Posted by Flip View Post

We had a cook up for lunch and the asian's left heading north, we both fully expected to be pulling them out of a ditch or worse on the way down. No-one ever saw them again.
    As RedKlR said it's a long way down
    They called it paradise, I don't know why.
    Call someplace paradise, kiss it goodbye.

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    Thanks
    No problem for a street bike. I've been over on a 1974 GT380, more than a few times on the RE5, a couple of times on a GT750, once on a katana (wire wheel), once on a GS1200SS, and I've lost count of how many times on the VStrom. Its just under 40 km of gravel and not too bad. It can be a bit corrogated on the southern side of the pass, and the road is narrow. But overall not a difficult ride.
    Time to ride

Bike
    R100GSPD
    Quote Originally Posted by Flip View Post

We had been hunting down in central otago a couple of years ago in the middle of winter, and well it snowed like hell. We were in my big trusty V8 Landrover Defender and came back to Christchurch over Danseys going north. On the last steep stony bit just before the top we had to lock the dif's becaue we were wheel spinning and I was concerned that we might skid off the road. Got to the top and what did we find, a small rental barina-civic with 4 asian tourists up there making snow men. My hunting buddy and I were completely stunned that a small front wheel drive 'mini' car was able to make it up there, in the snow in the middle of winter. Looked at my hell landrover and we both joked about trading it in on a say a Toyota Starlett.
    We had a cook up for lunch and the asian's left heading north, we both fully expected to be pulling them out of a ditch or worse on the way down. We never saw them again.
    Same thing happened to me part way between ocean Beach and Orongorongos.Chinese Tourists in a toyota caldina station wagon were intent on getting to Wainuiomata.

Bike
    Sold
    Thanks
    Easy peasy, just watch out for stock and other traffic coming the other way! Stacks of sports bikes go through there!

I live just up the road, go through all the time, enjoy your ride.

Bike
    2005 Honda CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by Jantar View Post
    No problem for a street bike. I've been over on a 1974 GT380, more than a few times on the RE5, a couple of times on a GT750, once on a katana (wire wheel), once on a GS1200SS, and I've lost count of how many times on the VStrom. Its just under 40 km of gravel and not too bad. It can be a bit corrogated on the southern side of the pass, and the road is narrow. But overall not a difficult ride.
    Mate - thats a great collection of bikes youve had/have!
    Thansk for the reply Jantar.
    Cheers

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Mate - thats a great collection of bikes youve had/have!
    Thansk for the reply Jantar.
    Cheers
    One of my threads I did a while back was on the Dansey's pass trip I did in a work cage ... with photo's. Check it out ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    The worst bit is leaving the bar at the Dansey's pub ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Thread Information