Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Can I pay my registration early and AVOID the new fees?

Bike
    Honda CBX 400 F 1987
    Quote Originally Posted by sinfull View Post
    Rego runs out this week so hmmmm 3 months might be the go and then 15 months in june !
    An earlier post said that the new rules apply from 1st July, and if your registration now runs out after that, then you will be charged the new rate from 1st July - too late now.

I bought 15 months in December when the rate hadn't been approved, nor an effective date fixed, so got the whole 15 at the old rate - through to March 2011. yeah !!

I had hoped to do it again just before the new date, but it would appear that I now can't.

The MR27 forms were available at me local AA licence renewal depot. ( Kerikeri )

Bike
    A few
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSp33db1rd View Post
    An earlier post said that the new rules apply from 1st July, and if your registration now runs out after that, then you will be charged the new rate from 1st July - too late now.

I bought 15 months in December when the rate hadn't been approved, nor an effective date fixed, so got the whole 15 at the old rate - through to March 2011. yeah !!

I had hoped to do it again just before the new date, but it would appear that I now can't.

The MR27 forms were available at me local AA licence renewal depot. ( Kerikeri )
    1st july 2010 aint they coming in ? so if i reg it for a couple of months it runs out before then !
    A girlfriend once asked " Why is it you seem to prefer to race, than spend time with me ?"
    The answer was simple ! "I'll prolly get bored with racing too, once i've nailed it !"

Bowls can wait !

Bike
    Kawasaki ZX10R 2006
    My registration was due to expire on 15th April 2010. Rather than pay the 12 months, today I used a MR27 form to extend my registration only 2 months, opting for the date 28th June 2010. $71 for 2 months.

When that comes up for renewal in June. I'll use the MR27 form again, and extend it for the maximum 15 months which will be Sept 2011. Maximum bang for buck!

The lady behind the counter in the post office / kiwi bank was very helpful, she sort of wanted to help me screw their own system.

Thanks for the info guys. This thread has saved me hundreds of $.

Bike
    GSX-R 750 Y
    Quote Originally Posted by NakiNinja View Post
    $71 for 2 months.
    How?

I've been to NZPost, AA, and VTNZ this-morning and they all said you ca'nt renew by only 2 months (even with the MR27).........

I hope you did'nt have me going all over the place because of phony information!

Can anyone confirm this or do these staff members not know what they're on about?
    Cats land on their feet. Toast lands jamside down.
    A cat glued to some jam toast will hover in quantum indecision

Curiosity was framed; ignorance killed the cat

Fix a computer and it'll break tomorrow.
    Teach its owner to fix it and it'll break in some way you've never seen before.

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    I have a suspicion that the shortest rego period is 3 months. For less than that, you need a particular form AND have a certain type of rego....ie for a vintage bike.
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    Dog Rooter
    I went into NZ Post today and asked for the form to extend my rego for three months. I have form MR27 - Application to Change Licence Expiry Date (a green form) in front of me. The note on the front reads:

"The new license expiry date cannot be prior to the current license expiry date or more than 15 months from the date of application". Nothing there to state a three month minimum extension, so why not 2 months if required? But it is certainly no refunds based on this form, although there may be another way to do that if you are going to keep it off the road, of course

They told me there was another form for anything over three months and gave me that one as well, just in case. It is form MR1B (a pink form), and note 4 says the minimum license period is 3 months. That's probably where that number comes from.

Sadly my rego runs out in August (buggeration) so I think the best I can do is the three month extension using MR27. I'll give that a crack and report back if I find that doesn't work.

Cheers - Chasio

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    Quote Originally Posted by chasio View Post
    They told me there was another form for anything over three months and gave me that one as well, just in case. It is form MR1B (a pink form), and note 4 says the minimum license period is 3 months. That's probably where that number comes from.
    The rego reminder form that gets posted shows rego renewal minimum as 3 months. Apart from the vintage bike rego (which has different rules...such as being able to rego for days at a time) I assume that because the minimum period you can put a rego on hold is 3 months, then that would be the minimum for renewal purposes as well.
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    2011 BMW F650GS
    In early February 2010 I took my DRZ 250 off rego hold and registered it for 19 days as I needed it to be legal for a particular road trip. I used the MR27 form at my local VTNZ branch. Total rego cost $25.60.

The DRZ is a standard road registered motorcycle, not vintage or farm.

The standard issued computerised renewal form has a minimum renewal period of 3 months. But the manual MR27 form lets you renew for a very short period (I think a minimum of a couple of days) or to a maximum of 15 months ahead.

Having completed my road trip the rego is now back on hold for the next three months.

The whole process took no time at all at my local VTNZ.

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    I think you are all getting too complicated.

Today is 12/04/10.

Go to AA/VTNZ , get MR27 (green form) . Fill it in with new expiry of 11/07/2011 (15 months from date of form).

The cost will be, whatever period it is from your PRESENT rego expiry date till 11.07/2011 at the OLD rates (ie if your present expiry was 11/01/2011 the you would pay 6months rego at the OLD rates). It's not quite exactly arithmetical, because there's an administration fee of about $6 that gets charged regardless of the period.

You now have a bike registed to July 2011, at the odl rates. If you wanted to you could either wait and do this as near as possible to the rate changeover date. Or do it now and in a months time or so do it again and grab the extra month. The trick is there's a gotcha on the timing, I think the changeover date for the new rates is slightly different.

I did this just last week, and it was easy. Checked the arithmetic and I definately only paid the old rates.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Im not paying anything !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its all free from here on in.....Rego/Gas/Money im stealing the lot !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Crazy Steve.

Bike
    black and blue
    If they are telling you you can't register for shorter periods they are either ignorant or hate motorcyclists... the law is the same for all vehicles ( unless National has made a special case for bikes)
    I know a "financially challenged" person who regularly registers her car for two weeks or a month at a time...
    "In politics, nothing happens by accident. If it happens, you can bet it was planned that way."
    Franklin D. Roosevelt

Bike
    Dog Rooter
    The counter staff don’t seem to know about form MR27, presumably because it is rarely used. But today I added 3 months to my rego for $86. It is basically a piece of cake, but you may have to educate the staff a bit about the fact that it is possible.

So, assuming you are going to keep your bike registered, what should you do with your rego in order to minimise your costs and hopefully annoy the ACC a bit?

I believe the options break down as follows (best endeavours here):

1) If your rego expires after mid-June: Use form MR1B to buy 12 months on expiry and use form MR27 to extend to 15 months. Be sure to do this by 30th June. Both steps can be done in one visit to NZ Post / AA, as far as I know.

2) If the rego expires between now and mid-June: use form MR27 to extend to 30th June 2010. Remember to go back before Wednesday 30th June to buy 15 months using form MR1B plus MR27 (as in option 1). This is the longest you can put off the hit.

3) Rego expires on or after 1st July: best you can do is to use form MR27 to extend to 15 months. This may mean adding 3 months (if you bought 12 months last time) or 9 months (if your current rego is only for 6).

Note: I can’t be arsed to do the maths on when cost of the admin fee (about $7) makes a short term extension to the end of June uneconomic, but given the aggro involved as well, mid-June seems near enough for rock and roll.

Cheers - Chasio

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Well, I reckon the best I can do, since rego expires well into the new fee period, is to sell the 650 and buy a 599cc bike.

This way, it'll be much safer for me. ACC told me so. Swapping 72-ish hp for 120-ish hp makes a lot of sense! (Well, it does to me anyway...)
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    Dog Rooter
    Silly me, that is a very good point indeed. I should downgrade my dangerous 47hp dual purpose bike to a much safer super sports 600 as soon as I can find some spare money. Maybe I can sell the idea to Mrs Chasio more easily since it is for my own safety...?

Bike
    B12
    Anyone care to enlighten some of us how to do the register as a farm bike thing?

My bike looks so rough i could pull it off...
    Quote Originally Posted by NinjaNanna View Post
    Wasn't me officer, honest, it was that morcs guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Littleman View Post
    Yeah I do recall, but dismissed it as being you when I saw both wheels on the ground.
    Quote Originally Posted by R6_kid View Post
    lulz, ever ridden a TL1000R? More to the point, ever ridden with teh Morcs? Didn't fink so.

Thread Information