Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Blipping, tell me why I am wrong

Bike
    Sportster
    Blog Entries
    Seems to me the type of bike you are riding makes a difference too.

I 'blipped' the SV - sounded cool

I can't recall 'blipping' the DR. 650 Single doesn't seem to need it. Just use the clutch and change the bastard down LOL

Changing gear by feel rather than by some racers idea of what is right.

Bike
    1997 Honda VTR1000F Firestorm
    Quote Originally Posted by wysper View Post
    Seems to me the type of bike you are riding makes a difference too.

I 'blipped' the SV - sounded cool

I can't recall 'blipping' the DR. 650 Single doesn't seem to need it. Just use the clutch and change the bastard down LOL

Changing gear by feel rather than by some racers idea of what is right.
    Thats true- blipping a V-twin is the most fun you can have with your clothes on.
    The one thing man learns from history is that man does not learn from history
    Calvin and Hobbes: The surest sign of intelligent life out there is that it has not tried to contact us.
    Its easier to apologise than ask for permission.
    Wise words:
    Quote Originally Posted by quickbuck View Post
    It could be that I have one years experience repeated 33 times!

Bike
    My experience is that some bikes it works, others no difference, but its more fun to do :-)

Bike
    2008 V-Strom 1000
    Quote Originally Posted by R-Soul View Post
    Thats true- blipping a V-twin is the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

Bike
    2000 Aprilia RSV Mille,
    You boys need to get out more...
    "I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it." -- Erwin Schrodinger talking about quantum mechanics.

Bike
    2008 V-Strom 1000
    Quote Originally Posted by schrodingers cat View Post
    You boys need to get out more...

Bike
    Hey simple things amuse simple minds OK?
    Calvin and Hobbes: The surest sign of intelligent life out there is that it has not tried to contact us.
    Wise words:

Bike
    Hey simple things amuse simple minds OK?
    Easily pleased sounds nicer

Bike
    bandit
    Quote Originally Posted by phiretrojan View Post
    Popping the clutch when shifting to a lower gear doesn't "lock up" the rear tire unless you've managed to kill the engine in the processes. It may cause the rear tire to temporarily slide, since it could be spinning slower than the road speed, but that is different than being locked. And it's not the sort of thing that is likely to cause a high-side like locking the rear tire with the brake and then releasing it. Still, it will cause the rear to slide around for a second or two, which can cause a bit of nervousness in an inexperienced rider and could cause you to go down if done while in a turn.

let's say that in 3rd gear at a given speed your engine is running at 3000 rpms and in 2nd gear it's running at 4000 rpms at the same speed. If you quickly downshift and let the clutch out without attempting to match engine speed, your engine is still at 3000 rpms but the rear tire wants it to be at 4000. The rear tire can slide until it speeds the engine up to 4000 rpms to match the road speed.

However, if you blip the throttle to get the engine up to 4000 rpms before letting the clutch back out, you're now at the right speed and all will be smooth when you complete the shift.

You don't have to hit 4000 rpms exactly, either. If you're close when you let the clutch back out the rear tire only needs to make the engine change speed by a tiny bit, which shouldn't upset your traction.

The alternative is to let the clutch out slowly, which will also get the engine up to speed without upsetting the rear tire, but that causes more wear on your clutch. Still, it's probably the best choice for a new rider until you get the hang of matching engine speed during downshifts.

It should also be noted, that a downshift that makes your engine go from 1500 rpms to 2000 rpms is much less upsetting to the rear tire than a downshift that makes your engine go from 6000 rpms to 8000 rpms. In other words, if you downshift at low engine speeds, you're pretty safe. If you do it at high engine speeds, you need to match speeds for smooth downshifts.
    Jeez .. that's too much to think about on the road ... I don't watch the rev counter to match engine speeds ... just let the engine braking help slow down ...

Yous guys need to ride more ... do what comes naturally ... it flows better that way ...
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
    Easily pleased sounds nicer
    Yup easily pleased by ear candy...
    Wise words:

Bike
    2009 Harley Nighster

Definate Blipper

makes for a nice smooth gear change, and sounds good on the Harley too!

Bike
    Dog Rooter
    I've been converted to blipping and that's on a 650 single based on the mighty DR.

I found it even more useful after I changed the rear from a Tourance to a Mitas E-07 (more akin to an off-road tyre) as it skips across tarmac much more than the Tourance used to, unless I blip.

Thread Information