Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thompsons track

Bike
    Orange ones! (and a few others...)

Thompsons track

Thompsons track runs from just south of Te aroha over the Kaimais to near Tauranga (about 35kms long) and I'm after some info about it.
    I rode up the Te Aroha side on saturday on the adventure bike and that was all fairly straight forward but I only hear horror stories about the Tauranga side. I didn't go down there as I was on bald knobblies and visibility was about 2 meters (low cloud). Seeing as a couple of us want to do the whole track on adventure bikes I'm after any personal experiences riding it, I've heard all the horror stories but would like something from someones actual experience.

Anyone ridden there??

Bike
    Tyre Shredder
    A mate and I did it (tried) on KX125's years ago. 1st time up to the top and back, then 2nd time we decided to go the whole way. Got about 15 - 20 mins down the other side , slow going and the puddles/mud bogs were getting bigger and bigger. Mates bike fouled a plug so we left (I towed him out). IMO you need a bike you can straddle without tippy toes and are comfortable on when things get a bit pear shaped (ie you need to be able to manhandle it etc). From what I remember the top part of the Tauranga side had lots of rocky surfaces in the corners etc so if you can make it down to a certain point, making it back wasn't too much harder.

The worst part was we came back to the ute to find it had been broken into and ripped off. My new phone and wallet were gone. Lucky I was broke at the time =D

Bike
    300EXC
    Sounds like a wicked track. Keen to hit it up

Bike
    sv1000k7 & crf450r
    It is only the last part near the end of the Tauranga side that gets difficult due to the large deep holes. If you are coming from the Waikato side then keep going until you feel you wont get back. It may suprize you and you get all the way. At this time of year it is generally good as the clay and rocky climbs out of the holes can be achived.

Bike
    gg450 gg300
    Yeah go for it.I'll be a hard ask on an adventure bike.DO NOT go alone and take a tow/retrieving rope .

Bike
    Orange ones! (and a few others...)
    Thanks for the replies guys, pretty much confirms my expectations, I shall round up a small group of suitable fools and have a go then.....(best leave the BMW's at home)

Vazza, you would enjoy it in winter, some guys I have spoken too talk about mud bogs that swallow bikes whole, not for me on 160kgs of 640 Adventure!

Bike
    06 scrambler,xrl,
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Crisis management View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys, pretty much confirms my expectations, I shall round up a small group of suitable fools and have a go then.....(best leave the BMW's at home)
    Reporting for duty Mr Mannering.
    Got the SkyTeam200 just about ready to beat up. (if it fails miserably, then it can stay there).
    Could o/night at chez tri boys then trailer the bikes to Te Aroha in the morning.
    Find two more fools, and we have the makings of a mad hatters tea party.

Bike
    GG 300 SD 10
    Quote Originally Posted by Crisis management View Post

Vazza, you would enjoy it in winter, some guys I have spoken too talk about mud bogs that swallow bikes whole, not for me on 160kgs of 640 Adventure!
    I think Daf and Xen would be keen? 4 or 5 bikes would be the makings of a fun day out!

Bike
    04 KTM 640, 05 FE450
    When?

I might just be fool enough. Need to give the bike a bit of TLC first, as it has a few bruises at present.

Bike
    hopefully bringing something back to NZ
    rupe and i where thinking of heading down at some point after easter
    [SIGPIC][/SIG

Bike
    RMX250 rebuiding...
    Did a search on YouTube and got an idea of what the track looks like, it seems popular with the 4wd fraternity...and yea those holes look big!
    Have a friend down in Te Aroha who lives 2 minutes up the road from the start of the track, which would make a great safe parking place for a day up the in the mountains, when the RMX is on the road it will def be on the cards.

Bike
    2001 R1150GS
    i did it on my old DR500 in the 80s i'l be keen on the XR
    'Good things come to those who wait'
    Bollocks, get of your arse and go get it

Bike
    Ok so we are lookin at heading down on Anzac weekend as i wont have my kids that weekend
    [SIGPIC][/SIG

Bike
    BMW F650 Hoonda GB500 KTM525 sixdays
    Quote Originally Posted by barty5 View Post
    Ok so we are lookin at heading down on Anzac weekend as i wont have my kids that weekend
    So- if you go on sunday me and a mate will be keen. and Im sure that I can get Daf aand Xen allong on that day. On the Saturday we have a big adventure -off road event happening in waihi that is a 'not to be missed' event The Anaconda Adventure race.
    Retired- just some guy with a few bikes......

Bike
    ok will let you know
    [SIGPIC][/SIG

Thread Information