Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: The Maungatapu Diaries

Bike
    Husqvarna 701E - WR250F - Can Am 500

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    Its only closed to cars . Motorcycles don't count.
    I like that mans way of thinking

I mostly have a similar line of thought. eg... the road is only closed if you cant make another track around the barriers
    Here for a good time, not necessarily a long time

Bike
    XT660R / TTR250 / 2 old Montesa's
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    Its only closed to cars . Motorcycles don't count.

If ony the cops thought that way...I'm

Bike
    KTM 2T & LC4
    Quote Originally Posted by pete-blen View Post
    If ony the cops thought that way...I'm
    Cops not involved. It's a private road, the council is tired of the 4wds ripping it up, and understand bikes don't do the damage. They have gone out of their to enable bikes to continue using it, and other reserves like Linton Hill.
    Cheers,
    Colin

Quote Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
    All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.

Bike
    KTM 690 Enduro

Access update?

Hi Fran,

We hope to be passing through Nelson between Christmas and New Year. Can you update the access issues and track conditions please.

Thanks

Ken

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    From the Nelson end, you've got to go in via Sharlands Creek up to the Teal Lookout over the dam and then down to the caretakers as the Maitai Rd is gated off at Smiths Ford bridge.

Bike
    91 R80GS
    I would suggest if anyone is wanting to ride the Maungatapu but are now unsure of how to get there from Nelson they post up here or in the Nelson rideouts thread & someone could volunteer to guide them thru the forest roads around the closed portion of the Maitai road.

There is always a toll tho.
    Mondays to Fridays chocolate fish, Weekends licorice allsorts
    In life as in dance Grace glides on blistered feet

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    And Linton Hill is normally part of the ride : D

Bike
    KTM 690 Enduro
    Thanks Guys,

We are a group of four from Christchurch starting our ride on Boxing Day. Our "plan" (subject to all the usual weather, bike issues, ...) is to go through the Maungatapu from the Nelson side on Saturday 31 Dec. It would be great to have some help to at least get us to the Caretakers place.

If there is a volunteer, would they please PM me with a phone contact.

Cheers,

Ken

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    The track hasn't deteriorated since sunday...

Just been up to check it out tonight...

Bike
    2012 Tenere 660
    Awesome track, I wrote my GS1150 off on it last November...some gnarly bits on the skeet but huge amount of fun. My off was lack of experience and not so much the track but still rider beware...or be aware!!

Bike
    KTM 690 Enduro

Maungatapu guide?

"I would suggest if anyone is wanting to ride the Maungatapu but are now unsure of how to get there from Nelson they post up here or in the Nelson rideouts thread & someone could volunteer to guide them thru the forest roads around the closed portion of the Maitai road."

Hi Fran,

I missed catching up with you at the DB1K but had a good chat with Craig.

Grant and I are going to try to finish off our Boxing Day ride this weekend, going up the Rainbow, Porika / Braeburn and then pointing ourselves to Mapua via bits and pieces. On Sunday we'd like to get over the Maungatapu and then Taylors Pass / Molesworth for home.

Are you around and available to lead us around the Maitai closure on Sunday? If not, can you maybe suggest someone else to contact?

Thanks

Ken

Bike
    91 R80GS
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenb View Post
    "I would suggest if anyone is wanting to ride the Maungatapu but are now unsure of how to get there from Nelson they post up here or in the Nelson rideouts thread & someone could volunteer to guide them thru the forest roads around the closed portion of the Maitai road."

Hi Fran,

I missed catching up with you at the DB1K but had a good chat with Craig.

Grant and I are going to try to finish off our Boxing Day ride this weekend, going up the Rainbow, Porika / Braeburn and then pointing ourselves to Mapua via bits and pieces. On Sunday we'd like to get over the Maungatapu and then Taylors Pass / Molesworth for home.

Are you around and available to lead us around the Maitai closure on Sunday? If not, can you maybe suggest someone else to contact?

Thanks

Ken
    Unfortuantely I will be over port Underwood for the weekend so it may be up to Nordie or another NAD.
    BTW you realise weekends are licorice allsorts
    In life as in dance Grace glides on blistered feet

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenb View Post
    Should be no problem.

The cool thing about the ride to the start of the Maungatapu is it can be as easy or gnarly as you want

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Nearly 2 1/2 years of "temporary closure" now...

Quote Originally Posted by NCC
    Maungatapu Track closed to assess damage

Posted by Nelson City Council on 27 October 2009

Following the weekend tragedy along the Maungatapu Track, Council is temporarily closing the through road (Nelson-Pelorous) to all traffic to assess damage caused to the road in the rescue and recent wet weather.

Large rescue vehicles were involved in a fatal 4WD accident on the track on Saturday night and heavy rain fell both before and after the incident.

Senior Executive Technical Services, Alec Louverdis, says it's unclear how long the temporary closure will be for, but with the current wet conditions, it could be some time.

Council is erecting temporary closure signage at the entrance to the road and will advise the public when it is reopened. The Marlborough District Council has also been contacted to introduce a closure to the road from its end.

The public is asked to be patient during this temporary closure

Bike
    KTM 690 Enduro
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    Should be no problem.

The cool thing about the ride to the start of the Maungatapu is it can be as easy or gnarly as you want

Thanks Fran and I got your PM

Thread Information