Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Position in seat?

Bike
    A naked monster - just like me.
    Quote Originally Posted by BiK3RChiK View Post
    This is new to me... I've always hugged the tank.

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by DangerousBastard View Post
    There is little or no point developing our own riding style from scratch and then embedding it into habit over a year or two, when we can simply nick someone elses' more experienced one and go away and rehearse it.

Steve
    The trouble with inexperienced riders filling up their brains with too much theory in too short a time is that when it comes to the crunch the brain cannot process all the information that it has fast enough.

That's why riding skills need to be learned gradually if they are ever to have the chance of becoming instinctive.

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Didn't know there was set rule as to where you should sit on ya bike?
    At times I am balls to tank, other times I slide back a bit, depends on the mode...

Bike
    2010 Hyosung GT250R
    Quote Originally Posted by Tank View Post
    Hopefully it makes up for all those balls people are pressing against you, eh?

Bike
    Speed Triple
    This thread is insane.

Only time I consciously consider my arse is when it gets sore, then I move it somewhere it isn't quite so sore....until it gets sore again, at which time I do another little shuffle.

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by Headbanger View Post
    This thread is insane.

Only time I consciously consider my arse is when it gets sore, then I move it somewhere it isn't quite so sore....until it gets sore again, at which time I do another little shuffle.
    Basically what I was saying.
    Some things can be over analysed

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    I'm surprised p.dath hasn't made it a Wiki topic yet.

Bike
    1997 Honda VTR1000F Firestorm
    Quote Originally Posted by Crisis management View Post
    Sounds sensible, enjoy!

If you really want to learn how to ride a road bike tho, sell the one you have and buy a road legal trail bike and ride in the dirt.
    It does give you more confidence if your back wheel steps out of line, but is not always the way to go. I just recently had a cousin come over to visit. He has cut his teeth on trail bikes, is avery experienced rider, rides a KTM 950 Super Enduro , and was still using trail bike technique to go around corners on tar at 200km/hr - and he was wondering why his traction was rubbish...

When I say trail bike technique, I mean leaning your body in an opposite direction to the turn, and sticking a leg out. But not necessarily breaking traction by powering on.

The way I see (and correct me if I am wrong), trail bike technique is for relatively low speed corners where you lean the bike over in an effort to reduce the turning circle, and to encourage the breaking of traction to swing the direction of the bike around to exit the corner with strong acceleration- NOT something you want to do on a fast tar road. Sure the supermoto riders do it that way, but they actually spin their wheeels into a corner on purpose to assist their bike in changing direction. It takes a lot of guts and skill (and stupidity) to attempt that at speed on the road....
    The one thing man learns from history is that man does not learn from history
    Calvin and Hobbes: The surest sign of intelligent life out there is that it has not tried to contact us.
    Its easier to apologise than ask for permission.
    Wise words:
    Quote Originally Posted by quickbuck View Post
    It could be that I have one years experience repeated 33 times!

Bike
    A few
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I'm surprised p.dath hasn't made it a Wiki topic yet.
    He's thinking it over ! Or emailing someone in the UK about it !
    A girlfriend once asked " Why is it you seem to prefer to race, than spend time with me ?"
    The answer was simple ! "I'll prolly get bored with racing too, once i've nailed it !"

Bowls can wait !

Bike
    77' CB750 Cafe Racer, 2009 Z750
    Theres a lot worse threads around, a new rider asking for advise on how to stop sliding around in the seat isn't that outrageous, daft or even overthinking it.
    I love the smell of twin V16's in the morning..

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by jonbuoy View Post
    Theres a lot worse threads around, a new rider asking for advise on how to stop sliding around in the seat isn't that outrageous, daft or even overthinking it.
    Refer post #34

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    Refer post #34
    If hes not gripping the tank or using his feet for bracing he won't have to be braking particularly hard at the end of a motorway or on a steep down hill to be sliding forward in the seat, especially if he made the schoolboy error of using armour all or plastic polish on the seat or tank sides - which sounds like a possibility.

Bike
    A few
    Quote Originally Posted by jonbuoy View Post
    If hes not gripping the tank or using his feet for bracing he won't have to be braking particularly hard at the end of a motorway or on a steep down hill to be sliding forward in the seat, especially if he made the schoolboy error of using armour all or plastic polish on the seat or tank sides - which sounds like a possibility.
    Have you read "the pace" ?
    A girlfriend once asked " Why is it you seem to prefer to race, than spend time with me ?"
    The answer was simple ! "I'll prolly get bored with racing too, once i've nailed it !"

Bowls can wait !

Bike
    2010 Hyosung GT250R
    Should probably clarify a few things here.

1. I grip using my knees and my heels.

2. I am familiar with "the pace": my riding bible is Nick Ienatsch's Sport Riding Techniques. I'm not hurling myself into corners as hot as the bike can go, threshhold braking down to the tip-in point, and then coming on here to complain about sliding forward. I have the problem when cruising in 50kph zones, throttle open, no brakes. No matter how hard I grip the tank, I slide forward until my knees butt into the corners of the fairings, which isn't particularly comfortable. Braking, even mildly, just exacerbates the problem. This, however, leads to point three.

3. Yes, I did use polish on the sides of the tank. Bit of a facepalm in retrospect. At least I'm not dumb enough to armor-all the seat

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by sinfull View Post
    Have you read "the pace" ?
    Yes - I started a thread a few years ago asking if anyone was interested in Pace rides, at the time there was very little interest and it was lost in the most bins wins threads. I use Nick Ienatsch Sport riding techniques as my bible, I still re-read as there is only so much you can take in at a time. The best bit of advise any newbie could get is to ignore all the bollocks and bravado on KB and buy a copy.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...ntash-The-Pace

Thread Information