Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Race start technique?

Bike
    I just lost count

Question Race start technique?

Ok I have been having a bit of a shit time with my starts, and as there are so many bike lapping at about the same pace at Mt Welly at the moment this is causing me some issues as any spots I lose off the start are just really hard work to make up durring the race.

Anyone got any advise. Not sure if it is just some slow arse reaction times on my part, or if I am just doing it wrong. I ride the clutch just short of the point of it grabing till the flagg drops and then let it out, surly there cant be much more to it?

For the record Qkkid was in my bed, not the other way round

Quote Originally Posted by Yow Ling View Post
    Pumba is a wise man.

Bike
    FXR150, ZXR400, Hyosung GT650 Comet
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumba View Post
    Ok I have been having a bit of a shit time with my starts, and as there are so many bike lapping at about the same pace at Mt Welly at the moment this is causing me some issues as any spots I lose off the start are just really hard work to make up durring the race.

Anyone got any advise. Not sure if it is just some slow arse reaction times on my part, or if I am just doing it wrong. I ride the clutch just short of the point of it grabing till the flagg drops and then let it out, surly there cant be much more to it?
    Reaction time makes up a big part of getting off the line quick. I lean right forward and let the clutch out to a point where its starting to grab and have the revs moving between 7,000 and 10,000 rpm then wait for the lights to go out. Once off make a quick change into second gear and open the old girl up.
    It's worked pretty well so far.
    Good luck
    I love my Bucket.

Bike
    FXR150 Bucket, RM125
    Depends on your gearing too. I have an 11 tooth front sprocket on my FXR and a stock rear (47 or 49 or something) and I have to start in 2nd gear now, first is just too short. Also little dudes make it easier work on the motor. A good example is Dani Pedrosa in MotoGP. How often does that dude get mint starts? Pretty much every race. Depends on how much clutch you use, how high you can keep your revs and how low you can keep your front wheel. Some people do have a talent for good starts too, and some just don't. Cal Crutchlow from WSBK sucks ass most of the time. Haga from WSBK can hit top 3 from 11th on the grid (which he has done a few times). Practice practice practice haha. Oh and go hard on the brakes into turn 1 on cold tyres. I'm not a pro at all, just what I have noticed.

Bike
    gp125 rg50 rs125hybrid
    Blog Entries
    I slip the clutch all the way threw first gear till the frount touches the ground and slap it into second and hang on again
    "Instructions are just the manufacturers opinion on how to install it" Tim Taylor of "Tool Time"
    “Saying what we think gives us a wider conversational range than saying what we know.” - Cullen Hightower

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    Get over the front, give the clutch hell, and to help stop it wheelstanding make sure your front suspension actually has rebound damping. Use a higher gear if you can get away with it and save a change.

Bike
    RG50 and 76 Suzuki GP125 Buckets
    In Buckets at Mt Welly, starting is everything

On my stroker I have found carb set up to be important for fast starts. It needs to be crisp and clean.

The technique at flag drop is to crack the throttle wide open and hold it there while limiting the rev’s with the clutch.

I start in first and have my foot resting on the gear leaver ready to select second (race shift, push down to change up) and usually only lurch forward two or three bike lengths in first at full rpm and major clutch slip before shifting into second.

Then it’s another big handful of throttle and more major clutch slip until I have some good speed on, then up shift to third and another caning on the clutch. I don’t usually let the clutch fully out in any gear until I am well under way in third.

By holding a nearly wide open throttle and slipping the clutch all the way in the first three gears I can hover the front wheel to the first corner and race shift makes changing up easier.

If the carburation is crisp and clean when I snap the throttle open, I can get a very fast start

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeynz View Post
    Reaction time makes up a big part of getting off the line quick.
    If you look for it, you can see the flaggy tense ever so slightly before dropping the flag. When he tenses its time to go.........

Bike
    Several
    Quote Originally Posted by TZ350 View Post
    If you look for it, you can see the flaggy tense ever so slightly before dropping the flag. When he tenses its time to go.........
    Unless he is just fucking with ya!

I have a good laugh when the starter feigns the drop.
    Heinz Varieties

Bike
    CBR, RGV Racer, Bucket
    In our case, at ruapuna we quite often use the lights

Bike
    nope ... gone burger
    easier to buy horse power then lose weight hey mate - not so in buckets it seems

.... back in green and feeling great ....

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by koba View Post

It has happened.....................and.................while.........:slap:

Bike
    I just lost count
    thanks guys, seems I am not doing anything wrong, I am just not doing the right stuff well enough.

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaNanna View Post
    easier to buy horse power then lose weight hey mate - not so in buckets it seems
    No it is still true. I am just too much of a cheap prick

For the record Qkkid was in my bed, not the other way round

Quote Originally Posted by Yow Ling View Post
    Pumba is a wise man.

Bike
    B12
    Lemme know if you want some coaching Carl.
    Dunno if youve seen me at the drags, but my starts are like lightning.
    Quote Originally Posted by NinjaNanna View Post
    Wasn't me officer, honest, it was that morcs guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Littleman View Post
    Yeah I do recall, but dismissed it as being you when I saw both wheels on the ground.
    Quote Originally Posted by R6_kid View Post
    lulz, ever ridden a TL1000R? More to the point, ever ridden with teh Morcs? Didn't fink so.

Bike
    Hornet 900
    Quote Originally Posted by koba View Post

Or you can start the race when the flaggy is raising the flag

Bike
    Several
    Quote Originally Posted by Kendog View Post
    Or you can start the race when the flaggy is raising the flag
    Very good video!

Maybe we could make a rule somthing like: Caught on video conclusivley jumping the start means the offender must shout the camera operator a beer.

Or maybe run do a lap of the track in their undies....
    Heinz Varieties

Thread Information