Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 34424344

Thread: Tickets for 4km/h over the speed limit this Queens Birthday weekend

Bike
    R1150RT
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oneofsix View Post
    Now all they need is a system that makes it profitable to fine people for going in the water when they can't swim.
    I'm sure they're working on that, do you get a licence label to pin to your speedos.

Bike
    2009 TBird Big Bore 1700
    Quote Originally Posted by Bald Eagle View Post
    I'm sure they're working on that, do you get a licence label to pin to your speedos.
    and fluro water wings as compulsory
    Shaken, not stirred in the shakey city!

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    yeah they have got them sorted. Make it too expensive for school to keep their pools open and the curriculum impossible to fit swimming lessons in. Now all they need is a system that makes it profitable to fine people for going in the water when they can't swim.
    Pound to a pinch of shit there's more drownings now than there was before that wee "initiative".

Still, look on the bright side, drownings cost ACC fuck all.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    2009 TBird Big Bore 1700
    yeah they have got them sorted. Make it too expensive for school to keep their pools open and the curriculum impossible to fit swimming lessons in. Now all they need is a system that makes it profitable to fine people for going in the water when they can't swim.
    and it's funny how swimming lessons used to be a part of the school curriculum, but driving never was (and still isn't). Yet driving is a much more useful tool in the big wide world, especially when it comes to employment opportunities. Yes, even more so than algebra!
    Shaken, not stirred in the shakey city!

Bike
    Kate
    Quote Originally Posted by ukusa View Post
    and it's funny how swimming lessons used to be a part of the school curriculum, but driving never was (and still isn't). Yet driving is a much more useful tool in the big wide world, especially when it comes to employment opportunities. Yes, even more so than algebra!
    Swimming you are best to learn young. Driving is best left until later and more subject to personal choice as to what if anything you drive. In a country surrounded with water and fill of lakes and rivers swimming is a must.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    In pioneering days drownings were referred to as "The New Zealand death" so common were they. It seems that for various reasons they may be about to make a big jump in the statistics again?

When I went to school basically every kid learned to swim. The teachers I recall were all male. Perhaps too many female teachers are more interested in art than sport?

Reportedly schools don't have sufficient funding to operate their pools, interesting to contemplate whether that is correct of whether it is actually a question of priorities?

Whatever, it will cost lives. But nobody will be responsible...
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Kate
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    In pioneering days drownings were referred to as "The New Zealand death" so common were they. It seems that for various reasons they may be about to make a big jump in the statistics again?

When I went to school basically every kid learned to swim. The teachers I recall were all male. Perhaps too many female teachers are more interested in art than sport?

Reportedly schools don't have sufficient funding to operate their pools, interesting to contemplate whether that is correct of whether it is actually a question of priorities?

Funds to run pools has the potential to be a political football. It can be shown they have the money it is how the chose to spend it but really if you don't already have the trained staff the school is kind of screwed. To run the pool they need trained life saving staff, trained chemical handling staff and all the other shit to meet OSH requirements. As i understand it it is the cost of meeting the OSH and other regulation's requirements that is killing most school pools, not the cost of running the pool itself.

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    F To run the pool they need trained life saving staff, trained chemical handling staff and all the other shit to meet OSH requirements. As i understand it it is the cost of meeting the OSH and other regulation's requirements that is killing most school pools, not the cost of running the pool itself.
    Hardly worth it all - just to prevent a kid or two from drowning eh...
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post

Still, look on the bright side, drownings cost ACC fuck all.
    But tetraplegics caused by diving into shallow water must cost them a bundle eh...
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    GSXR750, KTM350EXCF
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post

You must have been at a posh school, we were told to run to the beach and swim there.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BoristheBiter View Post
    You must have been at a posh school, we were told to run to the beach and swim there.
    In Christchurch I went to school on the airport, it woulda been a long run to the beach. Although with all the shaking going on down there the sea may be getting closer?
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Kate
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
    But tetraplegics caused by diving into shallow water must cost them a bundle eh...
    only if rescued before they drowned

Bike
    Kate
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
    Hardly worth it all - just to prevent a kid or two from drowning eh...
    exactly. I mean if they can't afford an rich kids private school then the chances are they are going to cost the govt. in welfare benefits and if you can't drown them at birth I guess not teaching them to swim in a wet, island country is the next best thing.
    This coupled with the enforced secrecy around suicides we should be able to cut benefit dependence in the lower middle section of the community. Pity the bottom feeders are too doped out to make it to the nearest body of water or get depressed enough about their status to relieve the wealthy of their presence.
    Last edited by oneofsix; 24th June 2011 at 08:16. Reason: added sarcasim

Thread Information